Help on retrieving to hand (pup)

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Help on retrieving to hand (pup)

Postby bowhuntermac03 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:28 pm

I have a well bred Chocolate lab puppy who is almost 10 weeks old and will not retrieve to hand. When I brought him home, he would, bnut we have an older, bigger dog who would hijack him on the way back and take the dummy, so now he grabs his dummy and will get on/under the nearest thing he can find once he grabs. I have stopeed working him around the other dog, but I need to get him back into carrying to my hand. He is a very intelligent pup who will not break stay, even with the big job fetching and retrieving right beside him, so I know it is not an intelligence issue, but something the bigger dog has conditioned him to do.
Any suggestions on reversing this problem?

Thanks!!
Am I the only one who saw that...?
bowhuntermac03
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:23 pm

dude . . . mellow out.

I don't mean to be harsh but your pup is VERY young. at 10 weeks you should be concerned with the dog having fun with the bumper and fetching. retrieving should be a game at this point. expecting a 10 week old dog to retrieve to hand is unreasonable. at this point if the dog brings the thing back to you at all it is great. going and picking the bumper up is doing well.

I would suggest you get a training guide of some sort and follow it. In 8 months it will be time to get into the forced fetch, then you can expect deliveries to hand. don't try to make him run while he is still crawling.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:16 pm

I will agree with harvey. Take a second sit back and relax just a second and thing about it. When you were a year old did you parents expect to be able to write your name in perfect cursive? What you have now is a baby let it be a baby, believe me he will not stay that way. Have alot of fun with the pup fire him up for every single (2-3 a day MAX!!!!!!!!!!!), don't worry about him be steady at all. When he gets to the bumper praise the heck out of him and reel him in with the check chord.

Also get yourself an established program, either Grahams, Lardy, Walters, Dobbs. Read it, read it, read it , read it. Once you have read it, then read it again. Understand what it takes to train your pup to have him be the best hunting buddy you can have. If you have any questions don't feel scared to ask.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby bowhuntermac03 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:59 pm

Thanks guys, but I think ya'll may have misinterpreted the question. The problem is that he WAS bringing to hand like a machine for the first couple of weeks I had him. Not because he was forced to, but because he wanted me to throw again. What has happened is that from getting bullied by my wifes piece of s__t dog and constantly having his toys and bumpers taken away, he has developed a habit of running and getting his dummy, then trying to hide with it, even with the big dog not around. I am not expecting him to be a perfect retriever by ANY means, but was looking for input on how to reverse this habit that he has been conditioned to. I have already started keeping him seperated from the big dog as much as possible (my wife had an undisciplined idiot who I do not want rubbing off on him), but he has gotten so used to having his things taken away, I feel he has actually gon BACKWARDS in this aspect of his training. I appreciate the feedback, and am actually using the Walters books (and the system really works - at 10 weeks old he will sit like he was born doing it and will stay like a champ), but I am not sure how to UN-condition for a bad habit that he was taught.
Thanks again.
bowhuntermac03
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:14 pm

dogs go through stages where they seem to forget everything that you have ever taught them. Even if he WAS retrieving to hand before and he isn't doing it now, don't worry about it he is only 10 weeks old. Just be happy at this point that he is going and picking up the bumper. Put the pup on a check chord and keep him on that check chord for a long time yet. Once he picks up the bumper then reel him in. Don't be worried if he drops it at your feet, halfway to you, or holds onto until you take it from him at this point in the game it doesn't really matter.

One thing you can try and should do is throw his marks in a hallway so he has no other option but to come back to you. Good luck

Scott
Teach and the BUILD then build on what you TEACH. Baby steps, its all about baby steps.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby kansaswingnut » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:49 pm

One thing that could have happened is, once he brought it back you take it away right away. When he brings it back or after you reel him in let him hold it while you shower him with praise and lovin, slip your finger around his collar so he can't run off with it. After a while, when he's in the middle of all this praise, slip it out of his mouth. He might not want to bring it back because you take it from him everytime. At 10 weeks you shouldn't be "working" with him anyway. 2 or3 retrieves a day are plenty.
New birds make us all better hunters...eh.
kansaswingnut
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:04 pm

Meet him half way and get the dummy and give him a treat. It wont take long for him to make the connection. You may still have to get him FF though. My choc delievered to had until he was 6 months old and just started dropping. FF fixed that.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:27 pm

:withstupid: Once the pup gets the connection of retrieve and I get some lovin and a treat he will bring the bumper back every time, and at 10 weeks old your fretting way too much. Chill!!!
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby bowhuntermac03 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:43 pm

Thanks for all the feedback!!!
The only real "working" we do is with basic obed. (sit, stay, etc.)
Fetch time is play time and he loves to do it, but seems to be scared of getting his dummy taken away. I will try the treat trick (he already gets petting and praise every time he goes and gets his dummy) and see if that gets him to bringing it directly back to me.
bowhuntermac03
hunter

Walk away

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:18 am

I had a similar thing start at about 12 weeks. He would begin to go off with the bumper. I would turn around and walk away. Hw would change directions and come over to me. I would go nuts with praise. I never chased him. It becomes a game. I never punished him for nut bringing it back I made it either a game or used his desire for approval to make him want to come to me.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum