breeding time

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

breeding time

Postby harvey1b » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:52 pm

I have a bitch lab that I am planning to breed in the near future after she passes the eye-elbow-hip check. My question is if there is an advantage to a spring vs fall/winter breeding? I want to get max. hunting with my dog and I also want to to get the pups of on the best foot if there is a difference in the time of year they are born.

I am leaning toward the fall breeding b/c I could hunt with her next fall and she would have all winter to go through the birth and all that. Additionally my impression is that puppies born in the winter are a little more suited to the elements, but that is a completely subjective opinion that I can't back up at all. I was hoping some of you might have a better feel for this.

Thanks,
Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:09 am

My Friend bred his Lab to my male in the fall we hunted her til about a week away from her due date taking care she didn't over due it then once the pups were weaned at about 6 weeks we took her out again and she and the pups did fine. We always had a back up dog to make the more difficult retrieves.

the other advantage of having a litter in the fall and winter the pups will be close to ready for next hunting season.

just personal preference.
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:07 pm

If I were going to breed dogs, I would shoot for a winter litter, my neighbor always has pups evry year, and the winter pups always seem to do better. There mother will keep them warm, where as in the summer months, they have to deal with the heat, Flies and other bugs seem to bother them alot also. The only down side to winter is if you live in the cold region, its harder to introduce them to water at a earlier age, but that should'nt really matter, if there is good bloodlines involved.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum