Is a chocolate lab or Chesapeake bay retriever better?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: Is a chocolate lab or Chesapeake bay retriever better?

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:52 pm

Exactly! There are good and bad labs of every color, just like the races of men.

Its just a known fact that the brown ones are by far the best looking.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:53 pm

TomKat wrote:Exactly! There are good and bad labs of every color, just like the races of men.

Its just a known fact that the brown ones are by far the best looking.

:lol3: :lol3: Here we go again.....
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Sandman3400 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
brookf wrote:Ok, you lab guys have me confused :huh: :huh: ...(not hard to do)

I thought all the lab colors (black, yellow and brown) could be made from any combination of parents. Example 2 blacks could have any or all color combinations in a litter as could a litter from 2 yellows etc...

So wouldn't it just depend on the parents and how the litter turns out , regardless of color?? Are there real behavior or other differences among the different colors or just among different litters?

No need to be confused. It really all boils down to lab owners more than the lab itself. You see black lab owners understand that only black labs can become field trial champions, but they may become victims of prejudicial comments from the lighter colored dogs. Chocolate lab owners realize their dogs are more photogenic than others, but they do not like getting wet and yellow lab owners are simply superior to the other 2, particularly if said yellow lab is from British stock. I hope this provides you the needed clarification. Now regarding chessies, they are apparently all mean, hard headed and nearly impossible to train.

This is a common misconception brought about by feelings of inadequacy in those who are too timid or scared to own a chessie. :crying:
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Sandman, there is a 3rd reason for me-

It is totally impossible to improve on my brown dog, no matter what dog it is. Mine, for me, is the best dog on planet earth.

Also, being chocolate colored, she is naturaly one of the most beautiful, too.

enjoy your Chessie. At best, for me, he could only reach the status of #2.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby brookf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Easy way to solve this heated debate...

Have the same guy walk around a set populated area with first a black, then yellow and finally a chocolate puppy. Whichever color puppy gets him the most attention and possible dates from human females is the clear winner.

Seem logical??

:biggrin:

brookf
hunter

Postby labman63 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:57 pm

Right now I have 2 blacks(my dogs),2 yellows,2 chocolates and a brown chessie in the kennel(just had a deadgrass chessie go home) I would hunt with any of them! All fine dogs but I prefer black ones myself. But who's to say I won't have another color someday. If the right breeding and the right deal comes along who knows. Actually looking into a Pow litter now and he is yellow bred to a black female.
labman63
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:19 am

brookf wrote:Easy way to solve this heated debate...

Have the same guy walk around a set populated area with first a black, then yellow and finally a chocolate puppy. Whichever color puppy gets him the most attention and possible dates from human females is the clear winner.

Seem logical??

:lol3: I like your thinking! These aren't puppy pictures, but you get the idea. Let the games begin...
12345.jpg
12345.jpg (234.69 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
12346.jpg
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby razorback » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:57 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:
brookf wrote:Easy way to solve this heated debate...

Seem logical??

:lol3: I like your thinking! These aren't puppy pictures, but you get the idea. Let the games begin...
12345.jpg
12346.jpg

Why are you stalking that nice lady and her dog? :wink:
razorback
hunter

Postby Jmshrsn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm

I recently got a Chesapeake Bay Retriever as a companion and work dog. I won't lie and tell you that they are a breeze to train but at 5 months he is already doing single retrieves and taking direction, on top of mastery of basic commands, sit, stay, here, heel etc. They are smart but if you go with a Chessie be prepared to put the time in. These are not dogs that you should send off to do training. They perform best when they are trained by their owners and the process also helps build a close bond for the two of you. My good friend bought a yellow lab and she is an amazing dog, in all the above aspects, as well but I wanted a dog that would naturally protect my family and not want to be everyone they sees dog. In all aspects it is a take the good with the bad.
Attachments
IMG_0419.JPG
Jmshrsn
Newb

Postby Jmshrsn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Sandman3400 wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:
brookf wrote:Ok, you lab guys have me confused :huh: :huh: ...(not hard to do)

I thought all the lab colors (black, yellow and brown) could be made from any combination of parents. Example 2 blacks could have any or all color combinations in a litter as could a litter from 2 yellows etc...

So wouldn't it just depend on the parents and how the litter turns out , regardless of color?? Are there real behavior or other differences among the different colors or just among different litters?

No need to be confused. It really all boils down to lab owners more than the lab itself. You see black lab owners understand that only black labs can become field trial champions, but they may become victims of prejudicial comments from the lighter colored dogs. Chocolate lab owners realize their dogs are more photogenic than others, but they do not like getting wet and yellow lab owners are simply superior to the other 2, particularly if said yellow lab is from British stock. I hope this provides you the needed clarification. Now regarding chessies, they are apparently all mean, hard headed and nearly impossible to train.

This is a common misconception brought about by feelings of inadequacy in those who are too timid or scared to own a chessie. :crying:

That is foolishness. To imply that every dog of this breed is mean and impossible to train is parallel to me saying that because I was bitten by a Golden Retriever, they are all attack dogs. Go to a Chessie Breeder who knows what they are doing and has proven dogs and he will show you that Chessies are loyal and loving. I will say that a Chessie owner will need to learn how to train this dog but just because they learn differently doesn't mean that they are any less capable.
Jmshrsn
Newb

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Psst... he's funnin'.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Grouse » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Just a thought why not go with a springer? but I have a little bias :hi:
Attachments
100_0363.JPG
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby Poppinpoon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Im fond of chessies had a few as a kid duck and goose hunting then had a few labs now back to chessies wouldn't own a lab now my Chesapeake hunts circles around my dads labradors(no offense lab owners ) and maybe my brothers chocolate lab but at 3 months isnt fair to judge
Attachments
IMG-20111106-00150.jpg
Poppinpoon
Newb

Postby teamMASSacre » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:36 pm

I have to say that training my fathers yellow lab was a breeze. In fact (this is not me tooting my horn. the dog herself was amazing) If she had gone to someone who knew what they were doing, I'd say there would be a chance a good number of people would have heard of her. After her I picked up a peake male who was tons of fun and scared of nothing. He progressed SOOOO much slower than my fathers lab though. Sadly I lost him to a car when he was still very young. Now I have a new peake that honestly shows all the potential in the world. It is definately me who is falling short. He is very sensitive and takes a long time to get confident with drills. He is by far the smartest dog I've come across. Too smart sometimes.
teamMASSacre
hunter

Postby jtowne » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:16 am

No lab has ever shown up my chessie in a duck blind. But I have had some lab owners go put thier labs back in the truck. :yes:
They are all good dogs jsut do your homework and get one thats likes to work.
jtowne
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:19 am

I have always been the weak link in training my chessies.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby Born2fish » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:22 pm

I've had several labs mostly black ones. I got a chessie by mistake from a lab rescue. they thought it was a chocolate lab. He was a great dog and sold me on chessies'. The one thing I've learned is the only thing they have in common are they're both retrievers. It takes patience and persistence to train a dog, it takes more patience and persistence to train a chessie. It's been very rewarding and definitely amplifies your short comings.
Born2fish
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Mon May 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Riverrunner342 wrote:Labs as a rule are easier to result. More fun to hunt over.
Chocolates are just far better looking.

Anyone who likes the chocolates should give mine a try. :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMAG0612.jpg
IMAG0467.jpg
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby don novicki » Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 pm

Get a Chesadore.........then you got the best of both worlds, and chances are it will be brown. :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Thu May 31, 2012 6:11 pm

don novicki wrote:Get a Chesadore.........then you got the best of both worlds, and chances are it will be brown. :thumbsup:
Really?

What are the chances?

If I bred one of my Labs with a Chessie, I can give you a 100% outcome of what color the pups will be. Black, black, and black.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:22 pm

They don't bite much but up in Maine this past yr we had one kept bumping the decoys with his nose.c
TomKat wrote:Seals look like biters to me-

I fell into my brown dog sort of by accident, and I have to say she has grown on me. My next one may be brown, too. She blends in like crazy in the shadows, its amazing.
labman63
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:25 pm

Still trying to figure out why the breed has anything to do with "goes off with anyone it see's go by" That would be the trainers fault not the breed of dog. And for the record "If it ain't black send it back"
labman63
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:49 pm

Lighten up Copterdoc.........that was a joke. Jeez some guys have no sense of humor................. :hi:
don novicki
hunter

Postby shane019 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:07 am

Last fall I picked up my first Chessie (Poacher) however he was 5 months old (February) and he was ran over. So in May I picked Tikka from the same breeder. Full brother different batch. Poacher was over 60 pounds at 5 months old. Tikka seems to have more drive than Poacher but also seems to have alot more of an attitude as well. My Dad has a full brother to the 2 of them and that dog will run or swim as long as your willing to throw something for him. His drive is unbelievable..... This spring he was crawling in and out of the ice in the river.

I added a couple picks of the 2. Poacher's picture is just from a cell phone so isn't great.
Attachments
IMG_0047.JPG
Tikka
Poacher 1.jpg
Poacher
If it Flies it Dies!!!
shane019
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:22 am

Nice looking dogs. Sorry to hear about your loss. Never an easy thing to deal with :sad:
spoonysmaker
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum