2 New Question!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

2 New Question!

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:05 pm

1.My 4 yr old Brittany (yes a Brittany is our duck dog) takes off like a bat out of hell as soon as you throw something for him to go get, or a gun goes off. I have tried holding his collar, and he will stay as long as I am touching him. If he feels my hand move it is off to the races. Any ideas?

2. If any birds leave when the shooting is done he starts barking and tries to run and catch him. After he is done with this then he goes and gets the ones we shot. If I get question 1 figured out will it cure him? How do I get him to quit barking. I don't want to hit him.

He shows alot of desire to retrieve and won't let us leave without him if he sees camo and guns come out (a real pain during turkey season). I won't take him out if I think there is a possibility of someone being within earshot, cause when they shoot he thinks he needs to go check it out. My dad says the only way for him to learn is hunt since the people before us didn't take him at all. Thanks in advance.

Matt
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:24 pm

Put him on a lead that you or someone else is holding, command SIT, and then throw a mark. If he bolts he will get jolted back. Do this enough and he may get the idea.

It really all comes back to basic OB. In order to really demand steadiness he should know that SIT means that he should sit until told to do otherwise. All the basic OB commands come into play during the retrieve, that is why they need to be the initial focus of a retriever training program.

I love Brittanies, my Dad bred them when I was younger and I have trained about a dozen for upland work. Of all the classic upland breeds they are my favorite due to how they work and their temperment. However, they are like most upland breeds and can be a bit hard headed once their formative years have past. So, it might be a tough row to hoe in order to steady him. Don't use an e-collar, just stick with the lead. Worst case scenario is you have to keep him on lead while hunting. That would be MUCH better than him breaking on the gun and messing up shooting opportunities. I do believe that with enough time spent on lead while marking will steady the dog, it just might take awhile.

just my opinion.......

:withstupid:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:30 pm

oh, and for #2. Don't let any birds leave!

:thumbsup:

Actually, #1 will get you half way there. If he continues with the barking try the classic QUIET techniques. If they don't work and the barking persists, you'll have to deal with it for the rest of the season. After that, get him out and work on his retrieving in the Spring. Use shot birds and a bark collar. Don't let him retrieve everything. With enough time and maturity in his retrieving career, I would imagine he'll settle down.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm

yes,
and let him take three to six feet of leash before it get's tight, just remember to hold on to it, rememeber sit means sit right where I told you and don't move your a?? so when he creeps, put him back where you started, be firm about it, I think the barking thing takes time till they settle down a little.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:42 pm

dang, can't believe I forgot that part! That slack makes all the difference. Don't let him know he is on lead. Thanks for correcting me!

:salude:
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:26 am

This may be tougher to stop since he is already 4. I had the SAME problem with my chessie when he was younger. A veteran expert gave me this advise, and it worked like a charm, it just requires patience.

Take a 6 foot lead and attach it to a prong colar. Sit him beside you and step on the end of the lead, threw a bumper , dokkens or dead duck and when the dog tries to disobey and break, he can only move a little then it stops him. Make sure and keep your foot on the end of the lead.

When I did this my chessie was jumping up and down and barking for 15 minutes. Eventually the dog will understand what you want from him.

If your dog is not stubborn like mine, you may not have to use the prong colar, you might be able to just hold the check cord and he will get the point.

Some may not agree, but this solved my dog's habbit quick.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Dog

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:14 pm

I have to let some ducks leave. We had a flock of 30 gadwall come in last season. Me and the little brother cut 4. He barked and chased at the other 26 when they were leaving.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby DuckKillinD » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:38 am

get a bark collar 4 him
DuckKillinD
hunter

Postby NS39340 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:35 pm

try wrapping a 6 foot leash around your waist and clipping it to a choke collar and let him wait if he takes off he'll be stopped
NS39340
hunter

Postby mfetter » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:53 pm

Every one has given good advice. There is another thing that you may try as well. Attatch a check cord to a pinch collar, then take the remaining slack from the cord and put a half hitch around his waist. Doing it this way causes the dog to get pinched in two places. Only go to this after you have given just a check cord a try then the check cord and pinch collar then go to what I described above. When he is in full understanding of what he is supposed to do I would move to an e collar. Just like Steve said it all goes back to basic obedience. :thumbsup:
mfetter
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:01 pm

My dog used to run if we didn't get the bird or if it was a hen pheasant so my dad got a shock collar and that fixed it.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby mfetter » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:57 pm

With the PROPER introduction to an e collar he will stop the running, but you cant just buy a e collar strap it on the dog and expect him to know what is going on.

If an e collar is the way that you want to go do you and your dog a favor and research how to use one.
mfetter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum