Help with hand signals?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Help with hand signals?

Postby Champdog21 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:32 am

I have a female black lab that is 1 1/2 yo and am having trouble with hand signals. She has been FF and CC but when I sit her on the whistle, she sits but then looks around as if she is trying to find the bird herself instead of relying on me to give her direction. I have done the T-drill thing and the baseball diamond, but occasionally she just doesn't want to look at me. Is this a confidence thing that has to be built between me and the dog or is it something else? What do you guys think?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Champdog21
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:29 am

I wouldn't send her untill she locked on to me. try calling her in a few feet then sit again. if that don't work pull her all the way in and recast. DON"T let her get that bird till she does it right then praise well for a job done right.
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:05 am

A 1 1/2 year old dog could be bored with the game , to get their interest sparked up try walking baseball.I'm sure that will get her attention on you.
She has to learn that your the one that makes everything happen and nothing happens until you say so. Do you have children , do you play games with balls or frizbies etc. take away all toys . They are exstreamly intelligent animals ( brain capacity of a five year old child) if all she has to do is training and hunting she will watch you intently. I personally don't like the double T stuff in my opinion you are lying to your dog . You tell the dog the bird or dummy is on this line and if you follow my hand you will find the bird. then you blow the wistle and say OH I've change my mind its at 90 degrees to where i said it was. Is this anyway to build confidence between you and your hunting partner. Never lie to your dog and she will trust you. A little advice on the walking base ball, MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER WHERE YOU PUT THE DUMMY AND MAKE YOUR LINES TRUE.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:22 pm

hunt-chessies wrote:I wouldn't send her untill she locked on to me. try calling her in a few feet then sit again. if that don't work pull her all the way in and recast. DON"T let her get that bird till she does it right then praise well for a job done right.

I did this also. In the early days of hand signals and whistle sit. ACE wouldn't look at me. I would whistle in a couple of feet and that would usually get him squared up to me and his attention.

Another thing that worked well, in the training field, when first training handsignals. After sending him on a line, I would throw a bumper in between him and me and blow the wistle. When he turned around, the bumper would just be landing. This would get his attention back in my direction and square him up to me. This is something I did very briefly, to make him stop quickly on the whisle and quickly get his attention back to me.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Champdog21 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:00 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I will take what you all said in ming and try some of these things.
Champdog21
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum