too old?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

too old?

Postby NOVAggie » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:57 pm

i stareed a trainign thread but was kinda curious if y'all think trying to train a dog starting at 6months is too old? all the books and videos say starting at 8 weeks is a must.

I am not getting rid of the dog or anyhting, just seeing what the opinions or experiences were.

thanks
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby notceaubrite » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:11 pm

The dog is not too old.

Just take your time getting the informal OB done. It all depends on how the dog was socialized as a pup or if its a social retard that spent all its time in the kennel. If its a well rounded pup, I'd say spend the first 1-2 months doing informal OB then jump into formal.

Good luck.

Davin
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
notceaubrite
hunter

Postby Thunder Force Kennels » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:30 pm

6 months is when most Pros take dogs. I prefer to have some socialization to birds, gunfire and water before 6 months but it's not a must.
Thunder Force Kennels
account suspended for biz name useage

Postby Mallard Machine » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:25 am

At 6 months it seems that the dog just begins listening to commands more often and you can tell just by the way he acts that he wants to keep learning, so i would say your starting at a good time don't worry about it. Just make sure u work awhile everyday with him. I would get on bird socialization and gun fire ASAP though
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby mallardman68 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:43 am

My chocloate lab died in April, my black lab(her son) was suddenly thrust into the spotlight at 2 1/2 years old, before she died he had zero solo hunts and one retrieve on an actual bird. Beginning in April I trained him daily with the dokken dummies and he showed great promise, in September he did so-so with dove, but in October he really began to shine.Now it is December and he not only loves retrieving land and water but has become an upland dog as well. It is never too late to train your dog.
Save a duck-shoot a predator!
mallardman68
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:33 am

mallardman68 wrote: It is never too late to train your dog.

You are right, but it does take a bit more intense training, and a bit longer some times.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:54 am

Don't despair the Immortal "King Buck" never got selected from the breeder intill he was 6 months old. A lot depends on what went on for the first 6 months of his life. What sins he got away with etc. It might not be as easy as a 7 week old pup because the slate hasn't been written on yet all you have to do is write on the slate in CAPITAL LETTERS.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:51 am

first off stop reading water dog!!! training can be started where ever you want it to but you have to start at the begining. if the dog is 1 month or 5 years old you start with OB, when that is rock solid you go on from there. my best dog hands down didn't get much of anythnig untill she was 2 years old. she now is a well manered, high drive, impressive retriever. I will say that there are chalanges to an older dog like breaking bad habits and teaching them how to learn. good luck!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:38 am

Starting today would be perfect timing. Just remember the easiest thing to say and the hardest thing to demonstrate is.....patience.

Dogs are a lot like teenage sons, so demonstrating patience is hard. I have both dogs and teenage sons, so I am in training also. :yes:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum