I done did it now...

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

I done did it now...

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:38 pm

A week ago I picked up a new buddy, his name is Buzz, a little hell on paws is what he is. I had many guys email/PM me here and on other sites saying get another dog right away, I still have reservations because I take a while normally before getting another dog in the past, but decided to keep an open mind and go for it. I guess I'll see how it pans out. Hopefully Buzz will be retreiving snow geese by March/April time frame. He'll weigh in the high 60's when full grown. He is a fully pedigreed GR with many FCH, HRC titles in the lineage. And to top it off, my 1st GRs Grandfather appears 4 times in this little squirts lineage, so kind of cool that many many generations ago he is related to my 1st GR that died of cancer almost 13 years ago when he was 14.

He still has not figured out that he is not to pee in the house. :pissed: I have caught him at least once if not twice a day peeing and scolding him and saying outside and then putting him out. He knows what out means and if I ask he runs to the door, but has not clicked he is to tell me he has to go out. He has peed in the house more times in 2 days than Casey did in his 1st year and I got Casey at 3 weeks younger.

He Pees often--like every 1.5 hrs, 4hrs max at night. Seems that is too often whn compared to past pups, can any breeders/vets shed some light on how often is normal? I'm wondering if he has a small bladder or ? He is about 24 lbs now.

And he has been throwing up for most of the day, 5 different times... so much for the carpeting... :oops:

And the puppy breath, oh please...its bad enough to curl up an ass whisker it so bad.

How come I did not remember this about pups? :laughing: Lord please give me patince as I sure do need it. :yes:

Otherwise he is already too smart for his own good. It took him 1 day to figure out how to get up on my bed. :eek: He brings back his retrieving dummies to hand. Has learned sit, off (no jumping on you) and starting to learn stay.

Buzz at 3 months, the day after I got him on the 19th.
[siteimg]1268[/siteimg]
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby notceaubrite » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:15 pm

Good luck with your new Swamp Collie. :getdown:

Here's to many successful hunting seasons.

Davin
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
notceaubrite
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:53 pm

h20, get that pup a kennel and keep him in it everytime you can't watch him. That will curb the accidents inside. He will whine at first when you put him in it, but just leave him alone. He will get used to it. As far as the peeing times goes, sounds about right to me. Those dang pups pee all the time. Any time they get just a little bit excited they let it go.

I took ACE out about every hour and set him down in the grass. They can't help but pee when put down in wet grass.

good luck buddy. :thumbsup:

and congratulations.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby tstrong » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:19 pm

This is my 1st hunting dog but I told myself the next dog I get I'll also take some time off to curb some of the issues I had. It takes time and repetition. Just my 2 cents. Good looking pup and sorry to hear about Casie.
tstrong
hunter

Postby bullet » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:16 am

Congats on Buzz. I watched your other thread and am real happy for you. He'll learn all the housebreaking stuff faster then you'd think.
Remember..sit means sit.....no such thing as stay. If you don't have a whistle get one and when you say sit, follow it with a short blast. He'll be sitting on whistle before he learns how to pee outside :getdown:
bullet
hunter

Postby pointimgdogs » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:48 pm

Congratulations . Sounds like your are in love. :getdown: :getdown:
pointimgdogs
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:53 pm

congratulations h2o, I'm sure he'll be a great worker for you! Tell us how it is going from time to time.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:44 pm

I agree with Ace. Get that pup a crate and put him in there, you will thank yourself!

Cute pup, sounds like he will be a champ...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:58 am

About every hour and a half sounds normal for a pup. Pay particular attention when Buzz is playing and the moment he stops take him out and as soon as he wakes up from a nap or gets done eating or drinking, take him out. I am glad to see you have a new partner, I hope the two of you have many great seasons togeather.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby brdprey » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:53 am

notceaubrite wrote:Good luck with your new Swamp Collie. :getdown:

Here's to many successful hunting seasons.

Davin

ya know i dont know why but that is a funny call name, almost need to make it his handle on cb.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:22 am

I'm glad for you and your new pup, H2O. Buzz has some big paws to fill................good luck and remember to have fun.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:52 am

His offical name is Maxhaven's Super Bee, thus the Buzz call name given to him by the breeder.

Buzz went through 5 small bones in a week, so I got him a 2' long one with the knots the size of a softball. :mrgreen: He is getting darker already, he is losing his puppy blond hair.

Buzz with 1st live bird a few weeks ago

Buzz at 4 weeks
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:09 pm

Congrats on the new pup H20. He's a cute one.

Remember not to compare the two. It's hard, but this is a new dog and it will do things differently probably.

Keep your memories with Casey and keep an open mind about the new pup.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:08 pm

Remember praise is more important in puppy training than scolding. Try this. instead of opening the door for him and sending him out to do his buisness,go out with him, pick a spot that you would perfer him to go for the rest of his life, encourage him to go in that spot and when he does praise the hell out of him ,praise him like you would if he just came back from a 200 yard retrieve with a wing tipped canvasback. You might want to give him a treat just to make sure he knows how good he is. Do this for a week and not only will he not pee in the house but you won't step in dog crap anymore because you will know where it will always be.
Brian gave you very good advice Dont compare he will not be the same but will have his own wonderfull qualities if you give him a chance to show you. One more thing on the peeing in the house. I's up to you as his care giver to antisipate his moves, puppies almost always pee when they wake up, pee afer running around and playing and after they have a drink. Read your pup and scoop him up in your arms before the crime can be commited and take him to his "spot".
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:13 pm

h2o, that is one cute pup you have there! ACE and 98ram are right -- a crate is the major thing that helped us housebreak Gus in the end. Good luck, he looks like a great dog!
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:53 pm

ACEBLDRS wrote:h20, get that pup a kennel and keep him in it everytime you can't watch him.

:withstupid:

get a kennel
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:35 pm

Way to go h2o, you've got a nice looking pup there :thumbsup: . Just remember that it takes time and patients to groom a pup into a finished dog and a pup is a pup for at least 3 years. Good luck and enjoy every moment. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:08 pm

How's he doin' these days since we last spoke?
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Congrats

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:31 pm

Sounds like you have the makings of a great dog. We aren't much further ahead of you in this venture. Consistancy and crate is all I can say. It'll get better at night, or at least you hope so. :yes:
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

buzz

Postby 2 tollers » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:49 pm

Great looking dog. nice potential with the bird return. you are in for some fun times.
2 tollers
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum