She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby Phild » Wed May 29, 2013 9:41 pm

I can do that we are not on a time frame we are on a correct frame lol.

Thanks Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:12 am

Well I ran Gauge afew more times on the double T and she continued to do well I have not done discipline casting yet that is next. What I did do was move out to a new field last night with about 8 inch tall grass set the double T up brought her out and identified the back pile for her and ran it. I was happy with how well she did and how she took her casts and think I am ready to move to swim by after discipline casting.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:38 pm

disciplined cast?

do you mean have her pick up a bumper then on the way back stop her and cast her to different piles before haveing her come in with the orignial bumper?
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:disciplined cast?

do you mean have her pick up a bumper then on the way back stop her and cast her to different piles before haveing her come in with the orignial bumper?

Roger that :thumbsup:
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:03 pm

Well today is one of the big days today I turned 40 my wife made a great cake for me and I just wanted to share it with you all seeing as it is tied into me and the whole "life with Gauge' thread

Everything is edible right down to the chocolate rocks, ducks and Gauge herself all out of modeling chocolate. Tres Cool!

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 pm

And some videos

Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:49 pm

Phild
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:46 am

Your wife seems like she's got some talent!
That rug really tied the room together...
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:29 am

Phild wrote:Well today is one of the big days today I turned 40 my wife made a great cake for me and I just wanted to share it with you all seeing as it is tied into me and the whole "life with Gauge' thread

Everything is edible right down to the chocolate rocks, ducks and Gauge herself all out of modeling chocolate. Tres Cool!

Thanks
Phil

You ate your DOG!
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:44 am

That gal's a keeper.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:15 am

krazybronco2 wrote:
Phild wrote:Well today is one of the big days today I turned 40 my wife made a great cake for me and I just wanted to share it with you all seeing as it is tied into me and the whole "life with Gauge' thread

Thanks
Phil

You ate your DOG!

Nope I saved her LOL going to varnish her and two of the ducks for my office. Thanks Rick I know I can't see me ever gettign another dog. :lol3:
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Well we have been working on marks the last while trying to get ready for our first hunt test. Using lots of frozen ducks and the dokken. Just a few videos of how we are doing. This one it is a bit longer that we normally run and also the cover is very short almost non existent. We usually run pretty heavy cover but we were just at the uncles and I took the opportunity for a few marks.

Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:07 pm

Another one about 100 yards on the other side

Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Our attempt at a shorter 50 yard double
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Last but not least and my favorite for sure, Liam 5 wanted a turn running Gauge, in his defense there was a dead duck off to that side of that shed or else I think she would have listened and heeled for him better.
Phild
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:21 am

You've done a great job with Gauge! Also Liam! Looks like you've got a built in 'bird boy' for the next 10 years! He'll be wanting his own lab in about 3 years!
I assume you are gonna run Senior?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 am

tenfingergrip wrote:You've done a great job with Gauge! Also Liam! Looks like you've got a built in 'bird boy' for the next 10 years! He'll be wanting his own lab in about 3 years!
I assume you are gonna run Senior?

Ha good one Tenfinger, no I entered into Jr. slow and steady wins the race, I am nervous as heck. This week is training thru decoys, holding blinds and the CD with all the background hunt test noise and I hope another dog.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 am

Phild,

All the videos I've seen are of flat throws. Don't forget to throw angle backs, down the shores, down treelines, etc. :thumbsup:

Doing good!
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:14 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:Phild,

All the videos I've seen are of flat throws. Don't forget to throw angle backs, down the shores, down treelines, etc. :thumbsup:

Doing good!

Absolutely these are good things to train for, but remember this is a Junior stake that Phil & Gauge are entering. Not sure what AKC JH tests are like, but CKC judges generally remember that these are dogs (and handlers) that are usually new to the HT game and set JH tests accordingly.

If Phil keeps up his training he and Gauge will be headed to Senior tests in the not too distant future! :thumbsup:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:05 am

only thing i saw in one video was where gauge was at heel and the bird hit the ground and you picked it up. i watched at work so didnt have sound so not sure what you were saying and did notice that it was pretty wet outside and the dokkons get very slick with water and dog slobber. but just remember at the test she has to deliver to hand so if for some reason she drops it make sure she picks it back up.

and dude she is fast Belle is a no where near that fast
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:16 am

Dakota Creek wrote:

Doing good!

Absolutely these are good things to train for, but remember this is a Junior stake that Phil & Gauge are entering. Not sure what AKC JH tests are like, but CKC judges generally remember that these are dogs (and handlers) that are usually new to the HT game and set JH tests accordingly.

If Phil keeps up his training he and Gauge will be headed to Senior tests in the not too distant future! :thumbsup:

I understand, but angled throws are a basic concept, especially as a single on light cover. Usually, Junior throws are flat or very slightly AB.

Train for Master, test for Junior.....
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:29 am

krazybronco2 wrote:only thing i saw in one video was where gauge was at heel and the bird hit the ground and you picked it up. i watched at work so didnt have sound so not sure what you were saying and did notice that it was pretty wet outside and the dokkons get very slick with water and dog slobber. but just remember at the test she has to deliver to hand so if for some reason she drops it make sure she picks it back up.

I did say drop and it slipped out of my hand, if she does dorp it repositioning she picks the bird back up without commanding. She is pretty fast but sometimes that is a pain in the ass becasue she runs so hard she will drop the bird.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 am

CatSquirrel wrote:
Dakota Creek wrote:

Doing good!

I understand, but angled throws are a basic concept, especially as a single on light cover. Usually, Junior throws are flat or very slightly AB.

Train for Master, test for Junior.....

I do throw angle backs, there might not be a lot of angle on these throws but I do throw them that way. As well on the water I throw up the shore line. I have not done down tree lines yet never even thought of it to tell the truth thanks.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:56 am

Phild wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:only thing i saw in one video was where gauge was at heel and the bird hit the ground and you picked it up. i watched at work so didnt have sound so not sure what you were saying and did notice that it was pretty wet outside and the dokkons get very slick with water and dog slobber. but just remember at the test she has to deliver to hand so if for some reason she drops it make sure she picks it back up.

I did say drop and it slipped out of my hand, if she does dorp it repositioning she picks the bird back up without commanding. She is pretty fast but sometimes that is a pain in the ass becasue she runs so hard she will drop the bird.

Later
Phil

i figured you did since you did send her off the be FF and im sure she will be fine at the hunt test only because they use ducks and at the end of one of the videos she was way more interested in the duck than the dokkon and if she is anything like my dog she gets a little sticky with a fresh duck.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:01 pm

She is looking great keep up the hard work. She will pass that test with flyinng colors I am sure. :thumbsup:
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum