Any thoughts on hunting with the Weimaraner's ?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Any thoughts on hunting with the Weimaraner's ?

Postby MossyOakClub » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:25 am

I always have had Lab's, currently have a darn good black lab, I finally got my wife into upland game hunting, she's interested in a weimaraner for a gun dog, any-1 have any experience on these dogs?
RETRIEVING IS A PRETTY SIGHT & DESIRABLE, BUT IF YOU HAVE NO SUCCESS, REMEMBER THAT IT IS A RARE SIGHT TO SEE A MAN POINT AT A BIRD. HOWEVER, MANY MEN HAVE A BACK STRONG ENOUGH TO LEAN DOWN AND PICK UP A BIRD THAT A DOG HAS LOCATED AND POINTED DEAD.
MossyOakClub
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:08 am

I have seen some great one's, but I have also seen and had one really bad one.

The key to Weim's is finding a good breeder as is the truth with any dog, but there are several Weim breeders out there that just breed for show or even worse, they breed for the $$$.

When I had a Weim, no one knew what they were, and instantly they thought that they were the most beautiful dogs in the world. This produces a high demand for low grade dogs.

Weims are also known to be softer and slower to mature than some of the other versatile German breeds, of course this is speaking generically though. When I was looking into my current dog, I chose a shorthair instead of another Weim, for a few reasons. A well bred shorthair is much easier to find, generically speaking, they tend to be bolder and mature faster, and they are usually cheaper than a well bred Weim. There are definitely some great Weims out there though, you will just have to look a little harder and maybe pay a little more. Another plus, is that you live in GA. The winter temps are fairly mild, so cold weather shouldn't shut the dog down for duck season.

Since you are a duck hunter and also getting into upland, I would suggest a NAVHDA bred puppy. Look for a dog that has been tested in this system, and done well. These dogs are put through some good tests to ensure their abilities in both the field and water. Puppies out of an accomplished NAVHDA dog will ensure a good genetic base, which will make for a much better pup.

http://navhda.org/ That is there website. If you contact the International office, they could probably get you a list of kennel names by breed.

Good luck with your search, and if you have anymore questions, let me know.
gsphunter
hunter

thx brian

Postby MossyOakClub » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:16 am

I know it will take some time n finding a good breeder, just like any gun dog, you get what you pay for, do the homework or pay dearly..
thx again for the info and we'll see what we come up with.
RETRIEVING IS A PRETTY SIGHT & DESIRABLE, BUT IF YOU HAVE NO SUCCESS, REMEMBER THAT IT IS A RARE SIGHT TO SEE A MAN POINT AT A BIRD. HOWEVER, MANY MEN HAVE A BACK STRONG ENOUGH TO LEAN DOWN AND PICK UP A BIRD THAT A DOG HAS LOCATED AND POINTED DEAD.
MossyOakClub
hunter

Postby panthersfan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:47 pm

my father in law has one that he got for a duck dog but turned in to a house dog. Gets cold fast. The dog gets out in the field and freezes. Smart dog one of the smartest but in cold weather not worth a darn stick to the labs just my 2 cents..... :thumbsup:
Jonathan
panthersfan
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:00 pm

my freind did a crap load of research on them, spent the bucks and got a supposedly good one, hahhaha, he's been tryin to train it, had a female too, bred them once, we took it hunting once by it'self this year and he almost shot it, it stayed about 30 yrds behind us walking the whole time, wouldnt hunt, i've also been to allot of feild trials around here, and they had a weim one that i went too, and basicly all the weims did way easyer test than the rest of the dogs, instead of the planted birds bein anywhere in a 60 acre chunck, they were in a bout a half acre chunk with flags around it, my oppinion is that this breed has almost been ruined, and i would deffienatly not suggest getting one
phillipstd
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:51 pm

I will tell you this make sure you do your homework on them because it is getting tougher and tougher to find a wiemie with a hunting background. From my stand point all of the best pheasant hunting dogs I have ever hunted over have been wiemies. My dad has had two of them now, one when I first started hunting and he just got a pup, one of my buddies also has one that is probably the best hunting dog I have ever personally seen and the guy has done zero actual training with it. I don't know much about the breed other than they have been bred because of their looks so finding one with a solid hunting background could be tough.

One thing you might want to consider is a Visula(sp) they are basically the same dog as a wiemie but have not been bred as predominately for house dogs as wiemies have been.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby pointimgdogs » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:17 pm

You’re from GA, when you talk up land I assume you’re talking Bobs?
pointimgdogs
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:52 am

Look, there are lots of good Weimaraners out there. Someone always has to go with the overbreeding comment, no matter what breed you talk about. Get one who has good bloodlines and it hunts as well as any other breed. Mine doesn't handle the cold very well, and she isn't as fast as some other breeds, and they are right, it does take them longer to mature. But she will hunt all day long and knows exactly what her purpose in life is. They also tend to work pretty close and not stray out so much. Atleast mine have.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

thx guys

Postby MossyOakClub » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:33 am

well, showed my wife all your post on this subject, I am letting her make up her mind ( catch 22 ) so, she will decide on what dog she thinks fits her needs..Personally, I like the weinmers, dont know much about the breed, but always leaned torward labs & I guess always will..
I'm sure somewhere there is a good breeder on weinmers, but finding one that trully hunts his dogs instead of worrying about those ribbons is another story..
thx again
MossyOakClub
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:30 am

phillipstd wrote:my freind did a crap load of research on them, spent the bucks and got a supposedly good one, hahhaha, he's been tryin to train it, had a female too, bred them once, we took it hunting once by it'self this year and he almost shot it, it stayed about 30 yrds behind us walking the whole time, wouldnt hunt,

There you go right there. A good reason why hunting breeds get watered down like they do and why it's so hard to find good hunting lines in some of the breeds. I'm sure the guy sold them as "HUNTING" puppies too even though he new his dog sucked. It basically comes down to being responsible and caretaking your chosen breed. Sporatically mixing breeds and breeding crap to crap will only produce one thing. Any guesses?
gsphunter
hunter

Weineranmer no more..

Postby MossyOakClub » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:54 pm

Well I actually had my mind made up on a lab, just wanted my wife to do the research for herself. I picked up a Yellow/white Lab 8 weeks old this am. " Sadie Belle " she's sleeping, shhhhhhh.........
Thx for the input everyone, Guinness my black lab is soooooo jealous ;)
MossyOakClub
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:26 pm

I know how that goes, adding a new addition and watching the older dog become unbelievably jealous.

Congrats on the new puppy. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum