She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:30 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:
Dakota Creek wrote:
CatSquirrel wrote:Phild,

All the videos I've seen are of flat throws. Don't forget to throw angle backs, down the shores, down treelines, etc. :thumbsup:

Doing good!

Absolutely these are good things to train for, but remember this is a Junior stake that Phil & Gauge are entering. Not sure what AKC JH tests are like, but CKC judges generally remember that these are dogs (and handlers) that are usually new to the HT game and set JH tests accordingly.

If Phil keeps up his training he and Gauge will be headed to Senior tests in the not too distant future! :thumbsup:

I understand, but angled throws are a basic concept, especially as a single on light cover. Usually, Junior throws are flat or very slightly AB.

Train for Master, test for Junior.....

Totally agree! As this is Phil's first experience with "line time" I just didn't want him to think he had missed a key training concept for running a JH event!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:14 pm

LOL thanks Sue but I am sure I have missed somthing along the way. I am getting excited though and it looks like we are back to training in the rain for another week.

Thanks for all the input and nice words.
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Phild wrote:it looks like we are back to training in the rain for another week.

You are DEFINITELY not alone with that!!! :smile:
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:
Phild wrote:it looks like we are back to training in the rain for another week.

You are DEFINITELY not alone with that!!! :smile:

i would rather train in the rain than in the heat and humidity we are haveing right now even 7:30 tonight it was 83 and felt like 88 with 68% humidity. makes it tough when you are trying to run drills and get something accomplished.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 am

Yeah we can't win for misquotes either, you can't sit your dog long enough to shoot of a mark for her they are that bad, and frigging huge. We got 2 marks in last night and it was too much for both of us. I had to walk towards her I couldn't stand still at the lone long enough for her to get back.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:32 am

Phild wrote:Yeah we can't win for misquotes either, you can't sit your dog long enough to shoot of a mark for her they are that bad, and frigging huge. We got 2 marks in last night and it was too much for both of us. I had to walk towards her I couldn't stand still at the lone long enough for her to get back.

Later
Phil

And they grow mosquitos BIG out there!!! At prime time they are about the size of 747's!!! :biggrin:
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:31 am

Well this weekend is the big one, our first hunt test. We run 3 days I have the running order, not that I know what is good or not but I am happy with 2 of the 3. Saturday I run 3rd, Sunday 14th and Monday 2nd. I think the 2nd and 3rd are pretty good there will not be too much scent in the area but 14 has me worried a bit. I guess she will just have to hunt a bit more if her marking is off. I have been doing up to 5 birds in the same area for this reason so hope she is use to it.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:38 am

Good luck Phil, I am sure she will go 3 for 3.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:22 pm

Great job Phil...you'll do fine!
That rug really tied the room together...
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Labber » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Fingers crossed for Phil & Gauge!
Labber
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:05 pm

you and gauge will do fine. doesnt matter what order you run in.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:29 pm

CONGRATULATIONS to Phil & Gauge as they went 3 for 3 this weekend and got their JH title!!!!
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Labber » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:33 am

Phil,
Pretty exceptional for a first time handler, training his own dog to go 3 for 3 their first time out.
Obviously your efforts to:
1) find a good breeding
2) become a student of the sport of retriever training
3) commit your time and $$$
have paid off.
You and Gauge are off to a great start, that will pay dividends in the duck blind.
Congrats!
Labber
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:28 am

Congrats, Phil, to you and Gauge! Nice work! Piece of cake, huh? Even that nervous handler couldn't mess up a precision animal like Gauge! Eh? :wink: I assume you've got one more qualifying to get her title? You need to go ahead and sign up for the SENIOR, as well as Junior, at the same test and start getting that out of the way on the road to the Master!

Well done, and I would consider it a treat to share a blind with Gauge and you!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:29 pm

Aha! Was just informed that your CKC qualification for JH is 3 passes, so now time to step up your Junior Hunter to the Senior level!! Proud of you two!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks everyone I really had a blast and Gauge was awesome she was for sure the strong part of the team lol. I have limited access to the internet for the next few weeks on vacation but will have pics and video in a few weeks. Here is a quick run down of how things went:

Day 1 Land
first mark was 35 yards in heavy cover, I was shaking so bad that I dropped her lead on the line and she sat until I let her go lol, she saved me for sure. Second Mark 55 yards in heavy cover I was a bit better Gauge was awesome.

Day1 Water
40 yard mark off the bank 15 feet from shore, she cheated the bank but that does no count against her, second mark 65 yards angled out, perfect work by gauge.

Day 2 Land
Introduced, duck calling, decoys and a gun 50 and 65 yard marks on tree lines heavy cover, this time I only had the lead tangle up around her leg and she drug it out 15 yards before it fell off lol, I sat her at the line after I had to tell her to fetch up the duck she dropped and walked out to get the lead, I held it up and said...hmm I forgot this lol. went in took the duck and did the second land mark.

Day 2 water
55 yard straight out mark, second mark was 70 yards up on the bank and back in......I think Gauge does better on water than land for sure she pinned both marks.

Day 3 Land
65 and 70 yard marks out of a coffin blind with a gun and a call, heavy cover she hunted for the first mark for a couple of mins second was close to a pin. Lost 3 of 20 dogs

Day 3 water
I think they wanted to weed out the people going 3 for 3, we lost 9 more dogs. The first test dog was a dog that was titled jr the day before who was cut on day 3 land, a short NS duck toller he got drag scent and couldn't get out past 35 yards. The first water mark was 85 yards 15 feet out into the lake with a heavy wind blowing to the shore. The shore line was flooded timber with about 5 or 6 different little inlets. Anyway test dog one didn't mark and hit the bank at inlet 3, 35 yards out and couldn't find it and gave up. So they pulled a second older more experienced test dog it went 60 yards hit the bank at the wrong inlet and then after 10 mins found the bird.

Everyone was worried, this was the weeder test, first dog up failed, Gauge and I were up I told her "mark" 4 times instead of the usual one. She was released and at 60 yards was going to the bank I said "hook" and caught myself moving to the left and sure as crap I kept saying it and she caught the white belly and hooked back out and pinned the mark. the judges were even saying nice mark. The second bird was 60 yards straight off the bank I knew it was a no brainer. Pinned it and called it a day.

Awesome experience, had a blast and going to more for sure. I found a guy in GP to train with and we are going to work on his Jr he didn't get it and I am going to start training for Sr. Thanks for all your help this has been an amazing journey.

Thank you
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:08 pm

Congrats to you both!! I am looking forward to my first test with Gunner in September.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:42 am

A little update, the brother in-law came to visit as well and had his dog on leash, poor gauge was tied up on leash as well. They let their dog off leash to greet Gauge and the other dog just hammered her and bit her in the side. Long story short a trip to the vet and 11 subcutaneous stitched and 3 external stitches later and poor Gauge was patched up. She is on antibiotics for the next week and stitches are due to come out in 14 days.

They felt pretty bad and said later that he knew his dog was aggressive to other dogs and men, I should have known when I seen the pinch collar but all is good. LOL he said just give the bill to his wife, $406.59 later was not what he was thinking.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:51 am

Congrats on y'all's passes Phil!!!!

The b-i-l's dog would be off limits to my house.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Labber » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Next time your bother in law visits, bite him for me.
You can send me the bill.
Labber
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:40 am

To tell the truth he and his wife felt really bad and the poor dog was kept a close bay or in the trailer in her kennel for the rest of the trip. I know it is not a good thing to have a dog that bites but he was talking about it going for the long walk, funny thing is they said this has just started the past few months, maybe it is medical?

Anyway we are back in AB home from a 5830kms trip taking Gauge to Wabaman for her first hunt test, Manitoba for her first stitches, across the International Peace Gardens into North Dakota (where we trained in a bean field) down into Fargo. Cabela's is now out and Scheel's sporting goods is in I will get some pics up in a bit. I also picked up a new RNT call and :no: some Sitka gear for this season, oh and added a Teal mojo to the spread. We then moved on to the worlds largest moose in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and then started North west to Calgary, Alberta where they now have a Bass Pro Shop, Scheel's is now a tie lol. I picked up Liam some camo gear and he picked out a new call for himself...the Duck Commander Triple Threat lol. We then booked it back North to Grande Prairie, Alberta. 24 days and 5830 kms that is 3622 miles for all my friends South of the boarder.

Gauge travels amazing, sleeping right between the two kids in the back seat I never knew a dog would sleep that much lol also an advantage of having a smaller lab I see. I will try to throw some pics up in the next while.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:48 am

Here are a few from the hunt test a fellow took for me

My relieved look and one water test to go for the title for Jr, hunter
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:10 am

Well I am about to start "swim by" it as essentially been a month since we have done any real yard work, we finished off with double T. I am thinking I should take a week or so and go back and review double T again just to freshen her up. I have the time and I am not in a rush. Thoughts?

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 am

Phild wrote:Well I am about to start "swim by" it as essentially been a month since we have done any real yard work, we finished off with double T. I am thinking I should take a week or so and go back and review double T again just to freshen her up. I have the time and I am not in a rush. Thoughts?

Thanks
Phil

presonally i would revisit double t and the disciplined casting make sure she has it down pretty good (dont belabor the drill since she has already done it) and then move on. my understanding is that the disiplined casting will greatly help with the swimby drill to understand what you are asking.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:16 pm

krazybronco2 wrote: my understanding is that the disiplined casting will greatly help with the swimby drill to understand what you are asking.

Disciplined casting definitely helps in swimby.
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum