Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Advise

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Advise

Postby Hunt2eat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:57 pm

I need some advise... I have had labs in the past that turned out to be wonderful dogs. I have spent a ton of time training my dogs and believe you get out what you put in. Anyhow, i need a new hunting buddy and I have a couple kids now. Im tired of cleaning up the hair and repairing the chewed sprinkler lines in the puppy stages. A friend of mine has a Griff and he loves it. Does anyone have some advise on how these Griffons do hunting waterfowl, around the house ect? Any advise would be appreciated.
Hunt2eat
hunter

Re: Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Advise

Postby don novicki » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Don't know about a Griff but have you looked at a Deutsche Drahthaar? They are a VSD (versatile hunting dog) and from what I have read and heard can do it all. My Chessie died last year and I have been looking at a DD. There is a lot of nomenclature that you can look at at Verin Deutsche Drahthaar GNA website. Hope this is helpful..... :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:39 pm

Don't know much but from what I have seen and heard from many that own the breed (and similar) they are very driven. That's good...but not easier, than your Lab experience. They train different. How they train different and why they train different would be good-to-knows.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mailyard » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm getting a pup in February the breeder is a hunter and breeds hunting dogs. If your interested in his info shoot me a PM.
mailyard
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:53 am

Just got a Drathaar b4 christmas so she is 12 wks now. I have 2 labs so this is a little differant but interesting. I am told they are better than labs hunting. I have 2 little girls and so far so good other than lots of biting and chewing as teeth come in. Seems to be a little more playfully aggressive than my labs were. My 9 yr old lab is now a chew toy and wrestling partner! The mother dog seemed to have the temperment similar to a lab, good family dog with kids and around their house and a huntin killin machine that can turn it on n off when its time breeder told me. This pup has plenty of energy like most pups do and I can see her potential already. BIG webbed feet, long legs a good coat,smart and a great nose.Doesnt seem as hi strung as some bird dogs. Never had a dog that will pt and she is doing that too. Little head strong but not bad as long as i keep after her with training. Very happy so far just she is a curious pup so she is into everything which cant be bad for hunting instincts. just have to keep after her with picking everything up including Christmas balls!! Ate 1. Good luck
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:36 am

Years ago I had a Griffon and she was a fine hunting dog and had a good personality. She was good in both the water and in the field. If cleaning up hair is a concern, then Griffons do shed in similar fashion as labs. In particular the white overcoat hairs they have will cling to any black clothes you have. Griffon puppies like chewing up things as much as lab puppies, so they won't be any easier in that area. Regarding the quality of the breed, there are some fine Griffons out there, but the main problem is that the breeding stock is so narrow. This has resulted in inconsistent quality in the breed and it is much more of a hit-or-miss than some of the more established breeds, such as the draathaar (wirehair) or kurzhaar (short hair). In an effort to widen the base of the breed, some breeders have introduced vizsla and other versatile hunting breeds into the bloodline. Griffons are a very much a work in progress as a breed. If you know the breeder well and have confidence in several generations of his line, then you will probably get a fine dog.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby Hunt2eat » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks for the help. Sounds like I gotta lot more research to do on the breed and especially the breeders. One more thing. GO NINERS
Hunt2eat
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:09 pm

So far my griff has hunted dove in 105 degree heat(not recommended), but he did well. Sharptails and Huns in Montana, his first hunt he pointed a limit of sharptails, has retrieved 60+ ducks so far with weather from 15-60 degrees with no problem. Last week he retrieved 2 limits of geese while breaking ice out to 20 feet from the bank and yesterday I shot 2 pheasant and 3 quail off beautiful points. This is my first griff and I couldn't be happier, he has done well for a dog that just turned a year old last month.
Where are you located?
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby maltydog0226 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Hey everyone! This is my first post and this topic seemed appropriate. I have a WPG that's about 2.5 years old and he has been amazing. I got Hudson naively thinking that I could become a bird hunter overnight. It turn's out getting a Griff was one of the best mistakes I could have made. He has been very easy to train, I worked with a pro trainer in Maine and Hud more than impressed in upland hunting this past season. I'm really looking forward to using him for duck hunting this next year.
He has a really strong nose, good ground speed, loves swimming. He is really well behaved in the house, he gets a little wild inside sometimes but he's pretty good at switching gears. Really affectionate towards me, my fiance, and a few other people, but pretty friendly toward everyone. The shedding is nowhere close to as voluminous as a labs. Overall he has been awesome, and I can only see it getting better. I hope you get as much enjoyment from your Griff as I have!
maltydog0226
hunter

Postby Madmooner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:05 am

Mailyard- Hows your pup doing? Lets see some pics!

I'm going to pick up my new little girl next week.
Madmooner
hunter

Postby mailyard » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:10 am

I picked up a male from green mountain griffons around the first of march. I am using the Mueller book and method to train him. He is now just over 4 months and he is a bird hunting machine. I have been planting pigeons for him and working on obedience, just making sure to keep it fun.

mailyard
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:45 am

Jarbo03 wrote:So far my griff has hunted dove in 105 degree heat(not recommended), but he did well. Sharptails and Huns in Montana, his first hunt he pointed a limit of sharptails, has retrieved 60+ ducks so far with weather from 15-60 degrees with no problem. Last week he retrieved 2 limits of geese while breaking ice out to 20 feet from the bank and yesterday I shot 2 pheasant and 3 quail off beautiful points. This is my first griff and I couldn't be happier, he has done well for a dog that just turned a year old last month.
Where are you located?

I hunted with this dog. He has a wonderful temperment and minds great. Also, did a great job for a young dog. I was pretty impressed.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Jarbo03 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:39 am

TomKat wrote:
Jarbo03 wrote:So far my griff has hunted dove in 105 degree heat(not recommended), but he did well. Sharptails and Huns in Montana, his first hunt he pointed a limit of sharptails, has retrieved 60+ ducks so far with weather from 15-60 degrees with no problem. Last week he retrieved 2 limits of geese while breaking ice out to 20 feet from the bank and yesterday I shot 2 pheasant and 3 quail off beautiful points. This is my first griff and I couldn't be happier, he has done well for a dog that just turned a year old last month.
Where are you located?

I hunted with this dog. He has a wonderful temperment and minds great. Also, did a great job for a young dog. I was pretty impressed.

Thanks TK, we need to get the dogs together, they had a great time playing. Mailyard, what a great looking dog, where did he come from? madmooner, where are you getting your pup from also?
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby mojoab » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Lucky Dudes. Had to put mine down after 14 years. Best dog in the world. Nothing close under $1000.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
mojoab
hunter

Postby maltydog0226 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:31 am

Mailyard that's a good looking pup! When I got my Griff I looked at Green Mountain, I just didn't want to wait. If you need help training, i went with Grey's Outfitting. They're based out of Maine but to seminars and one-on-one classes in New Hampshire. I boarded my Griff with them las summer and it worked out really well.
Where are you in VT? I'm in Randolph.
maltydog0226
hunter

Postby Madmooner » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Jarbo,

I am getting a female from Hun Hill Kennels in Weiser, Idaho.

Frank Puccio is the guy that runs the kennel, great to talk with and is very serious about raising hunting dogs for hunting homes.

She's gonna be my first bird dog. I hope to learn a lot from her as my hunting skills can, and have, been called into question! I've joined the local NAVHDA chapter and have a few books so hopefully I won't screw her up to bad!
Madmooner
hunter

Postby Madmooner » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Great looking pup Mailyard!
Madmooner
hunter

Postby mutthunt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:35 am

Old post, I know, but I thought I'd ask. How's the griff doing? I'm thinking about getting one hence me asking. Thanks!

Joe
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers
mutthunt
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:32 pm

I have a lab and a griffon. The griffon is not much of a shedder, huge difference from our lab. I got the dog as a started dog from a breeder in Montana at 10 months. She's been a challenge to train because she is both stubborn and sensitive. Not soft but unique in her personality. Not specific to the breed but they are different than labs to train. I learned started most mean to people out west - almost house broken :lol3: Mine will do blind retrieves and is dead calm and quite in the blind while duck hunting. In the field she has an excellent nose. Sweetest, friendliest dog we have ever had. We also have a GSP and if we got a new dog tomorrow it would be a griffon. As with any new dog find the best breeding you can find and or afford.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby band_blaster » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:34 pm

We got our first GWP and he is about 4 months and man he is awesome!! he is very hard headed at times but when im about to give up for the day he does some awesome retrieves. I honestly will not go with another breed unless i get into hunting with a hound.Hahaha Please post up pics if you get one!!! also check out the wirehair/drathaar movement thread
(Stole this idea fromBamaHoyt)Thanks guy!
Mottleds-
Mallards/Hyrbrids-2
Blue wings-
Green wings-
Wood Ducks-
Whistlers-
Hooded Mergansers-
Ring Necks-
Pintails-2
Shovelers-
band_blaster
hunter