Labradoodle Duck Hunting Dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Labradoodle Duck Hunting Dog

Postby blacklabs165 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:52 pm

Could someone train a Labradoodle to be an efficient duck hunting dog, or are they to stupid?
blacklabs165
Newb

Re: Labradoodle Duck Hunting Dog

Postby luvnlabs » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:23 pm

?? Not sure, I would be curious to know that too...I would think if the poodle was from hunting lines as well as the lab there is potential there???
May your lines be true....Your whistles few...Fetch& hold Baby!!! (T.Calhoun)
luvnlabs
hunter

Postby lumpy2181 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:04 pm

I have heard of some hunting before. Poodles and Labradors are both very smart and bred for retrieving game from the water. Chances are that if the blood lines have hunters in them, should be possible.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:48 pm

It has been done... The problem with any mutt is that you don't know what genes you are getting. You may get the hypoallergenic gene and the retrieving gene, one, the other, or neither... Poodles were originally water retrievers, but that was so long ago the odds are not in you favor.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 pm

ive seen one used and it was a machine
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:56 pm

Never seen a labrodoodle but i know there is a guy in my area that breeds and trains large poodles for waterfowl. A few guys i know have hunted with him and said that the dogs are amazing.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:01 am

There is a guy from another forum that has been documenting his training of his wife's Labradoodle. He posted up some pictures from this weekends hunt and at 10 months old this pup was retrieving geese and ducks. I don't think I can link to another forum here though.
agengo02
hunter

Postby blacklabs165 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks for the comments. I have a labradoodle and this dog loves nothing more than to swim and I figured that it would be a good sport for him. One of the biggest problems is that he is 3 years old and like you guys were saying I dont know of his parents hunting background.
blacklabs165
Newb

Postby Joepowe8 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:31 am

My mom has a golden doodle...smart as a whip. I'm def going to train one of her pups in a few months.

btw agengo, could you pm me the link to that write up?
A drunk man's words are a sober mans thoughts.
Joepowe8
hunter

Postby duckslayer22175 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:30 pm

i also have one and i plan to hunt him next year
duckslayer22175
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:59 pm

I keep insisting we get a black lab to train to retrieve. My wife desperately wants a labradoodle, insisting that I can train it to do the same. I keep dreaming of a English bred lab though.

Will her idea work? :help:
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:17 pm

get a good lab crossed with a working bred poodle.
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby gatorhunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Anything with "oodle" in its name is just wrong! To breed it with a lab is an insult to labs!
gatorhunter
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:22 pm

What a site at the launch ramp on saturday morning, all the hunters with their thick neck labs and ruff looking Chessies, and then you with your labradoodle prancing all around...... :yes:
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Yeah if this happens I expect to get made fun of pretty hard.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby NewDuckHunter83 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:32 pm

Hahaha :lol3: This conversation just got funny! I can only imagine all the sh%! i would receive if i would have got a poodle instead of a lab for hunting! Your gonna have to be pretty thick skinned, :lol:
NewDuckHunter83
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:15 am

WTN10 wrote:I keep insisting we get a black lab to train to retrieve. My wife desperately wants a labradoodle, insisting that I can train it to do the same. I keep dreaming of a English bred lab though.

Tell the wife is she can find a litter of Labradoodles where the sire and dam are from hunting lines with performance titles (proof they can both WORK) in the field...you'll consider it.

If she can't - you have to go Black lab (which does have these things) so that the pup you raise and dog you train will have the genetic make-up to be a fine gun dog and household pet.

If she can find a working doodle line bred to hunt/work/perform...she deserves one. Hearsay doesn't count - need validation.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby buckmeister » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:19 am

I just googled up some pictures of labradoodles, are you going to cut those little fur shaped balls around their legs? :yes:

I can see it at the boat ramp now "Sure is a mighty perty dog ya have thar boy" (banjo music starts playing at this point). I would have to get many, many concessions from my wife before facing the public humiliation. Only visiting the inlaws every third year,never having to go to a ballet or opera for my entire life,poker night with the buddies etc. Good luck.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:31 am

Guy I know was FF'ing one last year for somebody. Danged thing had a light purple coat. :fingerhead:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:48 am

HNTFSH wrote:
WTN10 wrote:I keep insisting we get a black lab to train to retrieve. My wife desperately wants a labradoodle, insisting that I can train it to do the same. I keep dreaming of a English bred lab though.

Tell the wife is she can find a litter of Labradoodles where the sire and dam are from hunting lines with performance titles (proof they can both WORK) in the field...you'll consider it.

If she can't - you have to go Black lab (which does have these things) so that the pup you raise and dog you train will have the genetic make-up to be a fine gun dog and household pet.

If she can find a working doodle line bred to hunt/work/perform...she deserves one. Hearsay doesn't count - need validation.

buy a curly coat retriever and tell her it's a rare black labradoodle!!! :lol3: :thumbsup: problem solved! :yes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:10 am

Indaswamp wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

buy a curly coat retriever and tell her it's a rare black labradoodle!!! :lol3: :thumbsup: problem solved! :yes:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :clapping: :clapping: Genius!!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:41 am

Indaswamp wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:

HNTFSH wrote: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :clapping: :clapping: Genius!!

I try... :hi:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby agengo02 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:53 pm

Or get the labradoodle, train him up real well (both are working class dogs so it shouldn't be too much of a PITA) and make sure and show everybody pics of your dog making bad@$$ retrieves! I catch a lot of slack for having a mixed breed, but they can do the job too. Remember the old saying, happy wife = more duck hunting!
agengo02
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:19 pm

It depends on the seed they are mixed from. Genetics is genetics.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby boykinhntr » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:17 am

Doodles are getting really popular around AR. There are a decent amount of them that hunt.
boykinhntr
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum