Early breaking Lab

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Early breaking Lab

Postby rlp1970 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:55 pm

Hey Guys!

I have a 4 year old lab that does an excellent job on retreiving ducks. This is his 2nd hunting season, the problem I am having is he is so PUMPED like a MAD MAN!!!When we shoot that he breaks before I tell him to go. I have about a 2 foot leash on him hooked inside our boat. When a duck is down he hollers and barks, I have a E-Collar on him as well. Is there any advice you can give me to break. I have even used the collar and he is still breaking!!
rlp1970
hunter

breaking

Postby buckeyegundogs » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:09 pm

Have your dog heal beside you at your training grounds and have another person shoot some rounds at maybe some training pigeons while you have control of your dog. Only let him retrieve about 50 % of the fliers, this teaches him that he will not get a bird on every shot. Also work on sending him on retrieves by using his name, not fetch it up or dead bird. This theory will get your dogs attention, and will let him or her know that it is ok to retrieve now. I spend several minutes a week teaching obedience and my dogs are well behaved, but i trained my dog with a whistle, one short blast and he will sit, several long blast and he will return and heal. Patience is the key, but sometimes you will have to get stern with your dog.

Good luck
Brad
Ohio
buckeyegundogs
hunter

Postby Joel » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:44 pm

yes i to pic up about 50% of all throws allso teaches him to honer just take your time dont rush (( i wouldnt use an e-callor for this )) mybe a healing stick
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum