She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby Phild » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Well not much new other than trying to keep Gauge and me warm. -39C or -38F today and -44C or -50.8F withthe wind chill. Can't even keep my training birds thawed out LOL

later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Any updates?
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Phild » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:05 am

Hey everyone, not too much new in the world of Gauge. The winter in Northern, Alberta has been pretty crappy this year lots of snow and ice and cold temps. We have been working inside on OB some FF. We have been doing some force to pile work and doign some bird work off and on just to keep her into liking them. Feb 1st was her birthday, just a year old and today she was booked in to be spayed. I am sure all goes well and the debate on when to spay or not was talked over with my trainer and his vet, my breeder and her vet as well as my vet LOL so we decided that just after a year old or after her first heat cycle. I do have a few pic of playing around I should get up and posted.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:33 am

Well the past couple of days have been very nice here and Gauge and I got out with a thrower to do some long retrieves. We have not been out much due to ice and cold weather even parking lots are just way to dangerous all we have been doing is working on OD in the shop which she is already pretty good on.

Yesterday however I don't know if this is a problem or not but man was she chomping at the bit to retrieve, we were using dead bucks and blank 12 gauge rounds. I had my thrower out about 150 yards on an incline so she had a good line of sight with some light cover for most of the first 100 yards between her and the mark. I would blow the duck call, fire a shot and then the thrower would throw and then she would be sent. The first couple of marks went fine and she went out and did a little hunting 30 secs or so and came back, everything is great.

Here is what I think may be a little problem by the third mark she was so stoked when she heard me calling, she knew that something was going to happen you could see her get into "the squat" I call it you know when they are ready to bust loose. Then add the gun fire and man she was scanning and searching all over the sky line like mad. Usually she is a bit more focused and has very little head swing but for the last 4 marks we did I noticed that she was ampped and was looking where ever she could to see anything, something fall from the sky. Her marking on 2 of the last 4 didn't seem to be as accurate at least to me, she had to hunt for one mark up to 2 or 3 mins and I had to whistle sit her to get her to focus and then cast her with an over she was so far out (20 yards off).

Should I be concerned by this enthusiasm and start working on moving in closer and having her sit and steady and focus more? I am thinking yes but opinions would be great. She did pin three of the 6 marks by the way with almost bee line accuracy, which amazed my brother who was throwing for me.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Might be time to start working in a cue like "good" or "right there" when she's looking where you want.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 am

Phil,
I train my dogs to "hunt dead", with the bumpers hidden in the cover at intervals, with a stacatto whistle (sounds kinda like a feeding chuckle with a whistle). That way, when on a blind (or a difficult mark for that matter), when they are near the fall in heavy cover, I can give them an assist when they are in the vacinity. Pretty easy to condition and helpful in many hunting situations.

In training, with dog at heel and nearing the planted bumper I give a sit whistle, a "dead bird" command, a "ok hunt 'im up" with your line hand down, with the stacatto whistle slowing down when she gets near the 'bird', then a quick "come in (tweet-tweet)whistle" when she picks it up. Doesn't take pup long to get the hang of it. Gradually put more distance between the sit and the hidden bumper. Later, put more distance between you & dog and the hidden bumper (a blind) and using a remote sit, cast and the "hunt dead/dead bird" whistle. Just another idea you may or may not want to try. I find it useful.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks for the info guys I will be workign on this as well.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby razorback » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Are you putting your bird boy/thrower in white? Make sure he is visible and and pup is focused on the BB before he tosses it.
razorback
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:24 am

razorback wrote:Are you putting your bird boy/thrower in white? Make sure he is visible and and pup is focused on the BB before he tosses it.

That was one mistake.....I am sad to say I made. That I have corrected since and moving the gun out to the bird boy as well.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Well it had been awhile but things are warming up in Grande Prairie, Alberta even looks like spring is peaking thru in places. Yesterday Gauge and I went out and did a few simple marks with a Teal I had kept from last season and the shot gun. Due to working alone (damn I need to get a thrower) she broke on the first shot of the day. Excitement I guess, after a correction she was good for the other marks but it is something we need to work on.

Today after reading an article on how water fowler's don't work on drag lines until it may be too late I decided to take Gauge out and do a few. She has never done this drill before so I guess the article was correct maybe it is overlooked and we only work on retrieves. So following the instructions I read I put Gauge away and did a simple 20 yard drag, got her out of the truck walked and heeled her up to the starting point, sat her and then gave the command "dead bird hunt em' up". Yeah 20 yards took all of 10 seconds. I then extended out to 60 again she loved "the game" so I made it a bit harder and did one out to 100, this one was over snow as well as grass and in some decent cover it took her a few mins but she came back with the bird. Then we moved on to 4 simple short marks in the snow over different types of ground, all in all we had a fun successful day and learned something new.

Gauge on a simple mark

Gauge with the kids

I love how she is such a great all round dog.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Phild wrote:
Today after reading an article on how water fowler's don't work on drag lines until it may be too late I decided to take Gauge out and do a few. She has never done this drill before so I guess the article was correct maybe it is overlooked and we only work on retrieves. So following the instructions I read I put Gauge away and did a simple 20 yard drag, got her out of the truck walked and heeled her up to the starting point, sat her and then gave the command "dead bird hunt em' up". Yeah 20 yards took all of 10 seconds. I then extended out to 60 again she loved "the game" so I made it a bit harder and did one out to 100, this one was over snow as well as grass and in some decent cover it took her a few mins but she came back with the bird.
Phil

Phil .... This is the trail portion that NAHRA tests in Hunter, Intermediate and Senior tests. (Edmonton & Calgary)
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Oh boy Sue, Edmonton and Calgary and kinda close LOL. :biggrin:

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 am

Well I have heard of people saying not to use the word "OKAY" for a break command as many people say it often and it can be a very common word in the blind. As well as not naming your dog a commom name that may get confused with hunting terms that sound alike.

I have to laugh becasue yesterday I had a situation where poor Gauge got confused and miscommunicated a word. We were at work, I work in a large oil field shop and she often comes and walks with me when I am doing things. I took a call on my cell phone and during the conversation I said "oh crap" I never thought nothing of it and went to my office, well no Gauge. I thought that little bugger wandered off and is getting into something so instead of calling her back with a "here" I decided to catch her in the act and give her crap.

I looked in four different offices to see if she was into anything and no Gauge, so I walked back to the shop and there she was SITTING like a good girl in the middle of the shop. Took me a second to think why she would have been sitting becasue I wasn't doing a heel, sit drill. Then I clued in LMAO crap and SIT are pretty darn close ot the same guess my kids are not the only ones I need to stop swearing around.

Oh training up date, working on force to pile, 80 yards out with a back command alternating on left and right hand backs and a remote sit 15 yards before she gets to me.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 am

Well working on Force To Pile, seems to be going well we are at the stage of now putting out diversion piles 20 yards off to the sides of the back pile. Right now due to the amount of snow still on the ground I am working in my work place parkign lot and have the back pile out to about 70 yards. Stop to pile is fine with a second back cast to the pile, both left and right hand casts, stopping coming in from the back pile is fine as well (not stopping on a dime but stopping I think it is due to the speed she is moving)

I am running 10 bumpers in the back pile at a time and out of the ten when we are down to the last two or three I can see her attention move to either of the two side piles and have to make sure I get her focused on the back pile before sending her. I am sure this is due to the fact that the side piles have more bumpers that the back pile does and is more interesting. She did start to go one of the side piles but with a simple "no, here" she came back and then I heeled her and lined her up waited a good time for her to hunker down and stare out to the back pile before sending her. I am sure it will continue until we get thru the deversion side piles a few times.

We have done some puppy work on casting right and left overs to kennel and to bumpers so I am hoping once we are 100% on the back pile with diversion piles the "back, sit, over" should go well.

Quick question when I run my first drill for a right over, should I run her a few times to the back pile with a stop at the T intersection and continue her back 2 or 3 times and on the next run sit her at the T and then cast her over? I am pretty sure this is what I should do but just want to check.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby razorback » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Phild wrote:
Quick question when I run my first drill for a right over, should I run her a few times to the back pile with a stop at the T intersection and continue her back 2 or 3 times and on the next run sit her at the T and then cast her over? I am pretty sure this is what I should do but just want to check.

Thanks
Phil

The timing of your overs versus your backs is less important than the ratio. Make sure you are doing plenty of sends to the back pile to keep up her momentum.
razorback
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:07 am

Well I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed, helped and read my thread on Gauge. Yesterday marked one year since I started this journal entry, information seeking, problem solving and growing up with Gauge thread. We have really learned a lot and want to thank everyone.

Quick update on the T work, 8 inches of fresh snow on April 4th and 5th have shut down all fields so it is back inside the shop at work for OB work, walking fetch and fetch no fetch drills. I must say she is getting pretty good I dropped a roll of scotch tape down the stairs this morning while on the phone so she went to investigate the sound so I told her "fetch it up" "here" and she delivered lol. I wonder if that could be considered dog exploitation?

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:15 am

Can't exploit the good ones, they're always happy to get work.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 am

Haven't been adding pics and seeing that the master of a picture for every situation commented I better put some up.

Two months ago February ...no snow, waiting for bird boy to get into position.

Waiting to play

So much for clear fields April 4th, 2013

Front yard you can still see the 5 foot snow bank with built in fort the kids made April 4th, 2013

Gauge 14 months, 55lbs

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:57 pm

The things we do with our dogs on an "off training day"
Phild
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:42 am

Crazy dog! LOL!!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:32 pm

We don't goof off all the time lol. This is from today Gauge running a 100 yard FTP drill. I am sure there are some of you that will have something to say about something in the video, I think she was doing pretty good.
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:42 am

Well Gauge has a new toy on the way to get ready for her first hunt test in July. Just ordered a zinger winger mini and dogtra RR delux electronics. Gotta get those nice high arcs on the toss the kids were just not cutting it.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Man I am so glad to be back in the swing of things and working with Gauge every night again. We have been going pretty steady on the FTP drills as well as the wagon wheel drills. I am not sure if this was a good thing to do but for a break in just back piles we did a few different things tonight it went as follows, let me know if this was wrong to jump around or incorrect in any way.

We did some heeling and sitting on the walk to the field.
First we worked on marks, I did six marks total with a duck all about 70 to 80 yards the first three were shorter and in pretty easy open areas the next three were longer and over a little rise and into some light cover of snow and grass. My wife got tired of throwing and we even switched for the last two and I was very surprised that Gauge went back to my wife and heeled and held the bird.

Second (my help was gone) we worked on a 4 spoke wagon wheel in both counter and clockwise directions. I then added 4 more spokes to make it and 8 spoke and did counter and clockwise again with the final 8 being pick up and did them random. I can really see when she is focused on the bumper I am lining her too and if she is off she is responding well to the "no" and when she looks at the proper bumper the "good" keeps her focus on it.

Third I did a 4 bumper pile and did FTP at 125 yards. She has run 100 yard plies before but this was the longest yet. I sat her, walked out and just tossed up each bumper about 10 feet or so and walked back in. Lined her up and when she was looking in the direction you could tell she was looking out there pretty hard I sent her. She had a slight swerve on at about 50 yards for a tiny patch of snow but quickly picked her head up and kept motoring out there. The second, third and fourth she pinned straight to the pile. On the fourth return there was another dog off to the left that she turned towards, dropped the bumper but with a here, fetch it up she came in...I was pretty happy that she didn't just go investigate. I got the first three back commands on video but for some reason it cut short.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 pm

If she's wearing an e-collar in that last video, it's too loose and too low on her neck.
Also, you need to send from a front finish remote sit AT LEAST as often as you send from your side.

And it doesn't look like you have started forcing yet. Maybe that's because you just started lining to the pile.
Just because she is running to the pile, doesn't mean that you don't need to force.
You NEED to force. It's force-to-pile. Not forget-the-pressure.

And I wouldn't be using the hand as a cue yet. When the pressure starts to build up, (and it will) that hand is going to become a cue to start bugging. Wait until you are done with TT, and well into pattern blinds before you start dropping the hand before sending.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Are you following TRT?
copterdoc
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum