Is a chocolate lab or Chesapeake bay retriever better?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Is a chocolate lab or Chesapeake bay retriever better?

Postby ohio mike » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:52 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
ohio mike wrote:I always thought for big open water and icey conditions a seal would be perfect.(chocolate of course). The circus showbiz types don't have any trouble training em. The Navy even uses them.

Force fetch a seal? Interesting. I don't think an e-collar would stay on a seal very well however.

Nay,the Wild Rose way.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
ohio mike wrote:I always thought for big open water and icey conditions a seal would be perfect.(chocolate of course). The circus showbiz types don't have any trouble training em. The Navy even uses them.

Force fetch a seal? Interesting. I don't think an e-collar would stay on a seal very well however.

Can't use an e-collar or heeling stick. A heeling club works.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:00 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:

Can't use an e-collar or heeling stick. A heeling club works.

:lol3: I guess if they don't work out as retrievers you can always make baby seal skin jacket and pants out of em. Those would blend in nicely in the snow.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby NurseMan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Can't use an e-collar or heeling stick. A heeling club works.[/quote]

:lol3: I guess if they don't work out as retrievers you can always make baby seal skin jacket and pants out of em. Those would blend in nicely in the snow.[/quote]

:lol3: :hammer: PETA would have a field day with this thread....
Dustin's Artemis of the Wildlands

"First it's pretty tires, then it's pretty guns. Next thing you know, you're shaving your beard and wearing capri pants. It's a sissy spiral."
NurseMan
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:07 pm

I refused to use an ecollar with my dog. I decided to use a series of insults instead. If that failed, then I broke out the cattle prod. It usually worked with just the insults. He's rather intelligent, and he knows what I am saying. We carry on conversations regularly. He's like the voices in my head. It's not right that I hear what they say, but they give good advice.
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Tuff5254 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote: :lol3: I guess if they don't work out as retrievers you can always make baby seal skin jacket and pants out of em. Those would blend in nicely in the snow.

Keep you warm on those really cold mornings too!!! I LIKE IT! :thumbsup:
Tuff5254
hunter

Postby mw46 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:

If ya go with a british seal, there's no need to force fetch or ecollar
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby razorback » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:

Very small ears... but it can be done

razorback
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:52 pm

I must have a defective chocolate lab also ,she loves the water and hits it hard on a retrieve ,,at anything from 90 degrees down to 11 ,Iv'e had her in the water ,never bothers her and only Tanner's second season too. Recently in training she has swam over 250 yards for a retrieve. In all honesty I was ''talked '' out of getting a Chessie, because of what people had heard about a few bad cases. The only Chesepeake I was ever around seemed aloof ,regal ,and a one person dog ,not mean though.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:54 pm

I have a chocolate lab that loves water to a fault, so I am partial to them. I will tell you to do alot of research before you buy a chocolate. They are very popular and alot of them are being bred for show currently. It took me 6 months to find a litter with a solid hunting background (Tenbear Kennels Tick x Brownwaterdog's Ugottabelieve) in a size that was manageable. Good luck and do lots of research.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:26 am

I prefer Remington, Rich-n-Tone, Dodge, Budweiser, and Labs.

I'd try a Big black Poodle and be famous as the only guy fool enough to use a poodle for duck-hunting. Just think about the cockle burs. OMG!

Give me some time and I'll post up a lot of good shots of Milo (my yella dog). Getting a new camera and we're going to work at an Arkansas duck club that shoots many, many ducks this season. I'll be the photographer. Been working our way up to it.

Nice work on the brown dog shots!

Sorry about getting off-topic.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby 716 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:27 am

You can get stuck with a bum of either breed. Since you are concerned with aesthetics (as am I) you probably need to do more homework than someone that just wants a good ol black lab. Research the pedigrees, learn what all the different hunt test abbreviations mean. Realize for example, the Junior hunter (JH) in the AKC series can be accomplished by almost any dog (slight exaggeration...) Some breeders don't hunt test much, but have excellent reputations through word-of-mouth.

A potentially unfair generalization I'll make about breeders is to watch for chessie breeders that have more conformation titles (show dogs) than advanced hunt tests (ie see where there priorities are and that they are not simply paying lip service to hunting; don't be fooled by pictures of their dogs with birds, these are easy to take and don't say much about a dogs performance). For labs, the kind of dogs that win show titles are quite different than the ones that hunt, so its not as big a problem.

The best advice I can give is to ask the breeder for references! And then realize some ppl will exaggerate their dogs ability, but none as badly as the breeder (another slight exaggeration)!

And the perhaps even more importantly...Don't get puppy fever (the common syndrome where a person looking for a new pup makes their decision based on the percieved scarceness of litters or being swayed by the cuteness of a pup; symptoms include rationalizing the decision with considerations other than your original bird-dog criteria)
hunter

Postby peteyg2 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:09 am

I didn't even have to read the responses...though they were great for a laugh.

PS Yellas are the best.
peteyg2
hunter

Postby Riverrunner342 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:42 pm

Labs as a rule are easier to result. More fun to hunt over.
Chocolates are just far better looking.
Attachments
chewymis2-20111018-131348.jpg
Riverrunner342
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Riverrunner342 wrote:Labs as a rule are easier to result. More fun to hunt over.

You forgot to mention that Chessies are lazy:
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:21 pm

I bet coyote boy is a hard charger and a go getter...you just wore him out.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ohio mike » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Riverrunner342 wrote:Labs as a rule are easier to result. More fun to hunt over.

You forgot to mention that Chessies are lazy:

Rick,that is quite possably one of the neatest dog pics I have ever seen.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:44 am

on a further note!!!about chocolates not liking water ,,I won't mention the high river water rerieves I' ve seen Drake ,,Tanners dad do, and her as well,,both chocolates,,but yesterday Tanner a 2 1/2 yr. old stood in belly deep water over an hour retrieve a 12 pound goose ,,swim along side of Tyler and I while we walked the swamp,,uhh we we wading about in knee to waist deep water for over an hour that time as well,no whines no complaints ,shook off and seated herself beside me wating for the next retrieve!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Sam69 wrote:I am goin got get one I just can't decide which. I want the one that is easiest to train and the one that wont go run off with anyone it sees go by. So which one do u guys like better?

please dont buy a chessie -theres enough of them screwed up in rescues without adding another one to the numbers.
solway gunner
hunter

Postby spoonielips » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:06 pm

Rick that is the best pic i've ever seen. Not just because its a chessy either. I say if the guy doesn't already know chessies, and doesn't have help in training one, or a good schedule to start with at 7 weeks, dont ruin a chessy please. It is easy for a person that has been around them and knows what to expect. Me, there is no better dog to gaurd the house, truck, boat, blind, ha ha us chessy guys are a dying breed along with this great dog. Too many breeders going after show, not hunt ready dogs. I'm in the market for one after no dog to hunt with for the last few years, but california has no great stock at a decent price. If you guys know of one shout at me. joe.
spoonielips
hunter

Postby brookf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:15 pm

Ok, you lab guys have me confused :huh: :huh: ...(not hard to do)

I thought all the lab colors (black, yellow and brown) could be made from any combination of parents. Example 2 blacks could have any or all color combinations in a litter as could a litter from 2 yellows etc...

So wouldn't it just depend on the parents and how the litter turns out , regardless of color?? Are there real behavior or other differences among the different colors or just among different litters?
brookf
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:29 pm

brookf wrote:Ok, you lab guys have me confused :huh: :huh: ...(not hard to do)

I thought all the lab colors (black, yellow and brown) could be made from any combination of parents. Example 2 blacks could have any or all color combinations in a litter as could a litter from 2 yellows etc...

So wouldn't it just depend on the parents and how the litter turns out , regardless of color?? Are there real behavior or other differences among the different colors or just among different litters?

No need to be confused. It really all boils down to lab owners more than the lab itself. You see black lab owners understand that only black labs can become field trial champions, but they may become victims of prejudicial comments from the lighter colored dogs. Chocolate lab owners realize their dogs are more photogenic than others, but they do not like getting wet and yellow lab owners are simply superior to the other 2, particularly if said yellow lab is from British stock. I hope this provides you the needed clarification. Now regarding chessies, they are apparently all mean, hard headed and nearly impossible to train.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:42 pm

brookf wrote:Ok, you lab guys have me confused :huh: :huh: ...(not hard to do)

Umm...you see, we are all making a joke on this subject. The color of the dog means nothing as far as performance in the field.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby brookf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Ahh got it... :thumbsup:

So the rule is:

(Insert color of *my* lab here) is the superior color of lab.
brookf
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:51 pm

brookf wrote:Ahh got it... :thumbsup:

So the rule is:

(Insert color of *my* lab here) is the superior color of lab.

Yes that is correct! :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum