Sitting in water

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Sitting in water

Postby Heather » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:54 pm

My YLF does not want to sit in the water. I never had a problem with it until I took her hunting. Now, she almost refuses to sit in the water. She will squat down just above the water when I tell her to sit, but that doesn't last too long. How can I fix this?
Heather
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:29 pm

get something for her to get her out of the water just alittle. they make special stands but you could probably construct you own for next to nothing. just make sure whatever you use you train with it in the yard to help your pup get use to it. good luck

Scott
Teach and the BUILD then build on what you TEACH. Baby steps, its all about baby steps.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:42 pm

Keep the dog dry or make sure she has something dry to sit and stand on. My dog will sit in 1ft deep water for a short period of time, but it really pisses him off.. I only will make him sit in the water if he is going out for a retrieve and some ducks come in.

Most dogs hate standing or sitting in water for any amount of time.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:47 pm

cmelik10 wrote:get something for her to get her out of the water just alittle. they make special stands but you could probably construct you own for next to nothing. just make sure whatever you use you train with it in the yard to help your pup get use to it. good luck

Scott

I wouldn't want to sit in the water either. Until they invent some doggy waders I would'nt ask her to. If it makes you uncomfortable it'll make your dog uncomfortable too.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:11 pm

hvacfowler wrote:
I wouldn't want to sit in the water either. Until they invent some doggy waders I would'nt ask her to. If it makes you uncomfortable it'll make your dog uncomfortable too.

YEP, look up sportstands on google. I think coon river kennels sell them. They are heavy and expensive, but they are worth it. When i say heavy i mean 40lbs or a little less maybe. cost, around $150. I bought one last season and it makes a world of difference. It gives the dog a nice dry place to sit and more importantly, it gives them a place to sit. The dog won't move around or wonder off, because it has it's PLACE.

I have let some buddies use it for their pups first hunts. When a puppy is first out in a hunting situation, most times guys havn't tought them to be steady or still, the sportstand does that really easy. The pup likes being up and out ot the water and won't leave the stand.

I have seen many home made ones and as long as it works for your type of hunting then it is good.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Webfoot12 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:15 pm

My dog does not like to sit in water either. I took her out for early teal season and she still did not want to sit. I wouldn't want to either.

For those days we hunt outside the boat I bought an oversized, camo camping chair. We dressed it up with some natural vegetation and it works fairly well.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby bullet » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:50 am

Homemade stand made out of EMT and a 18x18 wood top. It's lite and I built it to fit my cart. The dog loves it and it becomes his "place" or "kennel". Here's a pic of my dog and my seat sits in front of his in about 3' of water. I don't like siting in water , and it can't help the joints out either
bullet
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:47 pm

Why would you want your dog to sit in the water for any length of time anyway? Provide her with a platform, helps keep them steady too.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:01 pm

why you sit in the water as long as they are steady what shuold it matter.
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Postby bullet » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:59 am

h2oknine wrote:why you sit in the water as long as they are steady what shuold it matter.

I'm thinking arthritis might come a lil quicker. My feet dangle in the water but I'm not sitting in it.
bullet
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum