Dokkens dead fowl trainers

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Dokkens dead fowl trainers

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:14 pm

$30 bucks for a dang retrieving dummy. I just one tonight to work with my younger female lab. I put a little duck scent in/on it and she is really excited about it. It also has a hard plastic head and feet so if the dog shakes it smacks them in the head. I didn't really use this on my chessie, but kind of wish I would have now...

Anyone have any thoughts on the dokkens dumbies? Worth the $30? I think its a good addition to the piles of bumpers in the back of my truck.....
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:18 pm

I was always going to get one for my lab, but I never have yet, but I think they would work great for your dog.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:59 pm

They are pricey, but they are great. I have a bunch of them in different sizes. From teal to Canada goose.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:12 am

Ya there too expensive for what they are realy, but there awsome, I don't have neer as may as bumpers, but I got a couple, get a horse syringe and inject the sent into it, your dog will like it even more,
phillipstd
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:33 pm

yeah I put a bunch of duck scent in it and just got back from scouting a couple spots. I was shooting over the dokkens and the dog was pretty excited. I can't wait for the season to open down here!!!
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:13 pm

What do you mean DOWN here?!? You are UP there, I am DOWN here!

:salude:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:51 am

I have 3 mallards, 3 teal and a canada goose Dokken. My pup really gets excited for these dummies. Much more so than a regular dummy.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:48 pm

yeah they are really nice and dogs deffently like them more then reg. bumpers ... jsut don'e let you young walker hound get a hold of it... they don't alst near as long... :pissed:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aaron » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:26 pm

Don't know what it is..but,you can take a dog who couldn't care less about a bumper and he'll go crazy for the Dokkens !!
aaron
hunter

Postby zx2dxz » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:59 pm

Yes they are worth the money, the hard head makes the dog grab by the body and not the head. Easy to throw and come in all shapes sizes and color. You can even inject scent into the dummy also sold where any Dokken DFT can be purchased. Plus to further your training Dokkens also offer the diver DFT, with this it trains your dog to circle while waiting for the bird to resurface.

Yes I know I might sound like an ad, nope its just that I work at Dokkens and have thrown 100s of these.

lata, 2d
zx2dxz
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:33 pm

I'll tell you what. I've seen the diving DFT and it looks AWESOME! It is so hard to actually teach a dog that:

a) ducks will dive
b) sometimes they will surface
c) they (the dog) should stay in the last area they saw it

I've always relied on 'experience', but the diving DFT looks like the ticket!
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby brdprey » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:10 pm

Earlier someone mentioned that it helped the dog decide to pic up the item from the body. well i had to laugh because tanner .. he likes to pick up the goos one by the head.........not sure why........the small duck yes...the mallard yes.....but he has onlypicked the goos up twice by the bocy and the rest of the time by the head.......should i be concerned....

other wise.......these dummies are great. yes expensive but great..i like the weight issue each one has .......
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:13 pm

IMO if the dog brings the goose back, leave it... Don't ruin a good thing.

JMO. Sometimes people get wrapped up in style points. As far as I am concerned, if the dog brings my bird back, listens, and doesn't ruin hunts, then hes great!

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Dokken DFT

Postby claypigeon » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:42 pm

I just bought 3 DFT's ( 2 mallards & 1 Woodie ) and agree they are worth the money. Mine cost $24.99 each thru Gun Dog Supply in MS. Steve Schnell and his crew are GREAT to do business with. I also agree my ogs SEEM to be more enthusiastic about these than reg. bumpers. I did not buy the scent injector, tho....think I might ahve made a mistake by not taking this as well....Anyway, they are "high", but like the old Jew, Abe Rubinek said, "Quality pays, not costs."
" Show me a man who cannot bother to do little things and I will show you a man who cannot be trusted to do big things. "

Lawrence "Larry" Bell
Founder, Bell Aviation
claypigeon
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:49 am

Gundog supply is a great company to deal with. I second that statement!

:thumbsup:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum