German Pointer's for waterfowl?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

German Pointer's for waterfowl?

Postby NoMansLand » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:22 am

Pheasent Season is in full swing down here in Oklahoma i was hunting with a guy who owned 2 German Wire Haired Pointers. He was saying the both the German Shorthair and Wirehair are great waterfowl dogs as well as upland, cause they have webbed feet. Is there any truth to the waterfowl abilities of the german breeds. Thanks for your help fella's.
We'll walk miles to hunt, but we won't walk across the street to vote? Go hunting Go farther to preserve it.
NoMansLand
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:27 am

A guy I hunt with owns 2 German Wire-Haired pointers they are 9 years old now. He doesn't hunt to female to often but he does she does good, she likes rabbit hunting and he never trained her for it she caught on herself. These 2 dogs would be his 6 and 7 GWP. He duck hunts his male ALL THE TIME. He's not a real real good swimmer (NO LAB IN WATER) but there hasn't been a duck get away from that dog that i've ever seen. We hunt a meadow down here in Minto, just a walk out of the road type thing and everytime we got out he ends up bringing us 1 or 2 ducks on the walk out. I am always amazed of how any dog works in the field but this guy just seems to be a special dog. We were hunting one morning and we hit a duck in the *** and it coasted for a good 500 yards before it fell and Sam said we'd wait till after the hunt to get him, so were sitting 5 mins later this dog is crying and just takes off, so Sam hollars his head off cursing at the dog thinking he's out chasing deer or something. It was a good 30 mins after I saw this brown thing comin through the woods with the big BLACK DUCK that we hit earlier in his mouth, he watched that duck fall and knew where it was and wanted it. That was really something. It's fun hunting with that type of dog 2 because after the morning duck hunt we usually go chasin woodcock and grouse so we got the ebst of both worlds in 1 dog. So yes i would highly recommend a GWHP or GSHP for duck hunting. UNLESS YOUR A LAB GUY LIKE ME!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

shorthair

Postby aarongreen123 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:28 am

my shorthais is a year old, and is like a fish in the water. he's got an exceptionally heavy coarse coat for a shorthair, so he can handle some low temps, but thats the biggest drawback with the pointers is keeping the little bastards warm. even the wirehairs with their thick coats, they're still no chessie.
aarongreen123
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:43 am

i've seen germans hold there own in the marsh's. only thing is temps. if your in the south or the early part of season a german is more that capable i think
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby mfetter » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:57 pm

I hunt my GSP all through the winter. I mostly duck and goose hunt with upland thrown in. Anyone who tells you that a german dog is not a good waterfowl dog has no idea that they are talking about. I also have a Drahthaar that is hunted year round. The GSP/GWP are versatile dogs they are expected through any organazation other than A-K-Crap :thumbsdown: to do more than there fair share of versatile work. I would suggest looking at the NAVHDA or Drahthaar sight.
mfetter
hunter

another ?

Postby NoMansLand » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:39 pm

What is the coldest temp any of you guys send a GSP or GWP in to the drink to retrieve?

Also what is a fair price for pup?

Thanks fellas youve been very helpful
We'll walk miles to hunt, but we won't walk across the street to vote? Go hunting Go farther to preserve it.
NoMansLand
hunter

Postby green head2 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:16 am

Are you looking for a dog that will do both or just curious how well a GSP is at hunting waterfowl A gsp wont make it in freezing temps I think 50 or so degrees would be the limit when the dog is going in and out of the water Hunting in a field put a vest on him and some booties up to freezing would probably be the limit They just dont have the coat for it IMO I think it would be cruel to send a pointer in to water at freezing temps and below freezing outside temps I dont know a lot about them But I have hunted behind them for upland a few times in snow and they wore out a lot faster than the labs After we were done hunting pheasents we left the GSP home and went hunting ducks with the labs and my chessie The panhandel can get pretty cold If your looking for a dog to hunt with I would look for a good lab for the area you live in As far as price for a pointer From free to the sky is the limit
green head2
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:29 am

yeah i think it is done more than people think but if you are going to get one for waterfowl get a gwp will hand cold better
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mfetter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:16 am

If you plan on hunting more waterfowl I would suggest a GWP---I only had a GSP till about a year ago and he was sent through the water all winter. Properly conditioning the dog to the colder temps is a must. A GSP can handle water FAR below 50. My GWP is used regardless of the temp. If you are looking for a versatile dog that will point, blood track and retrieve all winter look at a Drahthaar. You will be looking at around 1000.00, but well worth it. Not going through a back yard breeder for a GSP you are still looking at 700-800.
mfetter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:19 am

Mfetter, glad to see ya back. :thumbsup:

I own two shorthairs. Like others have mentioned, the only draw back with them, is the temps that you hunt in.

I don't want to hear a bunch of lab guys crying over this comment, but I truly believe that the pointing breeds have better noses than labs. This is a huge benefit when going after crips in the the marsh. My older female can track a duck without a problem through lilly pads.

If you want a dog for both upland and waterfowl, check out NAVHDA, like mfetter said. http://navhda.org/ The website will help you find a local chapter, and if you get in contact with a local chapter president, they can point you in the right direction as far as a local breeder.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby mfetter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:29 am

Thanks GSP--Getting married and work kept me off the computer for a couple of months :mrgreen:
If you cant find the duck you hit find someone with a DD.
mfetter
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:34 am

All dogs haved webbed feet. and most labs will point.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

GWP

Postby fishmunkee » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:42 am

I have a 2 yr old GWP who is driven as anything to get the bird when it goes down. He's my first hunting dog so we still have some issues but he will go in any temp water for a bird. I do use a neoprene vest when the temp dips when duck hunting but that is because he is sitting more often than moving. When upland hunting, he goes naked in any temp and is fine. He was jumping off the icy shore yesterday in a Wisconsin blizzard enthusiastically retrieving sticks and did not want to quit when I got cold. I love GWPs. You should be able to find a reputable breeder that has pups for $400-500 if you are not set on a "Drahthaar" lineage. I've never hunted with a dog more excited about birds ever.
fishmunkee
hunter

Postby mfetter » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:43 am

Most labs will "Stand" a bird---Not point and the ones even with the ones that do--I have yet to see ONE work and point half of what any versatile dog does.
If you cant find the duck you hit find someone with a DD.
mfetter
hunter

Postby terryg » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:39 pm

mfetter wrote:Most labs will "Stand" a bird---Not point and the ones even with the ones that do--I have yet to see ONE work and point half of what any versatile dog does.

then you just need to get around and see a few more dogs! :thumbsup:
terryg
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:50 pm

who ever said that labs are machines with fur then they havn't hunted with great hunting dogs or they just watch AKC field trials which they are just robots and couldn't find a bird even if you shoved it in their mouth. I run HRC Hunt test and am an avid hunter my dogs have to be able to work on their own in finding birds (down, crippled or upland) I want to be able to trust my dogs so I try to leave them alone or minimal contact when they are doing their job, but all in all they have a mind of their own and we work as a team.
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:32 am

Use common sense. Shorthaired dogs might survive cold water, but it isn’t what they are made for. I own both a lab and GSP, there is no comparison. It is like a sledge hammer and a finish hammer. Both work well in their situation, but aren’t particularly good at the other’s job.

This idea of conditioning for cold is bologna. No amount of exposure will make a shorthaired dog grow an undercoat. If this were true, you and I would put on fur like an ape in October. And the fact that all dogs have webbed feet, doesn’t make them all water dogs. This is simply a rationalization.

When I get done exercising the dogs, the lab takes three times as long to cool down, and it should. This is why they are so good in cold water. The GSP throws off heat like a hand warmer, thus allowing it to run all day long in the upland field. The right tool for the occasion. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum