Whoa

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Whoa

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:35 pm

How do I go about teaching my dog this command? Any ideas?

Thanks Guys

Matt
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:58 am

what are you doing with the dog where as you need to say whoa?? like the pointing whoa?? start by not telling her to sit, just say whoa and maker hold still instead, pet her chest, it's just a word that means hold still or hold point. so you can catch up too a pointing dog before the bird flushes.
phillipstd
hunter

Whoa

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:32 am

He is a Brittany. We use hime as a quail/pheasant/waterfowl dog. The people that had him before us didn't teach him much. We taught him to retrieve and sit and wait for ducks. The problem we have is that he only holds a point for maybe a minute before he busts the covey. He usually ranges too, so we are no where near when he busts them. Then he runs behind them barking. I am about ready to consider him worthless.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:32 pm

Do you have an e-colar?

I would get a pigeon or a live bird (tie teh wings) and have him lock on it. If he busts before you command, let the e-colar discipline him?

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby b c g s » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:09 pm

[b][i]Im sorry but bad idea about getting him with the e-collar on a live bird ,,,u might get the dog thinking that the bird is whats hurting him and u dont want that .....You could try by using a check cord with a bird and just keep reinforceing the whoa command but I would not put to much pressure on the dog while being on birds you might make him shut down. If you really want to teach him whoa you can teach him just in the yard with no birds. Another way to do that is with a barrel have him stand on it and because he is unsteady on his feet he will learn that the more he stands still that the eiser it is. You can teach him whoa by healing him and stoping and saying whoa. Basically the whoa command is a stay command in the standing position. Once he knows whoa you can use the e-collar to enforce the command and you can do this in the yard you dont need birds to do this. There is several different books with several different ways to teach a dog to whoa.

Hope this helps you out

This is my opinion on what would be the best way.
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:10 pm

Don't ever use the SIT word around your dog anymore. You'll want to use down for lay down and whoa. Same goes with the rest of your family - they need to know how to communicate with the dog too. If they're using sit when your not around your training is useless. Patience and time is all you need. Once he starts to understand the whoa command then get the e collar. Be consistent.
tstrong
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:23 am

I would never under any circumstances use an e-collar on a dog while on point or right after a point. Doing so makes the dog think that what he's doing (pointing birds) is wrong and will deter him from doing so in the future. My dog was really bad about this her first season, even busting birds that the older dog had pointed. As mentioned above exercises in the yard would be best to introduce the command. If he/she can't control himself in the field and still busts them then I think a check chord would be in order, but don't shock him out there after he's gotten a nose full of sweet smell.
GADKHNTR
hunter

Whoa

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:57 pm

Since he already knows the command to sit do I just tell him whoa instead? Thanks for all your help guys.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:38 pm

bear creek guide service wrote:[b][i]You could try by using a check cord with a bird and just keep reinforceing the whoa command

THAT is the way to do it. Just like any other OB training it will take time, so be patient.

As for never saying SIT, I don't know where that came from. That is crazy. Use sit just like you always have. Just teach him WHOA.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby tstrong » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:52 pm

Sorry if you don't agree, but since the dog has been told to sit since day one it's going to be very difficult to break him of that. Pointing dogs are taught whoa and down for (lay down). If you want the sit command introduce that later.
Good luck
tstrong
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:28 pm

tstrong wrote:Sorry if you don't agree

You're right, I was wrong. For some reason I was thrown off by the age of the dog & that I had just read something on his retriever training.

But that is a good question. Normally with bird dogs you teach sit after whoa for a reason. What if the dog already knows sit? Just because you quit using the command that doesn't change the fact that he is used to assuming a certain posture when you are giving commands.

Again, sorry for saying the whole crazy thing.

:salude:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby tstrong » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:21 pm

No offense taken.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Hawk » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:02 am

The barrel in the backyard is the way I was told to train my dog.
problem with that is getting the dog on the barrel and keeping him on there. Check cord is the best bet. controling him at a short distance is the key. YOU CONTROL the dog and the situation. Live birds will do the trick, just remember don't go fast and add distance in small doses. the key is to be in control and have fun. Don't execpt alot the first couple of times he'll busts out. with a short lead on the check cord and few whoas enforced and alot of attaboys should work , don't punish him for breaking, it's his nature. Live pigeons will work if you can't find any game birds. You can also leave them in a cage and train the dog that way. save$$$$
Good luck, Hawk
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:05 am

A check cord and a long spike. tell him whoa stick spike in ground and dalley off the rope he cant go forward if he moves dont say anything just pick him up and put him back then say whoa. reward him and move on repitition is the key
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:49 pm

I recently attended a dog training class put on by the Ruffed Grouse Society (good people) up here and the guy doing most of the teaching made up small platforms with 2x4's for a base and plywood for a platform and made them about 2ft by 3 ft. He made four or five of them and put a few outside and a few in different rooms of his house and every chance he got he would put the dog on the platform and say whoa. When the dog would hop off he would put it back on and say whoa again. That way the dog gets the idea to stay still, and not have to sit. He said that after he gets the dogs to understand and obey whoa on the platforms he switches to a barrel to further steady them.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:28 pm

Check cord and a pinch collar (not a choke chain). It will take time, but repetition will get it done. Pointers take to whoa pretty well because of the natural pointing ability.

You can be doing anything with the dog (training, walking, whatever). Command a firm Whoa and give a mild tug on the check cord a second later. Obviously, you won’t be doing this while the dog is running.

Once the dog gets a good hang of it, you can start walking to one side or in front of the dog to make sure it doesn’t break. At first, you will want to put the rope around something to keep the rope secured from behind the dog. I just used small trees for this. The dog whoa’s, I walk around the small tree and up the side of the dog (ten feet to the side), like I am approaching a covey. I am able to keep control of the check cord while the dog gets used to me moving in front. Letting you or any other dog take the lead is tough because dogs naturally want to lead the way.

It is no more complicated than that. Once the dog has it down, it is like a magic trick. People come to our house and throw a ball for our dog. My kids say Whoa and the dog freezes. People are amazed. Our release word is “Okay” which the kids use as soon as everyone is done admiring the living statue.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum