Pound Dogs vs. Purebreds?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Pound Dogs vs. Purebreds?

Postby ghostingrey » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:29 pm

So here's the question/dilema I have. I'm looking into getting a dog sometime in the next couple of months. I hope to have it trained by next season. The dog will be used primarily for waterfowl with a little bit of upland action. My initial thought was to find a nice pure bred lab with a solid field pedigree and hopefully be able to see the parents to have a sense of the dog's temperment. Keep in mind that this would also be my first attempt at training a hunting dog, although i do have experience with basic dog training. Some people I know say that I am crazy to spend so much money on a purebred dog when i could find a lab puppy at the pound for a lot less money and save a dog's life at the same time. While I appreciate this point of view I still think I would be better off with a pure bred field line dog. So basically I want to know if anyone out there has any successful or unsuccessful experience with traing dogs from the pound to be hunting dog. Let's hear thse stories. Thanks all.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:44 pm

I got my chessie Male from the humane society. He has around 400 ducks under him, and its only about half way through his second season. He is almost three years old now. This dog was absolute hell for the first 6 months of having him. I wanted to take him back SO many times.
Can it be done? obviously... Is it easy? Nope. It just depends on how patient you are and which dog your talking about.

I personally will never get a dog from the pound for hunting again. It was a lot harder trying to make him into what I wanted vs. Just getting one at 7 weeks and molding him into what I wanted. You know the health and background when you get them as a puppy. This is important with all the displastic dogs running around.

All that said, I wouldn't trade my chessie for anything. He is an absolute pleasure to hunt with.

Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby cinrds » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:03 pm

ghost I would go buy a purebreed. I will be getting a hunting dog next spring and it will come from a hunting family of dogs. I started looking this last summer and have seen them from 200.00 to 1500.00 for puppies.
I did look at the Lab rescue and the cost in Tulsa is 200.00 plus for a Lab for that price give me some papers. Also with a pound dog you have no idea what you have or what it should be able to do through the right breeding. Also was the dog abused how will it react to training. How are the hips and eyes. To many unknows with a pound dog that you will want to work. If you want a pet for the kids not a bad way to go. When I buy pup in the spring I will want it for upland, waterfowl, and pet for the kids. I know nothing is for sure but would reather take my changes with what it should do.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:36 pm

I happen to agree with cinrds. Now this is not to say that one cannot go to their local pound and get a dog that does turn out fine, but that is a major roll of the dice. You never know. 98Ramtough is one of the exceptions to the rules. By getting a dog from a proven lineage vastly improves the likelihood that the dog will turn out as a good hunting partner. Always remember the old adage: "you get what you pay for".
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:54 pm

I agree with the guys above. Like I said, I will never get a dog from the pound again and try to make it hunt. It takes a lot more work than just getting a good puppy or started dog.

A friend that worked at the shelter called me and convinced me to take on my challenge, and I got very very lucky.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:45 pm

first off 98 ram tough.......... thats welts property is it not where the pict was taken??? just off the sound?? learned how to hunt ducks up in that part of the country and that was one of our regular spots.

about the dogs i'd say pure breed but the crazy blood lines that cost you $800 + a pup isn't really needed for just a hunting dog. If you do go with a pound dog id say either a hunting dog rescue ( all major breeds has a national org with regonal offices) or find one from someone on here or another hunting site thats got a dog that needs a new home. atleast that way you know a little about what your getting yourself into!! good luck to you
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby h2oknine » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:26 pm

I would go with purebred and look at the pedigree and see of the parents hunt then you know what your getting. You can't do that who knows what you will get with a pound pound dog price should n't be a factor a good blood line will run you anywhere from $500 to $1500 dollars. Just look around ask alot of questions.

When I look for a dog the color is the last of my worries even though I do have my favorite color it isn't the the deciding factor. I want to whats between their ears (pedigree/Hunting backround) then health guarantee (hips, eyes and so on)then if I want a male or female.
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Postby decoydog » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:12 am

I personally have never had a pound dog, but I do have frinds that have and I would have to say that most of them have been satisfied with the results they have had with their dog after intense training. But then again, in thinking about it, I could say the same thing for the the friends I know that have purebreeds also. The only reason I would take a purebreed over a pound dog is that I know who the parents are, I know the basic temperment of the animal and since you almost always get a purebreed as a pup, you know that the dog was not broken in the mind or body i.e. beaten or starved. It just would seem to me that you take a bigger risk with a pound dog in that aspect, unless you were able to pick up the dog (as a puppy) by luck with some of it's litter mates still attached (by his side).
It's hard to pull 1 inch through 6 inches of material while doing "the dance", and looking skyward.
decoydog
hunter

Postby ghostingrey » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:53 am

Thanks everybody for the input. Like i said, I am definitely leaning towards a purebred but i guess it's good to know it is possible to train a pound/rescue dog. It does sound like pound dogs require a lot more work than purebreds in terms of training however. I'm still kida up in the air.
ghostingrey
State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:30 pm

I would think if you got a pound puppy you would be fine, just don't go for a pound older dog I suppose. I missed out on a lab at our local pound a week ago. She was 8 weeks. I went to make sure the wife waas good with it, when I went back on Monday morning the pup was gone, I was pissed. Oh well, you snooze you lose.

There were some older dogs in there that I considered briefly but when I read things like "Gun Shy" and "Not good with our dogs" well it is just not something I want. Gun shy would suck for hunting and not being good with other dogs would be bad for the mini-daschund.
Penguine
hunter

Postby mfetter » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:22 pm

GEtting a popund dog is like playing the lottery--ESPECIALLY with a lab--There is a good chance that you are not going to win. A Lot of labs are bred back back yard breaders who have bred out the desire to hunt--Most any dog can be force fetched to go get whatever you want--A dog that hunts is an entirely different thing.

Spend the extra moeny and time and get a dog that you know will perform.
If you cant find the duck you hit find someone with a DD.
mfetter
hunter

Postby texan68 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:34 pm

98ramtough wrote:I got my chessie Male from the humane society. He has around 400 ducks under him, and its only about half way through his second season. He is almost three years old now. This dog was absolute hell for the first 6 months of having him. I wanted to take him back SO many times.
Can it be done? obviously... Is it easy? Nope. It just depends on how patient you are and which dog your talking about.

I personally will never get a dog from the pound for hunting again. It was a lot harder trying to make him into what I wanted vs. Just getting one at 7 weeks and molding him into what I wanted. You know the health and background when you get them as a puppy. This is important with all the displastic dogs running around.

All that said, I wouldn't trade my chessie for anything. He is an absolute pleasure to hunt with.

pretty much the same story with my lab.......

texan68
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:51 pm

My time and effort (and peace of mind) is worth more to me than the few hundred bucks it'd save to get a pound puppy.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum