new puppy?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

new puppy?

Postby kyduck » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:36 pm

In reguards to getting a new 7-9 week old lab puppy, what are some good characteristics to look for? Are there any things to look out for or make sure to get in a new puppy?
Thanks.
kyduck
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:19 pm

ABSOLUTLY!!!!

#1 sire and dam have good health certs. Hips and eyes.

#2 look at the parents for the kind of dog you want and want to train.

if you want a champion or a dog that can handle and perform like a champion, then that is where you need to start looking.

Most pups are only going to do as much as the pedigre will allow. This is not always the case, but it is definately hard to take a pair of backyard dogs and turn them into a great dog.

But you can take a great dog from a great pedigree and screw it up. lol.

I'm sure some of the other guys will have some more info on picking the pup you want. I feel like you pic the litter you want and the pup will be good.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Rooster » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:20 am

Well stated ACEBLDRS! As a dog guy I could not have said it any better myself. :withstupid:
Conserve game hunt with a trained retriever!
Rooster
hunter

Postby kyduck » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:49 pm

So the pedigree of the dog, not the physical appearance, is how to select a good hunting dog? Thanks for the reply.
kyduck
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:26 pm

kyduck wrote:So the pedigree of the dog, not the physical appearance, is how to select a good hunting dog? Thanks for the reply.

You will find the "physical appearance" IN the pedigree.

When looking at a litter, you aren't just looking for Champions and Master Hunters. You are looking for a good solid background with good solid Health certs.

For instance if looking for chacolate, you wouldn't want to see that every previous Sire and Dam in your pups background was a Chacolate also. Chacolates need be breed back to a black at least every other breeding because of there less dominant genes.

When looking at the pedigree, you are also looking at the parents physical appearance, and if possible the previouse sires and dams.

Physical appearance is in the eye of the beholder also. Even though AKC has only one view of what a Labrador Retriever or a Chesapeke looks like, each one of us have our own ideas of what we want in a dog. First off there is male or female. I personally liked a little bigger male dog, while someone else would prefer a small female that weighs around 50 lbs.

Energy level is something else to consider. If you are a first time trainer and don't have all the time in the world to train your dog or the patients. Then i wouldn't suggest that you go out and get a pup sired by Down Town Dusty Brown. Maybe your looking for a little less strung of a dog. This doesn't make the dog a bad dog, it just means that he isn't going to run like hell on a 500 yrd blind retrieve.

Sorry for the long windedness. I get this way sometimes.

I better go kill something this weekend and stay off the puter.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Return to Hunting Dog Forum