Home made pigeon trap

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Home made pigeon trap

Postby flightstopper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Put this together today and figured I'd post up. May have been done before but I've never seen peg board hooks used for the door. They swing in and don't swing backwards on their own so there is nothing for the birds to step over. Already caught a couple today.

Image
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
User avatar
flightstopper
hunter
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx


Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby bamaflinger » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Huh, that's pretty cool. Might have to try that one out.
ROLL TIDE!!
User avatar
bamaflinger
hunter
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby Hairy Dawg » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Dang, I like that design. I tried to make one before that didn't work out too well, so I stuck with catching them on the roost. The trap door was the issue with the trap I made in the past. I've got a crate I made, that's almost identical to the trap you've got, and it wouldn't take much to modify the door like you've got yours. I may have to give trapping another try.

Thanks for the pics. :thumbsup:
User avatar
Hairy Dawg
hunter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:09 pm

Home made pigeon trap

Postby flightstopper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Glad it could help somebody. You have to cut out a few squares to allow the pegs to swing in but they will not swing open. I can add more pics if need be
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
User avatar
flightstopper
hunter
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Stopper,
What keeps your pivoting rods from swinging to either side allowing pigeons to escape? I usually have some opened squares at the bottom of the opening for the rods to swing back down into, inline, so they won't move to the side and/or outward. I've also used a thin strip of wood wired to the cage with short nails through the strip every 1/2" to keep the rods inline when the rods close as the pigeons go in. You may have a better way? Can't quite tell from the pic. Always looking for improvements. Looks good! Gonna put a handle & access door on the top?

If this is your first effort at trapping pigeons, you will probably want to put a piece of cardboard in the bottom. They are 'crapping machines' and your car/truck will get a load in it.
User avatar
tenfingergrip
hunter
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby UK Springer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:24 pm

Looks great! I'm sure it'll work.
UK Springer
hunter
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:35 am

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby flightstopper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:22 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:Stopper,
What keeps your pivoting rods from swinging to either side allowing pigeons to escape? I usually have some opened squares at the bottom of the opening for the rods to swing back down into, inline, so they won't move to the side and/or outward. I've also used a thin strip of wood wired to the cage with short nails through the strip every 1/2" to keep the rods inline when the rods close as the pigeons go in. You may have a better way? Can't quite tell from the pic. Always looking for improvements. Looks good! Gonna put a handle & access door on the top?

If this is your first effort at trapping pigeons, you will probably want to put a piece of cardboard in the bottom. They are 'crapping machines' and your car/truck will get a load in it.


2nd attempt but first successful attempt :lol3: It's hard to explain exactly but you hang the peg board hooks on the outside of the wire. This way they can swing in but if they try to go back out the upper part pushes against the wire. I will add pics, between pictures and that description I hope it's clear enough. I double layered the wire mesh on the front to add more rigidity to give the rods more to push against. Access door and handle are to come wanted to see success before I went all out.
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
User avatar
flightstopper
hunter
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx

Home made pigeon trap

Postby flightstopper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Image

Image

Image
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
User avatar
flightstopper
hunter
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby olclamman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:01 pm

the pigeon bars should be closer together - the part that hooks on to the straight bar should touch each other
or the birds will push them apart do a search for pigeons stuff and look at the doors they sell
oc

seeya in the pines
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: toms river

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Good innovation! Still interested if the rods hanging down will move enough, side to side, to allow pigeon to escape. That was my biggest problem when I made my first trap over 35 years ago. I now use the steel from politcal signs, bending the steel rods in a tight horseshoe shape, then bending the closed end of the horseshoe to encircle a straight piece of steel that serves as support for the swinging of about 4 of those double rods hanging down. ( So when the pigeon enters two or 4 or six rods swing in) I use washers between to make the spacing proper. These drop back down into the nails or wire that is sticking out into the trap so the exit is blocked.

I like the fact that you don't have to do any bending of the rods, just want to make sure they have a way to prohibit the swinging of the rods to the side. Think I'll try your idea for my next trap. I've sold over 20 of these things over the years.
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
tenfingergrip
hunter
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby flightstopper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks guys, I'm definitely open to other options. I'm sure some birds will escape but I'll keep trying and see how it goes. I'll update this thread in another week or so to see how it works. :beer:
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
User avatar
flightstopper
hunter
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 am

Mey, I like dat!!! :yes:
You live near a bunch of ag. fields Flightstopper? I always just go catch pigeons under the bridges at night with a net. My buddy mhn just got a new little bitch recently, gonna be going catch some pigeons soon...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 54649
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 am

Given time, some pigeons can be surprisingly clever about flipping the bobs up and slipping out, and when one sees another do it, it's "monkey see...", and you may lose everything you had. (Says a guy who had nearly an entire loft figure it out before he removed everything they could stand on to work its bobs.) By the same token, there's no better pigeon bait than leaving a Judas bird inside the trap to attract others and make them jealous of its access to the feed, but once he's eaten, ol' Judas has nothing else to do but work on escape. Which may well do before others see him.

So if I were building a trap, I'd use an open-winged door, hinged at the top but wider than the main opening, so it only swings in as the birds try to shoulder through the wings. And I'd want at least two to a side, as shown here:
Image
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 12826
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 am

olclamman wrote:the pigeon bars should be closer together - the part that hooks on to the straight bar should touch each other
or the birds will push them apart do a search for pigeons stuff and look at the doors they sell
oc

seeya in the pines


My thought too....
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
User avatar
i_willie12
hunter
 
Posts: 3991
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Marshall MO

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:24 am

Rick Hall wrote:Given time, some pigeons can be surprisingly clever about flipping the bobs up and slipping out, and when one sees another do it, it's "monkey see...", and you may lose everything you had. (Says a guy who had nearly an entire loft figure it out before he removed everything they could stand on to work its bobs.) By the same token, there's no better pigeon bait than leaving a Judas bird inside the trap to attract others and make them jealous of its access to the feed, but once he's eaten, ol' Judas has nothing else to do but work on escape. Which may well do before others see him.

So if I were building a trap, I'd use an open-winged door, hinged at the top but wider than the main opening, so it only swings in as the birds try to shoulder through the wings. And I'd want at least two to a side, as shown here:
Image

:thumbsup: Mey, I like dat even better!!!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 54649
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Home made pigeon trap

Postby flightstopper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:35 pm

I was playing with it more last night and even though it does work it does need improvement. I was going for simple parts that can be picked up at hardware store and have it so they don't have to step over anything on the way in. The step over at the bottom may not be detrimental to the pigeon but I've read a couple places they say it is a turn off. I've got some more ideas I will play with when I get back home next week to play off this same design.

Rick still waiting for your picture to load, a little slow out here in the sticks. May end up with a trap version 2.5 by the time I'm done.
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
User avatar
flightstopper
hunter
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx

Home made pigeon trap

Postby flightstopper » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Looks like the pegs are getting tossed I like that Rick. Never seen that design. More of a pigeon Alcatraz type trap yet simple.
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
User avatar
flightstopper
hunter
 
Posts: 3596
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:28 pm
Location: Pflugerville, Tx

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby 11-87 Va » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Can you buy those traps Rick or did you make that one? I can't read the writing in the wire.
I am second
11-87 Va
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:40 am
Location: Western Virginia

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby Duckdon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:38 pm

lets see it when you have it full of pigeons.
Thanks Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
User avatar
Duckdon
hunter
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 am
Location: Chugiak, Alaska

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:41 pm

Here's a link to what appears the same type trap, http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/NWSBT00/NWS53490.html, but I'd think you could make three or four for about the same money.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 12826
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Home made pigeon trap

Postby 11-87 Va » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Here's a link to what appears the same type trap, http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/NWSBT00/NWS53490.html, but I'd think you could make three or four for about the same money.


Thank you sir.
I am second
11-87 Va
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:40 am
Location: Western Virginia


Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DCronk, Duckdon and 10 guests