help with my golden

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

help with my golden

Postby Bigchuck » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:26 pm

I have a golden retiver named copper, he is about 5 years old and he was a good upland dog, when my cousin owned him, well my cousin's girlfriend screwed him up pretty good by hitting him and her son did some unmetionable things to him. he is my buddy, now that i got into duck hunting I was thinking of taking him out of retirement, with that said since I rescued him he will not retrive a tennis ball more than 3 times in a row. I brought home a black duck to him to see how he would react to it and he would sniff at it if I held it but when placed in front of him he would bow his head tuck his haunches and walk away, but return when I held it.

I rember when he was a pup that my cousin hit him with a dead grouse because he was mouthing it, did that ruin him as a hunting dog for life?

If I cant get him to hunt thats ok but I would like to build up his confedence again. any suggestions would be greatly apricated. :help:
ONE shell ONE Duck!!!
Bigchuck
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:02 am

Start all over with him. Like a puppy. Wait till he's good and hungry, and use treats as a motivator. Once he gets the sock-roll retrieves down good (more than 3 times) work up to a dummy, then start scenting the dummy, then tape clipped wings to the dummy, then use real birds. His confidence will be soaring somewhere in the middle of that process.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Bigchuck » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:36 pm

good start but he is never really hungry see he is with 3 kids whom always feed him Ill have to have them stop :withstupid:
ONE shell ONE Duck!!!
Bigchuck
hunter

Postby mfetter » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:42 pm

From what you have said I am not sure that the dog will ever be able to be used. I would do exactly what he said and start like he is a puppy--I would even get a live duck shackel it and tape its beak--Then put it out there for the dog to do WHATEVER it wants with it--play with it kill it eat it whatever--the whole time you give TONS of praise--You will begin to build the dogs drive, desire and confidence. This is nothing that will happen overnight, and I would only do this training a couple of times a week MAX. Then when the dog has built up his confidence go from there.

Its always worth a try, but.....
If you cant find the duck you hit find someone with a DD.
mfetter
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:46 pm

Wow Chuck, tough one. Some may disagree but at 5 years old he would be more of a pet/companion than a working dog for me. With the amount of effort it is going to take you two to unlearn everything I think the time would be better spent on a new pup. Not to say that it can't be done but this dog has been through some serious trama that will take a heck of a trainer to figure out.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Bigchuck » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:20 pm

dont sound good boys I wonder if I do get a new pup( Ihave to get a house to do that) will the new pup learn from him also?
ONE shell ONE Duck!!!
Bigchuck
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:03 pm

Bigchuck wrote:dont sound good boys I wonder if I do get a new pup( Ihave to get a house to do that) will the new pup learn from him also?

No, he will learn from you. A new pup could pick up bad habits from any dog if left to free play all the time unsupervised. If you control the learning environment you will get results as good as the effort you put into it. Plenty of help in here, big chuck. Don't hesitate to ask.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum