dog pulling his toys

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

dog pulling his toys

Postby DROPDUX » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:04 pm

My 10 month old lab loves to pull on his toys. When he has bird this is no problem (training with birds has alwasy been serious crap). He always drops the birds at my feet before I can grab it.

When he wants to play he grabs a toy and puts it on my leg or jut on me (with it still in his mouth) and then when I try to grab it he either moves his head, or when I do grab it he starts to growl and pull. I always say "Hand" when I am taking a toy. For a while I tell him to drop it, so I can pick it up.

he still loves to fetch the ball, and he always brings it back to me. he just wants to pull. When I say "hand" he slowly eases his grip usually by the second time I say it he lets go completely.

Should I...

1. Grab the toy say hand, and if he pulls just let go of the toy.

2. Just keep haveing him drop the toy on the ground so I can pick it up.

3. train with treats and maybe he'll forget how much he loves to pull. He IS a chow hound and food rules his life! :laughing:

other suggestions?

tthanks
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:33 pm

wow you got problems!!! that dog needs to learn a few things in a big hurry. you need a drop or give or something in place to get the bird and he should hold it still in his mouth until told to give it to you. droping it at your feet is a bad habit to teach. i'm not going to speak for other people here because i don't know for sure on this but my dogs do NOT have toys. we train/hunt/do other things enough that they don't need toys. they create bad habits and problems as do balls. if its not a dummy that i've placed or thrown then they don't mess with it, period!!!!! IF i owned that dog i would FF soon or have it done for me. the dog is young enough that this would all go away in a hurry with FF and you would still have a chance at a GREAT dog. good luck to you... if you don't want to FF at least do some hold work and teach a release comand, as well as think about doing away with the toys.
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

To Play or Not to Play (with toys)? that is the question

Postby DROPDUX » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:37 pm

1. I don't have problems. I have 1 issue. And that issue has nothing to do with how I have trained him as a hunting dog.

as long as the pup is good in the blind, gets my bird and brings it back to me, and is obedient--I have a good hunting dog. Most of the time I TELL him to drop it at my feet, He knows "Hand", he knows "drop."so far there is no need to FF, but in the future I will if I think he needs it.

Gunny is not just a hunting dog, but a part of my family. If I had no toys--I wouldn't be very happy. Therefore, he gets toys and he loves them, and I'm glad he has them. And I love buying them for him.

What do your dogs do all day and night. Hunt? You must be a professional hunter! must be nice to be able to hunt all day and all night. :toofunny:

give your dog some toys--let him/her be a pup. Anyone who lets their dog play with toys please respond. thanks!
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Joel » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:36 pm

well there his toys i do not train with toys just with bumpers or birds my pup will try the old tug-a -war with his toys just ignore him i dont play with his toys there his. teaching him i use the word give with the birds and bumpers and bumpers and birds are not toys and only took out at training time . when he braings back the bumper and he will not give put your finger in his mouth and open him up and say give and then praise him just take your time but it sounds like someone at your home is playing tug-a-war with your pup. just my two cents could be wrong
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:37 am

thats fine and your right as a dog owner, but don't come on here whining about your problems then because the two are directly related. I'm not a profesional hunter by any stretch and i love and care for my dogs VERY much. But the fact is i've done one dog your way (for the first year of his life) and another dog this way (i feel is the right way) and the difference is night and day. I was not saying that FF was a must because its not. But there are things you need to do if your not FF and allowing the dog to play tug-o-war and show dominace with his toys plus the fact that from your post (mabey/ mabey not true) you almost encorage bad handeling habits and short stoping the delivery by allowing droping the bird at your feet. if you don't want help then quit asking. i'm telling you from first hand experiance what your ISSUE is caused from and you don't want to hear it so keep doing it your way and i hope he drops a double banded bird at your feet and it gets up and flys off on you (if he dosen't just decide to eat it for a snack before giving you the leftovers)

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby cmelik10 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:13 am

DROPDUX I am going to offer you alittle advice now please don't take this personal. First if you are going to come in and ask question please be prepared for answers, some you may like and some you may not. The ones you do not like just don't listen too. There are just as many ways to train a dog as there are dogs out there, and the thing about being a good trainer is you have to find out what works for you and what works for you dog.

You say that you dog is part of your family and that if he didn't have toys it would make him unhappy and you unhappy. Okay we will work with that issue there first. My pup had the same issue with her toys as yours is having so you have two options that I personally see:
1.) Get rid of the toys until the dog knows what "Drop" means and does it everytime you say the command no matter where he is at or what he is got.

2.) Keep the toys around and make him give it to you when you say. There are a couple of ways that you can do this.
A.) When he comes to you with a toy grab ahold of the toy say "Drop" and pry his mouth open. DO NOT let him play tug of war that is a very very bad habit.
B.) When he comes up to you with a toy take a hold of it and say drop, if he does not then let go of the toy and turn your back to him. By not paying attention to him he will soon get the idea that you are not happy with him and if he wants to keep playing he will start to listen trust me.

Personally I feel there is nothing wrong with a dog having toys to play with. However, I do not like plush squeaky toys because I feel that they promote chomping, other may have different opinions on this. Toys I do like are Kongs filled with peanut butter, one toy that I have for my pup is a little kids toy its a ball that when you hit it is lights up and bounces around and makes noise. My pup absolutley love this it keeps her stimulated trying to follow the thing around and catch it, which she can't ever seem to do.

I hope you have gotten some information that you can use from my post. Good luck with you dog and have fun.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:23 pm

cmelik10 wrote:2.) Keep the toys around and make him give it to you when you say. There are a couple of ways that you can do this.
A.) When he comes to you with a toy grab ahold of the toy say "Drop" and pry his mouth open. DO NOT let him play tug of war that is a very very bad habit.
B.) When he comes up to you with a toy take a hold of it and say drop, if he does not then let go of the toy and turn your back to him. By not paying attention to him he will soon get the idea that you are not happy with him and if he wants to keep playing he will start to listen trust me.

Scott

Thank you. That is all I was asking for. I am not taking things personal. I was just trying to get a qestion answered. That wasn't very hard. Scott you did a damn good job.

Hunt Chessies

Him dropping the bird at my feet has nothing to do with him wanting to pull his toys. Thanks for the reply, and your insight is noted and will probably be implemented.

I have not whined about any problems (the subject of this post is not HELP HELP HELP!!). Just asking for suggestions on one.

Thanks
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:51 pm

Him dropping the bird at my feet has nothing to do with him wanting to pull his toys

ok if you say so im glad your advanced understanding of dogs and training them could clear that up for me. here i was thinking the point was a well mannered under control hunting partner(delivering your bird) and house pet toys). news flash my friend both of those actions are the dog telling you that he's in control and things are done his way and at his will. that would make them both signs of poor OB, show of dominace, poor mouth habits, and disregard for your control over the animal. if you can't control it at a foot in front of your face...... how do you do it at 100 yards??? and to further my point consider this... you teach him (or allow it atleast) to play tug-o-war with his toy how does he know you do not do it with a bird??? if he does not deliver to hand whats stoping him for a game of keep-a-way and tug-o-war with a bird after all thats what you do at home with his toys and thats so fun there why not in the field too??? i'm not going to respond anymore to this becuase if your dead set in your ways nothing i could say would change your mind anyhow but im telling you that with a few small changes (not to say you have to take away toys) you could have twice the dog you curently have but if your not willing to listen then i wish you the best with what you got!! happy hunting

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:16 pm

hunt-chessies wrote:
Him dropping the bird at my feet has nothing to do with him wanting to pull his toys

and to further my point consider this... you teach him (or allow it atleast) to play tug-o-war with his toy how does he know you do not do it with a bird???

i'm not going to respond anymore to this becuase if your dead set in your ways nothing i could say would change your mind anyhow but im telling you that with a few small changes (not to say you have to take away toys) you could have twice the dog you curently have but if your not willing to listen then i wish you the best with what you got!! happy hunting

Pulling is not allowed and certainly not encouraged. I already said thanks for the advise and that I may implement some of it. It was a serious remark. I'm not dead set in my ways--thats why I have come to the site. Read the whole post. Thanks
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:50 pm

Drop's, ACE used to try the "PULL" thing everyonce in a while with a stuffed animal or something. I would not let go of it, instead, I gave him a very stern "NO" I would not pull on it or give in to him. Just a "NO" and "GIVE".

Letting go of the toy will let him win, yanking back on it gives him what he wants. A tug of war.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby DROPDUX » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:46 pm

Thanks Ace
DROPDUX
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum