Weimereiners (or however they're spelled!)

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Weimereiners (or however they're spelled!)

Postby woody » Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:10 am

Are these dogs any good at retrieving?
woody
hunter

Postby dldavis3 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:36 pm

A friend of mine had one it only got to about a year and a half old before it got ran over. He seemed like a good dog he listened and would follow anywhere. But really get the kind of dog you want. You can train a fiest to retrieve if thats what you want. Not everyone has to have a lab in the water.
dldavis3
hunter

Postby kilndux » Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:58 pm

I unfortunately got the chance to hunt ducks over two of these weinreimers ( or however its spelled ) this year on a trip and hated every minute of it. Very slow dog in the water. As far as pheasants go, I still wasn't impressed. The two weimreimers were more concerned about each other while the lab was flushing birds. Labs rock.
I'd rather be hunting.
kilndux
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:19 pm

Weimeraner's are mainly for upland hunting, and the hunting as been about bred out of them, too many people breed dogs for the wrong reasons, they will hunt o.k. but they can be aggresive towards other dogs, not something you want in a blind.
Pro staff ~
www.MARSHMUTT.com
phillipstd
hunter

Go with a German Shorthair

Postby grantc2 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:11 pm

German Short Hairs Rock! However, I did recently see a Weimeraner's do well in a field trial for quail...

www.gundogforum.com
Be sure to visit www.gundogforum.com

The NEW Gun Dog Chat Site
grantc2
Newb

Postby Rat Creek » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:52 am

Weimers are not duck dogs. Short coat and not as durable as a lab. When it comes to swimming, labs are the best.

Weimers are mostly upland dogs, and while I can't comment on the breeding, it does seem that AKC has ruined them like they did the cocker spaniel. If you plan to hunt ducks with your dog, labs are the easiest choice. Labs also do well on pheasant, but they are flushers, so be ready.

As for pointers, I don't know how you beat a German Shrthair. I own one, so I am partial, by my dog hunts well, points everything, is fantastic family dog and very clean. She hardly sheds at all and most burs and mud fall off her short tight coat. She is laying on the chair next to me right now. She seems tired because she spent the night in a tent with my kids in the backyard last night.

What a life!
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Great Bay Ducker » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:12 am

Depending on where you hunt, you might do better with a German Wire Haired pointer. They tend to be able to withstand the cold much better(because of the difference in coats), But also, they show people haven't bred their hunting ability out of them as with the Weimeraners. If your in warm country, take a look at German Shorthairs. They are tremendous retievers and excellent hunting dogs. Check out breeders from NAVHDA. They are probably your best bet!
Great Bay Ducker
Newb

Postby duckjunky » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:44 pm

Get an English Springer Spaniel and you will not have any more questions about hunting dogs. Best there is and ever will be. DJ :salude:
As long as I got my waders on and in the marsh...who cares if I killed a duck today.
duckjunky
hunter

Dogs

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:49 am

We use a Brittany. He retrieves anything you shoot. He has also learned that when he sits still birds come. The only drawback is that he is a white dog (good for snow goose hunting bad for ducks). I bought him a neoprene vest and made him a jacket complete with a hood out of one of my old jackets. This keeps him warm and hidden. If the temp dips below 45 then I leave him at home, but if it is warmer be goes and loves every minute of it.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum