Newbie question: do dogs scare ducks?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Newbie question: do dogs scare ducks?

Postby Peake » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:18 pm

Does a dog need to be concealed while hunting, or can it jast lay outside the blind?
Peake
hunter

Postby aaron » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:24 pm

Boy, talk about different schools of thought ! Personally , I've never had any problems with my dogs flaring birds as long as they were somewhat steady.So....draw your own conclusions
aaron
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:37 pm

Yeah, I think it depends on the dog, where you are hunting, and how skiddish the birds are on a given day. As for myself, I always TRY to keep my dog concealed as much as possible without impeding on his ability to mark the birds. Some setups it is easier to accomplish this than others. But just like any other type of concealment issue, motion is the key. If you have a dog that will sit still when the birds are working, it probably won't flare most.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:31 pm

I always try to conceal my dog, but make sure the dog CAN see the birds as well as you. It is important that the dog can see what is going on, otherwise you are asking them to do blind retrieves all the time.

I see guys all the time get pissed at thier dogs for not seeing birds fall when the dog is sitting in a hole and cannot see anything.

That said I think dogs can scare ducks even when they are completely still. Just depends on the surroundings.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:41 pm

i havent had to much trouble with dogs flaring birds.usually they sit still tell birds fall.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:00 pm

I figured I'd qualify my reply. MY dog sits still. Most any WELL TRAINED dog will pretty much sit still. Now the majority of the retrievers I see in the field, they don't sit still. A well trained dog knows what he is out there for and their hunting instincts kick in. They'll stay still.

I still try to cover mine though!
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:09 pm

Dogs are not that different from us. They need to have some concealment and to stay still. They also need to be able to see for all the reasons stated. If a dog can see well, they tend to be more content while waiting. And they always seem to spot the birds before we do.

I think a dog does best right by your side. That way you will have a good listener that actually seems interested in what you are saying.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:30 pm

I know my dog does his best when he is right by my side, the problem is that the places I hunt don't really allow this. When we are hunting our blind on the big water, if he is by my side then he can't see out of the blind. If I put him up on a table, he can see great but takes up a shooting port. When we hunt flooded fields I keep him elevated out of the muck in a homemade blind. It keeps him 'contained' and covered, but it is at least 10 feet away from me. When we are hunting dry fields for geese, he is in his own blind on the outside edge.

If there is one thing I have really worked hard on this year it is working him away from me in various positions. It isn't part of most training regiments, but boy does it make it nice.
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Snaph » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:06 pm

I know next to nothing about duck hunting. But I do know one thing; dogs and birds are natural enemies. Steve answered my question before I posted it, about keeping a dog in a blind. I will only guess that if a bird spots a dog...game over.
Snaph
hunter

Worth there weight in gold!!!

Postby jduck1 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:11 pm

I have a buddy that has a Lab that is almost white. First thing in the AM it looks like a light bulb is on in the tules :laughing:

I also have a friend that has a Chessi. She is chocolate color and sits still. She also will always set herself up in the very front of the tule patch we hunt 1/2 in and 1/2 out so she can see. We have never had any problems with her flairing birds.

My black lab does much the same but does scare birds that have lit in the AM and waiting for shoot time as he gets cold and chatters his teeths sometimes :yes:

Regaurdless of is they do or don't I know they find more birds that I would have never gotten without them. Way more birds than they have ever flaired. In fact one of the bands handing on my laryard is only there because of my best friend :tounge:

With all that said this will be my first season hunting without a dog. My lab has come down with cancer and I will be taking this weekend for his last hunt before we have to put him down :thumbsdown:
jduck1
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:15 pm

jduck1--- so sorry to hear about your dog. It has got to be one of the harder things for a guy to do.........

I like listening to guys who truly respect thier dogs talk about them, its what its all about man!

:salude:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:28 pm

Man, I hate to hear that Jduck1...

Make the most of the weekend. I've had to do that before and it is one of the toughest things in the world to do. That's a tight bond between a dog and his master. Good luck man...

Mike, you're a BIG softy too!
SteveInTN
hunter

Jduck

Postby Snaph » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:30 pm

My friend put down his black Lab down this summer for the same reason. I took care of his dogs when he would go out of town for the last five-plus years. "Charlotte" was in a way, was my dog when I could not have one. And when while I was going through a divorce, playing with her was the medicine I needed. I loved her like she was mine. When I got my own dog... they would chase the ball together (both major ball freaks)...in the field, into the pond, both taking turns bringing it back. A dog that was not mine...ment so much to me. When she left us, I was crushed...I still am. My dog "Dega" (and this is kind of weird) since Charlotte has been gone, Dega acts more like her than ever before. Dega has out of nowhere, taken on alot of her traits she never showed before. When my buddy comes over and Dega wants to play with him...I can tell he sees his old dog in her. I can also see the pain in his eyes. I don't care if I sound like a sissy, dogs become part of us, and us a part of them. I love everyday I come home from work and have a dog that greets me with kisses and her happy bark she makes. I can have the worst day at work, but when I get home my dog is there to make everything better. I am getting "misty" thinking about Charlotte...I will stop now.
Snaph
hunter

Thanks guys!!

Postby jduck1 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:47 pm

Thanks for the support! The day I found out about the cancer I called in sick to work. I am a CA peace officer. When I called in sick that day I was crying like a big old baby. Most of the guys at work have hunted with Jayk at one time or the other and I know they felt the same way. We have to be thankful that we found out about it before he was really bad. It has given the entire family time for it to sink in and time to spend some quality time with him.
The opener in CA is this weekend. I have been getting things ready this week. Even with him not in the best of health he still wouldn't leave my side after seeing the camo, guns, and decoys out. Fact of life but sometimes life really SUCKS the BIG ONE!!!

Thanks again for all the support. I will keep you posted in the coming week or so!

jduck1
jduck1
hunter

Postby Snaph » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:33 pm

I know you will make his last days the best... Crap, I do not even know you or Jayk, and it is killing me. I just understand the bond. This whole thing sucks. My buddy got a new Black lab after Charlotte went to play in Heaven. He said: "she is not (Matty) a replacement for Char...just a new start". All our dogs want to do is love us. When you have to put him down...be there with him (not saying you wont be) I think we owe them that much...if not more. Damn this is sad.
Snaph
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:22 am

Steve- yes I have been known to be a little bit of a softy when it comes to dogs....

Jduck1- A new start is a better way to think of it than replacing the old dog. You know, its kind of like dating.... You can't really compare other women against each other, it just doesnt work. Dogs are the same, when you get a new pup, you can't really compare them, its just another new start...... Listen to me, I sound like a damn country song.... Make the most out of your weekend, take TONS of pics and post em up here. I remember reading a post on another site from a guy named NevadaJim and having to put his dog down, I don't know if you guys have heard of him but he is a HELL of a guy and admits to crying over the "durn" dogs..

Best of luck to your weekend Jduck1!

:salude:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

My hearts out to you Jduck!!

Postby rlp1970 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:29 pm

Man they are part of the family. I got choked up reading your post about your dog. Hope he had a good hunt and hang in there. I have just had mine for 4 months and he is 3 years old and I have been very impressed with him so far.
Take Care,
Robert
rlp1970
hunter

Postby patchief » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:09 am

first off sorry to all about your dogs,i know my BlackJack is a family member herself and i expect it to be really hard when the time comes.As far as dogs in the blind or out side of it as long as their still ive never had a problem while the birds are in the air,so far though when they land on the water out side shooting ranges i've had them swim into my spread or in closer to shore by actually allowing blackJack out to run a little.Its like they come over to taunt or something.
Strength and Honor
patchief
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:31 pm

haha been there and tried it, as soon as I let my dog out to run, if there are ducks in the water he wants them...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby benNELY » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:29 pm

Peak, you got alot of feed back re: dogs scaring ducks .(All sound advice) Yeah of coarse they can. Ducks are skidish pray that are always ready to bolt.
(My 2cents)I personally trained my yellow lab to wait and watch the hunt either close to me or from a distance. Sometimes it's better to have him down shore or across the river where he can get a bigger picture of what's going on and mark birds from a better vantage point.(w/o being spotted by birds) He's super patient as long as he has an unobstructed view of me.Since he takes commands by hand signal or voice , the distance is not really an issue.
benNELY
Newb

Postby IBBoykin » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:44 pm

http://www.nsdtrc-usa.org/ USA club for Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. For anyone unaware, this breed is used to attrack or to toll ducks. Generally, like late in the season when they are bunched up out in the open water and you call and call and they will not come in. However, they have documented them actually turning the ducks in flight.
[/img]
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum