Duck Hunting Forum banner

too old?

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Rat Creek 
#1 ·
i stareed a trainign thread but was kinda curious if y'all think trying to train a dog starting at 6months is too old? all the books and videos say starting at 8 weeks is a must.

I am not getting rid of the dog or anyhting, just seeing what the opinions or experiences were.

thanks

#2 ·
The dog is not too old.

Just take your time getting the informal OB done. It all depends on how the dog was socialized as a pup or if its a social retard that spent all its time in the kennel. If its a well rounded pup, I'd say spend the first 1-2 months doing informal OB then jump into formal.

Good luck.

Davin

#4 ·
At 6 months it seems that the dog just begins listening to commands more often and you can tell just by the way he acts that he wants to keep learning, so i would say your starting at a good time don't worry about it. Just make sure u work awhile everyday with him. I would get on bird socialization and gun fire ASAP though

#5 ·
My chocloate lab died in April, my black lab(her son) was suddenly thrust into the spotlight at 2 1/2 years old, before she died he had zero solo hunts and one retrieve on an actual bird. Beginning in April I trained him daily with the dokken dummies and he showed great promise, in September he did so-so with dove, but in October he really began to shine.Now it is December and he not only loves retrieving land and water but has become an upland dog as well. It is never too late to train your dog.

#7 ·
Don't despair the Immortal "King Buck" never got selected from the breeder intill he was 6 months old. A lot depends on what went on for the first 6 months of his life. What sins he got away with etc. It might not be as easy as a 7 week old pup because the slate hasn't been written on yet all you have to do is write on the slate in CAPITAL LETTERS.

#8 ·
first off stop reading water dog!!! training can be started where ever you want it to but you have to start at the begining. if the dog is 1 month or 5 years old you start with OB, when that is rock solid you go on from there. my best dog hands down didn't get much of anythnig untill she was 2 years old. she now is a well manered, high drive, impressive retriever. I will say that there are chalanges to an older dog like breaking bad habits and teaching them how to learn. good luck!!

#9 ·
Starting today would be perfect timing. Just remember the easiest thing to say and the hardest thing to demonstrate is.....patience.

Dogs are a lot like teenage sons, so demonstrating patience is hard. I have both dogs and teenage sons, so I am in training also. :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.