help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

help

Postby dans deisel dog » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:28 pm

If there is anyone out there that would like to help me with the training pf my 1 year old lab, that would be teriffic. INFO: 1yr old choc lab. Loves to retreive anything. Loves the water. Never hunted before... I live in oklahoma city and I hunt geese and duck on small ponds.. Q: How do I start the training of my dog the right way...
dans deisel dog
Newb

Postby steelshooter » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:43 pm

Dan got my first dog when she was 3 she could'nt even swim yet alone hunt, bought the book waterdog and started training her like she was a puppy, within a few months she was hunting and making simple retrieves
by the next season she was doing basic blind retrieves, after that she would do about anything i asked her to do, just follow the book step by step and don't skip around or you'll miss something. If you need anymore help just holler and i'll do what i can.
steelshooter
hunter

Postby trdobson » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:41 pm

Yes Waterdog is an excellent book as is training your retriever by James Lamb Free.Try a pro trainer or if you want to train the dog yourself some trainers will alow you to train with them on their facilities and even offer advice, but it will still cost you but it is well worth it. Good luck
happy hunting T R D
trdobson
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum