Labradoodle Duck Hunting Dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: Labradoodle Duck Hunting Dog

Postby ohio mike » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:53 am

buckmeister wrote:What a site at the launch ramp on saturday morning, all the hunters with their thick neck labs and ruff looking Chessies, and then you with your labradoodle prancing all around...... :yes:

I'm pretty sure you can get camo bows to match a camo vest. :thumbsup:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:55 am

ohio mike wrote:
buckmeister wrote:What a site at the launch ramp on saturday morning, all the hunters with their thick neck labs and ruff looking Chessies, and then you with your labradoodle prancing all around...... :yes:

I'm pretty sure you can get camo bows to match a camo vest. :thumbsup:

:lol3: :hammer: they make purple bow too I"m sure... :fingerhead:
to me- getting a labradoodle to duck hunt would be like an NBA team signing a 5'6" guy as the center on the team. can he dribble? yes. can he jump? yes. is he the best player for that position? NO!!!! :no:

Stick with a hunting breed from hunting stock and you'll have a better gundog.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Henry » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:15 am

Look into pudelpointers, appear to be good gun dogs, very restricted breeding program.
Henry
Newb

Postby charlie beard » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:06 am

Don't forget you will have to buy a ruby and diamond studed collar. :biggrin:
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby DFrank219 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:25 am

I have been hunting my 5yr Labradoodle for 2 1/2yrs now and she is amazing! Not from hunting lines or anything fancy! I am completely allergic to all dogs well really any 4 legged animal with fur! I was tired of being the guy that always goes hunting but never has a dog so i went around to different breeders of dogs that are supposedly non-allergenic and came across a labradoodle breeder and it was great with the exception of the price!! $1200 for a mutt I about crapped my pants!! So I looked and looked and finally found a family who made the purchase and didn't want her anymore because she was too hyper! She was 1 when I got her! About 8 months of 4 a week training and now she loves duck, goose, and pheasant will not touch any other birds. It was pretty intimidating the first time I took her hunting with my uncle who has been breeding and training world class English Labs for over 20 years and hunting for over 40! You should have seen his face! He hasn't converted but she can ride in the back seat with the labs now! Oh let me give you the specs for Bella (Came with the name) she is 39lbs and stands about 22-24 ins tall at the shoulder and is a cream white! And really narrow through the chest and shoulders! But never the less a very hard worker! I split the bands I get with Bella and to date she has 12 bands on her leash! I understand the stigma and no I don't drink tea with her but if the only thing holding someone back is whether or not a labradoodle with hunt or is trainable well then as far as i am concerned enjoy your new labradoodle! Just remember to look at the faces of you hunting buddies what you first let him/her go for a duck or goose! And bring a camera with you!
DFrank219
Newb

Postby cn44 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:33 am

DFrank219 wrote:I have been hunting my 5yr Labradoodle for 2 1/2yrs now and she is amazing!....... I split the bands I get with Bella and to date she has 12 bands on her leash!

You've shot 24 bands in 2 1/2yrs?! Do you shoot them fresh out the nets when the biologists get done?
cn44
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 am

cn44 wrote:
DFrank219 wrote:I have been hunting my 5yr Labradoodle for 2 1/2yrs now and she is amazing!....... I split the bands I get with Bella and to date she has 12 bands on her leash!

You've shot 24 bands in 2 1/2yrs?! Do you shoot them fresh out the nets when the biologists get done?

Tennis racket and a bread bag...just like Foiles...=)
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:09 am

DFrank219 wrote:I have been hunting my 5yr Labradoodle for 2 1/2yrs now and she is amazing! Not from hunting lines or anything fancy! I am completely allergic to all dogs well really any 4 legged animal with fur! I was tired of being the guy that always goes hunting but never has a dog so i went around to different breeders of dogs that are supposedly non-allergenic and came across a labradoodle breeder and it was great with the exception of the price!! $1200 for a mutt I about crapped my pants!! So I looked and looked and finally found a family who made the purchase and didn't want her anymore because she was too hyper! She was 1 when I got her! About 8 months of 4 a week training and now she loves duck, goose, and pheasant will not touch any other birds. It was pretty intimidating the first time I took her hunting with my uncle who has been breeding and training world class English Labs for over 20 years and hunting for over 40! You should have seen his face! He hasn't converted but she can ride in the back seat with the labs now! Oh let me give you the specs for Bella (Came with the name) she is 39lbs and stands about 22-24 ins tall at the shoulder and is a cream white! And really narrow through the chest and shoulders! But never the less a very hard worker! I split the bands I get with Bella and to date she has 12 bands on her leash! I understand the stigma and no I don't drink tea with her but if the only thing holding someone back is whether or not a labradoodle with hunt or is trainable well then as far as i am concerned enjoy your new labradoodle! Just remember to look at the faces of you hunting buddies what you first let him/her go for a duck or goose! And bring a camera with you!

If it was me, I would put a pink ribbon in her hair, and send her "git it".........but I am just like that. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:27 pm

I know of a few that are hunted in my area and do the job well. If you want a real challenge, teach a pack of Chihuahua's to fetch geese. After that a doodle will be light work.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby berudd » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Most of the negative comments I see on boards like this is about breeder of these dogs that make all this claims of that this cross will produce. The trouble is there are no guarantees even in pure bred dogs much less with crosses. I MIGHT be a great hunter and it MIGHT be shed free. Or it could be a shedding, dolt of a couch potato. It would seem reasonable that this cross would produce a decent dog with decent smarts and a willingness to retrieve you just wont know until you know. At least with a pure bred you can review a pedigree to see if there is potential in the genes. I'd say if you have one go for it, it certainly can't hurt to try. I am sure there a lot of guys hunting these dogs with great success. I'd be more cautious, however, if make a purchase with the intent of it being a hunting dog.
berudd
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:52 pm

I know 2 doodles one labradoodle and one goldendoodle. They are both lovely pets but lack anything making them capable hunting dogs. The labradoodle won't retrieve and the goldendoodle is terrified of all dead things. Its actually kinda funny to watch the goldendoodle play with beatles or fly's until she kills it, then she'll hide and not go near the spot it was for hours. Its really too bad as she loves to retrieve and swim but nothing will get her to go anywhere near anything dead.
My point is with it being such a gamble and the premium doodles command I can't see why you would buy one as a hunting dog.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby iamlegend » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:54 pm

I have a 9 month old goldendoodle that I have been working with and is a natural. She has a lot of drive and loves the water. She has retrieved several dove and some pheasants this year. Got her for free bc the breeder could not sell her due to her straight coat. People were paying 850 a pup lol 3 out of 13 were straight haired.
Attachments
penny5.jpg
iamlegend
hunter

Postby berudd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:57 am

Blackduck and Iamlegend just described what you get with crosses. A crap shoot. One is a capable hunter the other is not. You can get a pure bred with no ability but it less off a possibility.
berudd
hunter

Postby iamlegend » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:28 am

I definitely got lucky but I would be damned if I wasn't going to try my hardest to bring it out of her.
Attachments
Penny2.jpg
iamlegend
hunter

Postby loon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:37 am

Years ago I had a springer that I was training at Robles kennels in Greenleaf WI The owner and lead trainer had a standard poodle with the full foofy French hair cut that thing was a bird flushing and retrieving machine! Standard poodles when not given that haircut actually look pretty cool. I agree with the other posters though you are definitely taking a chance at getting a mediocre dog when they are bred for cuteness not hunting retrieving ability. But what a great marketing angle for dog breeders a cute fashionable labradoodle that doesn't shed but can make hundred yard blind retrieves :thumbsup:
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm always reminded that everyone's impression of a great dog, natural, machine or firebreather is something different.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby dduckman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:50 am

The standard poodle's initial purpose was to retrieve waterfowl, and if I remember correctly they are higher up the scale of intelligence than a lab! Pretty sure the Poodle is only second to a border Collie!
dduckman
hunter

Postby Labs » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 pm

dduckman wrote:The standard poodle's initial purpose was to retrieve waterfowl, and if I remember correctly they are higher up the scale of intelligence than a lab! Pretty sure the Poodle is only second to a border Collie!

That may be...but, why then have they been abandoned for waterfowl? There are only a select few poodles running hunt tests, and even fewer that are successful at it...maybe the poodle doesn't want to concern itself with trivial pursuits, or it could be the fact that the ones that I have seen, just don't want get their hair wet...

Most of the curly looking lab/goldendoodles I have seen are butt ugly...if your going to do that, do yourself a favor and get a wirehair or a draht...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:26 pm

I always chuckle when someone drags out what dogs were bred for 200/300 years ago but fail to think about what they haven't been bred for since.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby dogyak » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Labs wrote:
dduckman wrote:The standard poodle's initial purpose was to retrieve waterfowl, and if I remember correctly they are higher up the scale of intelligence than a lab! Pretty sure the Poodle is only second to a border Collie!

That may be...but, why then have they been abandoned for waterfowl? There are only a select few poodles running hunt tests, and even fewer that are successful at it...maybe the poodle doesn't want to concern itself with trivial pursuits, or it could be the fact that the ones that I have seen, just don't want get their hair wet...

Most of the curly looking lab/goldendoodles I have seen are butt ugly...if your going to do that, do yourself a favor and get a wirehair or a draht...

Labs , that was a classic statement . HAha
dogyak
hunter

Postby Lml mi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:38 pm

Molly is our first doodle 4 months good as any of my high dollar labs
Molly straight hair chocolate looks like a lab
Lml mi
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:07 pm

Lml mi wrote:Molly is our first doodle 4 months good as any of my high dollar labs
Molly straight hair chocolate looks like a lab

lol...4 months eh? Let's see some of those high dollar Lab pedigrees, Post 'em!!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:11 pm

My buddy hunts with a Dachador guess thats how you would spell it. Dachshund-Labrador mix.
She looks like a long, 5 inch tall Lab. She has the heart of a hunter and really does quite well.
Will tow a live scrappy goose to shore and hold it there untill he gets there. is a pheasant hunting
fool to. Plus he just loves the looks and comments he gets from people. Perfect retriever? No
His perfect buddy? without a doubt. Just shows you never know with a mix.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby iamlegend » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote: Perfect retriever? No
His perfect buddy? without a doubt.

Spry

EXACTLY, regardless of the breed you choose. My mutt is good enough for me!
Attachments
PENNY1.jpg
iamlegend
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:My buddy hunts with a Dachador guess thats how you would spell it. Dachshund-Labrador mix.
She looks like a long, 5 inch tall Lab. She has the heart of a hunter and really does quite well.
Will tow a live scrappy goose to shore and hold it there untill he gets there. is a pheasant hunting
fool to. Plus he just loves the looks and comments he gets from people. Perfect retriever? No
His perfect buddy? without a doubt. Just shows you never know with a mix.

Spry

Dachshunds were originally bred for hunting...to crawl down a badger hole and pull the badger out.

History:

The Dachshund was developed in Germany over a period of several hundred years for the primary purpose of hunting badgers. The dogs were specifically bred for the strength and tenacity to handle a badger and the body style to "go to ground" (burrow down a badger hole) after his prey. The Dachshund originally weighed in at 30-40 pounds in order to expeditiously handle a badger, but they were also used to hunt small surface animals, trail wounded deer and hunt wild boar.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum