Labradoodle Duck Hunting Dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Labradoodle Duck Hunting Dog

Postby copterdoc » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:57 am

But today, a badger would kill a modern Dachshund so fast that it would even impress Chuck Norris.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:52 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:My buddy hunts with a Dachador guess thats how you would spell it. Dachshund-Labrador mix.

Oh geez ..... I so hope this was an "oops" litter and not planned ..... :no:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Lml mi » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:19 am

By high dollar I mean 300/600 sum with paper sum without.
Blue collar duckhunter .
Lml mi
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:38 am

Dakota Creek wrote:Oh geez ..... I so hope this was an "oops" litter and not planned

It was a very planned expensive pup. Can't you imagine a Dachshund male trying to get a lab female without a booster seat? :lol:
When she swam out to this swan she looked back as if to say WTH!
Star Brights Swan.jpg
Star Brights Swan.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 707 times

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 am

Lml mi wrote:By high dollar I mean 300/600 sum with paper sum without.
Blue collar duckhunter .

Thanks. That makes sense. Many consider a 'high dollar' dog to start at 900 and go through 2K. I do.

I also know several pretty poor guys that own them. A few I wouldn't want to walk in the abode frankly but nonetheless they are dog men and darn good ones.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:53 pm

copterdoc wrote:But today, a badger would kill a modern Dachshund so fast that it would even impress Chuck Norris.

True dat Copterdoc... the dachshunds of old were mean little dogs....and 30~40lbs, not the mini's of today.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:31 am

http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/

Look at the hunt test tabs. I would hunt with a poodle out of these blood lines, pretty impressive for a dog that as some have said are "no longer breed to hunt".
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:50 am

BlkonBlkRS3 wrote:http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/

Look at the hunt test tabs. I would hunt with a poodle out of these blood lines, pretty impressive for a dog that as some have said are "no longer breed to hunt".

Not sure anyone said they were no longer bred to hunt...just that most people in America have gotten away from the Standard poodle in favor of other dog breeds that handle this task better. I would imagine that most commerical fisherman no longer use labradors to swim out and get their nets.

On the link that you shared: I don't want to disparage anyone that runs their dogs in hunt tests. I'm glad this guy is in the game and is trying to do something to improve the breed. Look them up on entry express and look at the pass rates...that's all I'm gonna say on the subject...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby dogyak » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:20 pm

Labs wrote:

Not sure anyone said they were no longer bred to hunt...just that most people in America have gotten away from the Standard poodle in favor of other dog breeds that handle this task better. I would imagine that most commerical fisherman no longer use labradors to swim out and get their nets.

On the link that you shared: I don't want to disparage anyone that runs their dogs in hunt tests. I'm glad this guy is in the game and is trying to do something to improve the breed. Look them up on entry express and look at the pass rates...that's all I'm gonna say on the subject...

Labs , you are spot on ! :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Labs wrote:

I did look at the pass/fail rate and I looked at one other thing too, the handler. Each run I looked at Rich was listed as the handler, maybe it's not the dogs fault. If any dog is poorly trained it will perform poorly.
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:46 pm

I don't know what kind of handler Rich is or his training program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Labs
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 pm

BlkonBlkRS3 wrote:
Labs wrote:

I did look at the pass/fail rate and I looked at one other thing too, the handler. Each run I looked at Rich was listed as the handler, maybe it's not the dogs fault. If any dog is poorly trained it will perform poorly.

You talking about this Poodle Master hunter?

82 hunts tests? What's that about $6,200 in entry fees?

HNTFSH wrote:
I've been to the site well before you posted it. You didn't read what I wrote. The dog Copper failed it's last 7 master tests, failed 16 overall and passed 5 (enough to get that title). Not much different in the other stakes. The dog is 7 years old.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Labradoodle Duck Hunting Dog

Postby Labs » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:36 pm

Yep...the rest of the dogs he has had a tough time too...I would expect a better pass fail rate than 4 for 20 in JH...not sure which dog it was, tho. I give him credit for staying with it. I bet a MH poodle would have to garner top dollar as a stud or dam with that kind of money tied up in tests...

Labs
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:04 am

Labs wrote:Yep...the rest of the dogs he has had a tough time too...I would expect a better pass fail rate than 4 for 20 in JH...not sure which dog it was, tho. I give him credit for staying with it. I bet a MH poodle would have to garner top dollar as a stud or dam with that kind of money tied up in tests...

I'm sure it brings a quite stud fee and website story for the less informed just not much of a hunting dog litter.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Lml mi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Molly my labradoodle 4 months old first dead duck retrieved 10 out 10. Good dog brings back and puts in my hand.
Lml mi
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 am

Lml mi wrote:Molly my labradoodle 4 months old first dead duck retrieved 10 out 10. Good dog brings back and puts in my hand.

Well, I suppose some would say that you lucked out and the lab came out in your cross. I would imagine that you are the exception, not the rule.
Labs
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:32 am

Let me see..............and now there's also a thread running on the decline of the labradoor............these two kind of go hand in hand don't they. I'm sure one of you fellas must hunt with a bichadoodle or a schitzadoodle.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:23 am

What about the all famous Schnauzerdoodle? There has to be someone on here with on of those...:wink:
Labs
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:35 am

HNTFSH wrote:You talking about this Poodle Master hunter?

82 hunts tests? What's that about $6,200 in entry fees?

HNTFSH wrote:
I've been to the site well before you posted it. You didn't read what I wrote. The dog Copper failed it's last 7 master tests, failed 16 overall and passed 5 (enough to get that title). Not much different in the other stakes. The dog is 7 years old.

Labs wrote:Yep...the rest of the dogs he has had a tough time too...I would expect a better pass fail rate than 4 for 20 in JH...not sure which dog it was, tho. I give him credit for staying with it. I bet a MH poodle would have to garner top dollar as a stud or dam with that kind of money tied up in tests...

The tape never lies!! I wish pass/fail was easier to find/more front and center!!! Ive been in gallery several times and heard "normal people" talking about certain dog... Or how many points the dog has on flyer.. Couple times ive said you should look dog up and see its pass fail rate!!! A MH that goes 6/10 or a finished that goes 4/7 is far better than one that goes 6/20 or 4/18!! All titles arent reached equal..
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Willie is right . Also it depends who is hosting the test . Example - There is a club that most of the club is not hunters and mainly show people who got in too title their dog so they could market their claims as champion dogs . The finished judges they get set up easy test . Seen it and even seen dogs that should not get a pass get it . Then those same people go to a place where the season test are harder and their dogs do poorly . It happens . But the fact here is , a mutt is a mutt and if some people want too spend large amounts of money for one who want too be different , so be it . If you get one that works out too do gundog work , count yourself lucky also with no health problems . But most of the time , it turns out bad with the mix breed with genetics . So can we put this as a sticky so we don't have to go over this same subject every six months . :no:
dogyak
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:39 pm

dogyak wrote: So can we put this as a sticky so we don't have to go over this same subject every six months . :no:

:lol: And we come full circle....Love it! And I think you are being generous with "every six months"... :yes:
Labs
hunter

Postby uglymug » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:47 pm

I think the moderators secretly enjoy these threads and all of the flaming that happens as a result. :wink:
uglymug
hunter

Postby Lml mi » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Update on Molly 18 wks old now retrieves everything. Knows sit,leave it,take it,down,off. Still working on stay and come more consistently. :grooving: not gun shy. No water training
Lml mi
hunter

Postby Lml mi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:06 pm

MOLLY UPDATE 23 WK S OK SHE IS NOLONGER COMING WHEN CALLED ANY HELP :crying: .
USEING NOSE TO FIND DUMMIES HID UNDER MARSH GRASS GOOD DOG :clapping:
Lml mi
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:15 pm

They change fast don't they?

Lml mi wrote:Molly my labradoodle 4 months old first dead duck retrieved 10 out 10. Good dog brings back and puts in my hand.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum