new pup n' da gun

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

new pup n' da gun

Postby aarongreen123 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:36 am

guys and gals,
i have a 10 week old chessie, she is doing well with her play retrieves and basic sit/stay/come stuff. i was wondering what everyone's opinion is on introducing the gun to her. i waited too long with my pointer pup and it ended up being a royal pain in the ass with him being older, so i don't want to miss the window of opportunity this time. 10 weeks may be too young, maybe not, i've never had to do this before. tell me you honest opinions and experiences please!
thanks
aaron & Tess
aarongreen123
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:32 am

you got a place where you can have some room?? you should start out a good distance away poping off shots wile playing fetch then work your way up closer. read the pup, if she's cool keep moving in. if she's not then back off or end it. I never had a problem with either of my chessies. linking gunfire with the retrieve is the key (i think anyhow) it lets there drive and desire to get the bird over run any initial hesitation they have towards gun fire
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:57 pm

Take your time doing this. If the dog is really fired up about eating, then do it while the dog is eating. If it's really fired up about retrieving, do it then. The main thing is not to have the dog focused on the shot when you fire it.

I would start with a 22 blank pistol or even a toy cap gun too. You don't want to screw this up, because fixing it is no fun. Been there, done that. :thumbsdown:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Huntemup » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:22 pm

Really take your time with this. I have heard different opinions some do it early some say you can wait till the pup is older.

My personal experience was to start off with light loads 209 primers and 22 blanks moved to 410, 12ga poppers then to my bird loads and duck slayers. gsphunter and hunt-chessies both offer sound advise also. Start at a distance and work toward you pup not in one session (several sessions) Start with a 22 and work up to your pup. Each time you move up to a louder stronger load move away and start at the distance you started before. If you notice the pup is uncomfortable at any time stop.

Like gsphunter said dothis while retrieving so pup will associate it with a good think. Remember never shot over the pups head just to see if it will scare or not. Hope this helps!!

I also had to learn the hard way, would love to hear your story gsphunter.
"You can't build a reputation on what your going to do." ( Henry Ford)
Huntemup
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:40 am

gsphunter wrote:Take your time doing this. If the dog is really fired up about eating, then do it while the dog is eating. If it's really fired up about retrieving, do it then. The main thing is not to have the dog focused on the shot when you fire it.

I would start with a 22 blank pistol or even a toy cap gun too. You don't want to screw this up, because fixing it is no fun. Been there, done that. :thumbsdown:

:withstupid:

Even before you get to firing blanks you should bang pots and pans around, and you can start now. Start when the dog is eating. Then do it anytime, then introduce the cap gun at a distance while eating and progress to firing it over the dog when you throw a bumper.

I hope that helps!

-Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:05 am

If you have access to a gun club, it's a great place to introduce pups to the noise of a shotgun and a whole bunch of other things thats part of the enviroment enrichment deal. Just start off way back from the action and slowly move closer . Besides where else could you find so many people willling to shoot shotguns off for your purpose for free.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum