male versus female labs help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

male versus female labs help

Postby fowlhunter8 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:35 am

ok i have had a planned breed with my dads yellow lab wich is on the smaller side great female hunter very obediant and has very good drive and great house dog but when i gets colder she starts to have quite the attitude i bread to a really great upland/waterfowler yellow lab that has amazing drive and loves the wated but he has never hunted late seaeson ducks his owner is a fair weathjer ducker then switched to pheasnts

in these pups i am notising most of the pup seem to have follewed mom color lines but seem to have the big blocky head and to me look to be going top me the big and broader dogs like the male

my question is to you all ?
how many of you have male hunting dogs and are the house pets? why did you get a male any problems? did you have them fixed?

and the same for the girls how many have them why did you get female are they house dogs

i have had all female labs so far but my favorite pup up till this point is a very light almost white male there is a pretty light female to put the male is so cool looking i want to keep him but the only male i have had was a big dumb chessy and he was out of control with his hormones

a note on the litter they are one wwek old and all are healthy so i have some time to choose but there were 5 males all yellow/ red and 2 females same color

thansk for any info
Randy
fowlhunter8
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:50 pm

I have 2 males and 1 female they are house dogs and hunting dogs. I prefer the males since I don't have to worry about heat cycle since they always tend to come in heat during hunting season and they are in for about 21 days.
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Postby notceaubrite » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:34 pm

I have never bought into the idea that males are better becuase of the female-heat cycle thing. What would stop you from hunting a female in season? I know some females go completely retarded but most are just fine. Plus, females go in season twice a year but an intact male is in season 24/7.

Davin
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
notceaubrite
hunter

are the males fixed

Postby fowlhunter8 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:11 am

diont they hump everything and anything
come people i know you alll have dogs post your report
fowlhunter8
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:59 am

In my experience females tend to listen better, but they aren't as aggressive. But with proper training you shouldn't have a problem either way. Males tend to be larger also if you are interested in a big dog. Depends on what you are interested in. I believe a male may be more apt to charge after that goose and drag it back to you, however not saying that a female won't get-r-done, I hunt with a female Weimaraner and wouldn't trade her for the world.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby pointimgdogs » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:36 pm

When you’re talking labs their all less intelligent. :getdown: :getdown: :getdown: :laughing: :laughing:
pointimgdogs
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:56 am

:salude: :toofunny: :laughing: :withstupid:
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:53 am

Well pointers aren't a bad dog if they don't gotta get in the water, if u hunt in water till their belly your ok, but you get them in the water and all u can see is lots of splashing and nothing happening. Their a good dog if u only wanna shoot one duck a day because by the time they swim (IF THAT'S WHAT YOU CALL IT) out there, pick the duck up and get turned around, I mean it takes them a circumference of 500 feet to turn in the water b/c they don't have a router like a LAB and by that time you've got 2 more ducks down in the water and your dogs tired and when they get back to the blind they need a good hour to rest to get the other duck that you shot. So i would say if u want to use a POINTER for duck hunting You need A. GOOD WADERS B. BOAT WITH LOTS OF GAS B/C YOUR GONNA HAVE TO GO PICK YOUR DUCKS UP WHILE THE DOG REST C. A HEATER FOR THE BLIND TO KEEP THE DOG WARM IN EARLY OCTOBER OR D-- BRING A LAB!!!!!!!AND SEE WHAT DUCK HUNTING WITH A REAL DOG IS LIKE!

No hard feelings boys, but i love MY LABS when it comes to duck hunting
POINTERS take the field YES but not the water sport.
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:25 pm

I agree use a retriever then you only need one club in the bag instead of 2 the retrievers can handle the cold a lot better than a pointer especially when it becomes a water retrieve. Even though the GSP is a verstile pointer they can't handle the cold like a Lab, Chessie, or Golden.
h2oknine
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:56 pm

i got a black male and he is the house pet. i bought the bigest male in the litter because of where i hunt. i hunt the rivers and when it gets to be january here in montana i need a strong dog. he is better with all of my little cousins than my female is. the female does seem to listen better, but the male has more of a instince duck hunting than the female. i love them both but i dont feel as bad sending the male that is twice as big in the ice cold water than the female
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby mallardman68 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:16 am

I have had both male and female, black and chocolate, seems to be lots of "tales" going around about chocolates not being up to par with the blacks and yellows, and more "tales" about why to choose one sex over the other. My input is this.....the dog is going to have some natural ability regardless of color or sex, it is up to the owner to fine tune these abilities and maximise the dogs natural instinct. I have a black male now, he is 3 yrs old and is the puppy of the chocolate pictured to the left, she died suddenly in April and he was thrust into action with virtually no "break-in" period. He has responded far above my expectations and has just recently begun hunting upland as well. However......IMO...he is alot more hardheaded than was his mother, is alot more high strung and has not shown me the natural instinct she had.......BUT........again this is his first full season and with every hunt he seems to gain a better understanding of what we are trying to do. The absolute best asset my choc had was her nose, in 9 seasons hunting I lost only 2 birds, and one of them swam into a muskrat hole.
Personally I like the bigger labs, mine is 90 lbs now and the choc was a healthy 100, I want a dog that won't hesitate to go pick up a large bird. And all of the labs I have owned have been inside dogs, 3 were males and 2 were females.......IMO the females was easier to train.
Save a duck-shoot a predator!
mallardman68
hunter

Postby decoydog » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:32 am

I have always had males, but I have my first female and she is in heat. I will not hunt her out respect for my fellow hunters. Notceubrite wrote: " what would be wrong about hunting a female in heat?" My response would be " Everything". This cinerio has happened to me: I take my male for a duck hunt, but my dog is gone the whole time because he is in the next blind attempting to give the female in heat " the business ". Out of respect for other hunters, keep your females that are in heat, at home. As for me, I prefer males, but I do love the female I do have. But as for you, do what your most comfortable in doing.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby notceaubrite » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:51 am

I dont have a dog that goes into heat during the hunting season but she does go in during the FT/HT season. I'd much rather have it be during hunting season. Plus I live in an area where you dont have to worry about someone one blind over.

But this is something that could go round and round. You say you shouldn't hunt a bitch in season, but if your dog was neutered or better trained you wouldn't have as much to worry about. (Disclaimer: I am not saying your dog isn't well trained.)

I would never hunt a bitch in season if I was hunting with another intact male. That is just common sense. But if she was the only dog and didn't go retarded, she would go.

To each their own

Davin
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
notceaubrite
hunter

Postby decoydog » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:06 am

I will agree with you, that you would not have to worry about a female in heat if you were on private property or some other place isolated from other hunters. However, it does not matter how well trained your male is, when a female stops the bleeding process and goes into full blown heat, the male will " catch wind " of their sent and will do anything to get at them. That includes being a "stealthy ninja " and sneak out of the blind in the dark to get at her. I have heard hunters in the field almost come to blows because one of them has a female in heat out pheasant hunting, and the male will not leave her alone.
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:37 pm

I agree on on the last 2 post about hunting with a female in season it can be a distraction for both male dogs and their owners. As a Trainer and when we train as a club we encourage our members to bring their dogs that are heat. We only bring one dog out at a time or make sure they are same sex so we don't get any accidents. We will run them at different time of the exercise so we have the scent in area so we can teach the dogs when its time to play or work no matter what kind of distractions there are. The other habit I get into is that there is only one place my dog gets to breed and that is in the kennel and no other place so he knows when he is in the field training or hunting he gets none of that type of Fun.
h2oknine
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:51 pm

I tend to stick with female dogs for all my hunting except for the coon/cat type hounds as they are more agressive, bigger, stronger dogs and if used to hunt coyotes you want the biggest most agressive hounds you can get or the yotes will be dinning on hound.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:45 am

My last two labs have been female and I don't entertain the idea of ever owning a male again. The trouble free dog is a spaded bitch. Females are better hunters , and if you don't believe this then why in nature , as in lions, tigers, wolfs or most of the large predetors the females are the ones that bring home the bacon. Females don't have the urge to piss all over the place and they don't hump children. I also believe females fall in love with you more than males. You might laugh at this, but when my females come into heat it would be easy to fire them in the kennel for the two weeks of bleeding but I don't want them to think their world has come to and end I cut a whole for the tail in a pair of disposable diapers( they come in all sizes) and let them in the house , and life goes on.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Penguine » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:27 am

Jim Broadbridge wrote: I also believe females fall in love with you more than males. You might laugh at this, but when my females come into heat it would be easy to fire them in the kennel for the two weeks of bleeding but I don't want them to think their world has come to and end I cut a whole for the tail in a pair of disposable diapers( they come in all sizes) and let them in the house , and life goes on.

My mini-daschund, STOP LAUGHING!!, just had her period... man I tried the diaper thing but she is just to damn small. Poor little pooch was hating life for the last couple weeks. Had to keep her kennled most of the time. When we would let her out we would have to put a towel on the couch or restrict her to the tile floor in the entrance to the house. We even tried the little tiny premie diapers. Damn 6lb dog!

*wishes he had a lab* :toofunny:
Penguine
hunter

Postby decoydog » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:32 am

Hey penguine, :toofunny: your making my sides ache from laughing. Man, you either have to buy a bigger dog or keep buying them towls. :thumbsup:
decoydog
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:14 pm

[
My mini-daschund, STOP LAUGHING!!,

*wishes he had a lab* :toofunny:[/quote]

I love doxies....belive it or not, my very first attempt at bird hunting was years ago with doves, a borrowed 28g, and my doxi.....I lost a few birds as I tried to get it through to him that they were MINE not his.

And BTW....I hunted alone, least I suffer the wrath of lab owners.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Bigpoppaf3 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:08 pm

Well as for the male female question, females are usually easier to train and not as hard headed. Males will usually run harder and longer than the females. I did a lot of reading on this when I was looking for a good duck dog. Most "experts" say the same thing but you will get different answers from different people depending on what they have.

My cousin has a yellow female and she is awsome, I was leaning towards a female until we went out with his hunting buddy and I saw his black male (Raider) run all day and ask for more. He must have some type of extra motor in him. I will admit my chocolate male has a lot of energy to spare and he will not stop.

Now for taking a female out in heat. My first gun dog was hit and killed by a car because someone had there female out when she was in season. I opened the kennel up and he was gone like a shot. He did not get to for before he was hit. I called him back and he looked back at me just about the time he was hit. Broke his neck, wife watched it and still says that "Bubba" is no "Nash". Yes I know I could have done something to stop him from running like that but he had never done it before. The hunter with the female in heat said that he had a couple of hunters the day before on him about his female. It is every hunters responsability to control there dog but sometimes a dog is a going to be a dog.
Cupped and Committed

Raider Nation!!
Bigpoppaf3
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:32 pm

the speed and endurance has to do with bloodline and size and desire instead of male or female. I have a female that wont stop and will run my males into the ground she is smaller than the males. As for trainability I havn't seen a difference I believe it is on each individual animal not on gender or color.
h2oknine
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:11 am

Use the right tool for the job. If the dog will be in cold water and swimming, get a water dog. I have a lab and a GSP, and the earlier post is correct. GSPs swim, but they look like a paddlewheel compared to labs, chessies, etc. And I think it is cruel and unusual punishment to put a “shorthaired” dog, with no undercoat into freezing situations. They are made to run, so keep them in the upland fields when it is cold.

As for the male vs female thing, I simply prefer the females. I think they are a little mellower and easier to handle. As for drive, I have never had a dog, male or female, lose drive or give up. I am done, waaaaay before they are. In fact, a separate post that would be interesting would be to find out how many relatively severe injuries have occurred to dogs that were not discovered until the hunt was over because the dogs just don’t slow or give up. Dogs are amazing creatures.

And heat cycles and leg humping can be cured by your vet for both males and females, and if we are honest with ourselves, we have no business breeding dogs anyway. :thumbsdown:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum