Best time for a puppy

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Best time for a puppy

Postby mg_reich » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:45 pm

I am in South Dakota. I am looking to get a puppy. When is the best time of year to get a new puppy for hunting purposes. I was thinking this may be a good time of year. The pup would be old enough to experience some hunting next season. Am I correct in thinking this?

Any info/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
mg_reich
Newb

Postby marcbme » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:23 pm

My yellow lab was born a week ago. I'm bringing him home first week of Feb. A pup born about now will be apx 8 months old next hunting season. No where near a finished dog, but should have a good grasp on basic commands and some beggining work on retreives.

In my opinion, thats plenty for a pup
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:22 am

marcbme wrote:My yellow lab was born a week ago. I'm bringing him home first week of Feb. A pup born about now will be apx 8 months old next hunting season. No where near a finished dog, but should have a good grasp on basic commands and some beggining work on retreives.

In my opinion, thats plenty for a pup

:withstupid: This is the best time of the year in my opinion. The pup will be at the perfect age to start working with it for the summer, hunting season is winding down too, so you'll be able to spend time with it.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:24 am

My last dog was 6 months old when introduced to hunting and my current dog was a full year. I think anywhere between would be fine. Of course some common sense is in order with the younger dog. NO unpleasant experiences that may discourage a young dog.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:43 am

Dependent upon the type of hunting you are intending to do. If you are looking at a dog that is primarily for upland, now is fine, but if you are looking for one that it's primary use will be for waterfowl, I like to get them when the water is not too cold for them. I have seen many dogs that have trouble getting back into water if exposed to fridgid cold water as a young pup. No matter when I get a pup though, I always keep them strictly on obedience for at least 8 months, till they are rock solid on it. Most dogs are under trained in obedience and the Owners wonder why the dog breaks, whines, squirms, etc due to lack of obedience.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby duckdog » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:21 pm

I agree with IBBoykin, if you want to introduce it to water, now is'nt a real great time of the year. IMO, I would look at when it will work out best for you, and your work schedule, meaning will you be able to spend more time training a pup now, or during the summer. The first six to eight months are so vital. In my case summer is better, I work 12- 13 hours a day, and the extra daylight helps me out. Just remember to spen as much time as possible, and don't over do it. It does'nt take a whole lot of time to make a great retriever. Good Luck!!!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:36 am

Well said IIBoykin. I see alot more dogs younge and old lacking disipline far more than hunting skills. A hunting dog what ever breed is born with several skills , swimming, marking, retrieving and scenting but not one ounce of dicipline. Good solid obedience will make the never ending job of trainging a good dog alot easier.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:53 pm

mg

You are on the mark with your thinking :thumbsup:

Just do yourself a favor, read up on dog training books before yo get a pup, as often they will get into what to look for in a pup, and as type of dog that best suits your hunting.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Hunting Dog Forum