First time training a dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

First time training a dog

Postby ehugeone » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:31 pm

Hi, I was looking to get some general info on training a lab to retrieve. I have not bought a dog yet but wanted to get as much information on the matter before doing so. This would be my first time and I do not have any friends that are professional trainers or whom have done this type of thing before.

Do you happen to know of any books or videos that would be helpful or would just hiring a trainer be the best route.

Any help and your first time experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eric
ehugeone
hunter

Postby Voda » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:44 pm

I got my first dog this year from my brother in law. He has been training for years with his entire family. He has also posted a website www.adventuresoutdoors.org ,you will find a lot of helpfull information on puppy selection and training. I am luck in that I have family that train and would recomend a pro to get the dog force fetched.

Edited by 98ramtough to fix hyperlink.
Voda
Newb

Postby b c g s » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:40 pm

First of all you need to check the background of the dog. Look for hunting ability/ hunt test / AKC retriever trials, something of that nature. If you find one with these qualities they should have a natural instinct to retrieve. As far as books go Water Dog by Richard A Walters is a good one, Retriever Training by Tritronics. Socialize the dog and work with him or her every day. Take them with you every where you can and inforce the common obediance. ie. Sit Stay Come Down. Let the puppy be a puppy play fech with him and at first if he dose not bring it right back to you dont worry about it. Let time take its corse. Have fun with the puppy. When it is time the dog will do what you want.

:thumbsup:
Tom and Rondi
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:48 am

Like the others have said, find a puppy with a good history. Make sure the direct parents were both hunters. Who cares if the 5th grandpa hunted, over 80% of his habits will come from the direct parents. After you get the puppy, find a NAHRA dog club or similar and talk to people, most guys are very helpful and you will learn a lot...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:35 pm

Bear Creek & Mike are SPOT ON! Take that advice and follow it, you will not regret it.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Hawk » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:57 am

some advice on picking your puppy. Background check....don't go to one of those breeding cat houses that puts out dogs just for money. :pissed: Get some info on the breeder, Are you looking for a hunting dog, or a field trail dog? check w/ the breeders or trainers and ask questions. let them know what your going to do with the dog. They will in return ask you questions also....Like how much room or space you have outside for dog to roam/play etc. do you live in the cities or country. Their just not gonna sell their dog to any old stranger either. they have a reputation too. the next question you need to ask yourself is Do I have time to train this dog? be honest w/yourself, Are you trainning the dog for hunting around the house and beening the family pet? If you are, Water Dog is the book for you. Week by week progress on the dog {pet}. This is what I prefer also. Good Luck in the futher, hope I help shed the light on few things for you.....Hawk
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Thanks

Postby ehugeone » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:24 am

All helpful information. I can't wait to get the ball rolling on this.
ehugeone
hunter

Postby duckdog » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:11 am

there right richard a walters gun dog or water dog, both excellent books or videos. i used it on my yellow lab it was amazing how easy it was and fun to see how you will bond with your dog. its put in easy to understand wording and if you keep at it you'll have an excellent dog for a long time . i suggest getting the book before the pup because there is a chapter on picking out your pup in there. remember to keep at your traing and dont get discouraged. with mine i worked with him 20 minutes in the morning before i goto work and when i get home to and i work 10 to 12 hour days so there is always time for the dog. i also have a wife and three kids and with my dog it makes a fourth kid good luck
duckdog
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum