Is a chocolate lab or Chesapeake bay retriever better?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Is a chocolate lab or Chesapeake bay retriever better?

Postby shane019 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:30 pm

spoonysmaker wrote:Nice looking dogs. Sorry to hear about your loss. Never an easy thing to deal with :sad:

Yeah it was tough..... You don't realize how attached you can become to an animal till you have one. Took him to the vet and he needed a $3000 surgery and was going to loose his tail and they didn't know if he would walk again so I figure it would be best for him to put him down. Probably toughest decision of my life... Still costed me $850 at the vet.....
If it Flies it Dies!!!
shane019
hunter

Postby Lupa2701 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:40 pm

From a trainers point of view....If you want a dog who will do exactly as told without any deviation, even if those instructions are wrong, you want a lab. If you want a free thinking independent dog who will do what needs to be done you want a Chesapeake Bay.
Lupa2701
Newb

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:49 pm

You're too late. The Original poster bailed in October 2011. One post and POOF! Gone. We think he got a cat.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby dogyak » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:58 pm

HNTFSH wrote:You're too late. The Original poster bailed in October 2011. One post and POOF! Gone. We think he got a cat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dogyak
hunter

Postby Labs » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:12 am

dogyak wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:You're too late. The Original poster bailed in October 2011. One post and POOF! Gone. We think he got a cat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure the poster that revived this thread will be one and done too.... :wink:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:23 am

Nope Seal. :biggrin:
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Beretta06 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:20 pm

I read through this thread. Some of you guys should not comment on Chesapeake's you are clueless, there is one comment stating you have to watch out for Chesapeake breeders because of the show titles rather than field trial titles. Good breeding starts with looks, breed standards. A Chessie without the double thick oily, curly coat is what? A dog that can't do what the dog was originally intended to do. Retrieve 100s of birds in icy water for market hunters.if the genetics are right the dogs are right. Lab owners should know this. Backyard breeders have made it difficult to sort through the crap to get a good dog. Although if you make the mistake of buying a $400 or $500 dollar dog from a backyard without checking pedigrees you get what you deserve. I did that with a Chessie, she was a great hunter, outstanding hunter, @ 7 she developed spinal problems, that were caused by a genetic disorder, so now that I have taken on the breeding role, I have done everything to breed a superior dog, my female came from Washington from a reputable breeder, she has genetic clearance, hips and elbows and eyes. The male is a show dog, but his siblings referenced to be good hunters.

Truthfully a good breeder will breed dogs that match the entire breed standard description. A sporting dog that isn't capable of doing his job in the field would be a poor breeding program. Lab , Chessie or other wise, a Chessie will not thrive in a field trial environment. Although I have seen some that compete well. A Chessie instinctively does their job, my dogs only know basic commands. That's all they needed to get done what I need done.

There are traits that make Chessies not for most. They are intelligent they can make decisions in the field that may be the difference between recovering a downed bird or not, they are sensitive you break the dogs will by being to harsh you break the dog. If you need a dog that you need to control with a whistle and signals to impress you hunting partners. don't purchase a Chessie, you will ruin the dog.

People that say they are stubborn need to pay attention to the dog a bit more. I've herd trainers talk mad garbage about training Chessies with 2x4s referring to stubbornness. Personally anyone who knows the breed a Chessie should be trained by the owner. The person who hunts them needs to be the trainer. If you are not capable or don't have time don't purchase a Chessie

Dwight
Beretta06
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum