Cut Pad Help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Cut Pad Help

Postby flockrockr72 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:45 pm

I have a 10 mo. old black lab male. He cut a pad on his hind foot a week ago. I've been keeping him in the kitchen and bathroom to try to limit his mobility. Let him out to pee last night, and he opened up the wound again. Anybody have any suggestions on how to heal this wound asap? Or how long does a wound like this normally take to heal? Thanks
.....another hen, ah hell, TAKE ER!!
flockrockr72
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:19 pm

It's going to take quite a while for the pad to heel. He will open it up several times no matter what you try to do.

My suggestion is to get some EMT Gel. Everytime he opens it up, clean it out with some saleen or clean water. Then put the emt gel in the cut. You can wrap it up with gauze and an ACE bandage if you want to.

I am guessing it will take at least a month before he quits opening it up and having it bleed. Keep him to minimum activity for a while. It is not a huge deel if it opens up, it is going to happen.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Duck Whittler » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:05 pm

Super glue or the stuff they call liquid bandage will help keep it closed up. but like Ace said it will take a while for it to heal and he will break it open several times before it finaly heals.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby sharpshooter » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:29 am

My lab cut his during the summer on a piece of glass at the boat ramp when we were going fishing, tried to keep it bandage up and clean but he kept opening it up. I ended up taking him to the vet 2 days later and had stitches put in. His was so bad they had to stitch it down in the cut and on the outside. $220 and about 2 weeks later he was close to normal.
sharpshooter
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:08 am

I work for a vet and I agree 100% with ACEBLDRS.
Keep it clean and dry as possible, limit the activity, keep them off any real corse surfaces, and use something like the EMT gel. It will just take time. Depending on the severity of it, I could take several months.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Dogman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:18 pm

My lab opened up one of his pads and I didn't waste any time getting him to they vet.Yes it was expensive but it healed much faster with the stitches and lessened the chance of infection.I kept it wrapped ,which he didn't like,and made sure it stayed covered.He was healed up in three weeks.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2 tollers » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:19 pm

I had two dog foot problems last year. First one the youngest dog came out limping after a retrieve in bush. There was a spot of blood between her frnot toes. Took her to the vet who said nothing in the foot , gave us anti -infection pills and said it would heal on its own- $200. 3 weeks later a piece of wood came out.
Second problem older dog cut his pad very deep. I treated this as ACE outlined - cleaned the wound, EMT gell, cootton pad, tape and changed the dressing weekly. Duff was out of action for just under about 2 1/2 weeks.
EMT gel, keeping the pad clean and changing the dressing works.
2 tollers
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum