whining dog problem

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

whining dog problem

Postby jedisme » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:36 pm

how do i go about stopping my dog from whining? shes getting really bad about it when we're out hunting. i know shes excited but, its driving me nuts.
jedisme
hunter

Postby lars » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:49 pm

a good smack on the nose- thats all i have found to work. they just have to learn that its unacceptable.

- not saying that im right,
open to suggestions
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby jedisme » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:53 pm

thats usually what she gets...but, within a few minutes whap she gets another one. she just gets too excited.
jedisme
hunter

Postby lars » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:35 pm

mine too, and if i leave the boat i have to tie her, and you would not believe the ruckus
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby jedisme » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:46 pm

same here i don't know what her problem is she just started doing this crap this year.
jedisme
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:05 pm

I don't have any experiance in breaking this problem on an older dog.

Like most things with a dog, they have to be taken care of as a very young pup or else they are ALMOST irreversable.

Dogs pick up bad habits as pups, and sometimes we don't even realize it until it is too late. Most of the time it is due to lazyness on our part.

When ACE was a litlle fella, I would put him in his crate while at home when i couldn't watch him. At first you would of thought he was dying. He whined and made all kinds of racket. It is really hard not to go and check on them when they do this. The first night he stopped after about 30 min. Second night 20 minutes and the 3rd night 5 min. After that nothing. Not even a peep.

If on the first night i would have went and checked on him, he would have gotten exactly what he wanted. My attention. So now he knows that when he whines or barks he gets my attention.

If he ever barked while we were doing something, I would tell him NO.

He hardly even makes a noise now unless the door bell rings.

I guess my point is that i didn't allow a problem to start. But I honestly have no Idea on how to curb the problem now. Most guys like to LIE to themselves and to their hunting buddies and say " Yeah, she just gets so excited, she can't help it".

That same guys says the same thing when his dog breaks or something else.

If the dog is older like around a year. I would probably suggest an E collar. Be ready with your finger on the button and when she whines give her a NIC/ NO!!!. and repeat. After a while, i would drop the NO!!!

Hopefully after a few ( 3-6) sessions of this, you will have the problem licked.

josh

p.s. you don't have to have the E collar set to light her on fire, just a nudge, you will figure out a nice WORKING amount for her. If she continues after the first session and the collar has no effect, dial it up.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby jedisme » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:58 pm

i really haven't been using the shock when hunting needless to say it will be getting a charge tonight. i have got to break her of this its almost impossible to use her when we're jump shooting.
Last edited by jedisme on Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jedisme
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:27 pm

One very good thing while jump shooting is to have your dog on a tight HEEL. My dog ACE heels fairly well, but while walking through marsh jumpshooting, he wants to walk ahead of me. Just last week, i was correcting this with the collar.

He has already had a lot of collar training, so he understands completely what the shock means. I only use it to reinforce a command.

Like HEEL. If he does not HEEL, then I NIC/HEEL. From then on if he gets just a little ahead of me, I NIC again. This time he knows what i want and gets back without the verbal command. It only took a few nics to keep him back at heel the rest of the jump shoot.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:41 pm

I personally think that alot of problems such as whining are a little bit genetic. I have extensive experience with both American Labs and British labs, all with rather impressive records and pedigrees. The British labs are so much quieter and calmer in a duck blind than a typical American Lab, so much so that I am able to conclude that genetics is everything.
Now with all that said, don't any of you guys with American Labs get your noses bent out of Joint, cause there is always an exception to every rule.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Huntemup » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:43 pm

Jedisme,

Right on, good post Ace, Use the collar light nic's until they know it's unexceptable to whine like that. Eventually they will stop. I went / still going through it. Boy, it's true about the stories (there excited!!!!) B/S shoud'nt matter.

A pop under the chine is what i use, if the collar is not on the dog.
"You can't build a reputation on what your going to do." ( Henry Ford)
Huntemup
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum