skunk

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

skunk

Postby duckaholic_16p » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:45 pm

What have you guys found about getting the smell of a skunk out of a dogs hair. My choco. lab met his first skunk..I tried the tomato soup and didnt get far.. The vet said use a womens douche but im having a hard time going and buyin that.. thanks for any help
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby Franchi » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:11 am

I would have a hard time buying that as well...send your old lady after one....LOL. They must have some power to take skunk away....LOL

:toofunny:
Get Down ! Get Down ! Here they come.
Franchi
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby phillipstd » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:50 pm

I thought the tomatoe thing worked good, dusche??? your dog's gonna smell like a country flower
phillipstd
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:59 pm

dude just let your dog stink, dont douche your hunting partner!!!

:toofunny:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

GOOD LUCK THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME-

Postby CHOCLATE » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:22 am

A SKUNK YOU RUN OVER IS AN AIR FRESHNER COMPARED TO A FRESH SPRAY- MY CHOCLATE LAB WAS SPRAYED LAST WEEK- DURING WINTER I HAVE A ROOM IN THE HOUSE HE STAYS IN BROUGHT HIM IN FROM HIS OUTSIDE KENNEL AND SMELT SOMETHING BUT COULD NOT FIGURE IT OUT- WELL AFTER ABOUT 5 MINS IT GOT UNBEARABLE- BENT OVER TO SMELL THE DOG AND WENT OUTSIDE AND PROCEEDED TO PUCK!! ALL THE INFO SAID -BAKING SODA, PEROXIDE, SHAMPOO

BUT AFTER TALKING TO VET THIS WOULD DIE HIS COAT RED-SO USED PLENTY OF TOMATO JUICE AND SHAMPOO

RESULT- BETTER BUT STILL SKUNK SMELL AFTER A WEEK
I LIVE ON THE LAKE SO HE GETS PLENTY OF TRIPS IN THE WATER WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK-

SO THE ONLY CURE I COME UP WITH IS TIME!
GOOD LUCK
CHOCLATE
Newb

Postby duckdog » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:59 am

my yellow lab has been sprayed twice. u think hes getting to like the damn things. but try running your dog through heavy slough muck get him coming out so hes just covered in it i did this both times with mine and it seemed to take care of it almost immediatley. read an article in outdoor life once if you hold your dog over burning smolderin leaves something in the smoke is supposed to nutralize the smell lol holding a dog over a burning pile of leaves. i know my lab wouldnt go for it. my vet has a skunk shampoo but dont know how well it works lots of luck
duckdog
hunter

Postby Randy Johnson » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:25 pm

I don't have much expierence with skunks here in Alaska but I have seen this formula in magazines and on The Shooting Sportsman and Upland Joural BBS.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
a squirt of liquid dish soap

Sponge on and let soak for a few minutes and then rinse off.

I also saw this tested on the Myth Busters on TV and it was rated the best for removing the smell.
Randy Johnson
hunter

Postby brdprey » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:52 am

Randy Johnson wrote:I don't have much expierence with skunks here in Alaska but I have seen this formula in magazines and on The Shooting Sportsman and Upland Joural BBS.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
a squirt of liquid dish soap

Sponge on and let soak for a few minutes and then rinse off.

I also saw this tested on the Myth Busters on TV and it was rated the best for removing the smell.

wont this formula turn a black or brown lab yellow or white.......ive seen my wifes hair after she peroxided it......... :laughing:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Skunk

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:02 am

How are your dogs getting skunked? We have lots of them around here but I don't let my dog out at night by himself. He is supervised on any bathroom breaks after dark and not allowed to wander farther than I can see. I let him wander the yard in daylight only. I have a neighbor that has a female german shepard. She got sprayed and scratched on the back door. He let he in and she ran right to the living room and started rolling on the carpet before he could catch her once he got a whiff of the smell. He had to rip up the carpet over that one. :toofunny:
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:08 pm

Gundogsupply has some for 9.99 dont know if it works or not. Has a 30 day guarantee on it just send it back if it dont work.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/ProdDtl.asp?iProdID=10680&iAID=1001

Petsmart if you have one of these near you or you can order online for 8.99.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032893&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441781976&bmUID=1102011004000
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby birdgunner04 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:18 pm

There are commercial products that work Check out Fosters &Smith
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Skunk

Postby Dep666 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:28 am

Apple cider vinegar.....Mix it with water.....Works on people too...I know ...LOL It also saves you the embarassment of buying the Douche........
Dep666
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:28 pm

I just saw a tv show sunday night called myth busters. They tried several methods to get rid of skunk smell and the one that worked best (even over a commerical formula) was a mixture of baking soda, hydrogon peroxide and dish soap
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:27 pm

brdprey wrote:wont this formula turn a black or brown lab yellow or white.......ive seen my wifes hair after she peroxided it......... :laughing:

Peroxide is what you are thinking of--a different chem base.

Hydrogen Peroxide is used on cuts and rashes for humans.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Hunting Dog Forum