She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Good luck with your treatment, Phil. I'm a little surprised they have not yet tried the epidural injection series. I had your same problem in late 96 and had a cervical laminectomy on C5 & C6. Mine was degenerative. Everything turned out well for a while. The pain returned in 2007 and they gave me the series of cortisone injections in the spine and I've been relatively pain free since.

Wish you well and quick recovery!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:38 am

Thanks guys,

Seems I am a bit too far gone for shots, I went thru the pain since the start of September...duck season you know can't stop lol no really seems I have a high threshold for pain. I went just over 4 months now and back on Jan6th I finally got some meds for pain. I tried chiropractors, acupuncture, massage therapy, physio and nothing worked. I went thru about 9 different meds until they found one that could control the pain to a liveable level. Seeing that it was that bad and I had a CT scan and an MRI in one day then a meeting with the surgeon about a week later. I finally realized how serious it was, on the meds I feel okay and get by easily but he said go off the meds for 3 or 4 days and see where you are. You will be back balled up in a knot in bed begging for the pain to stop so you can get more than an hrs sleep. So I never had much choice in the matter of getting shots or trying other less aggressive methods. Being pig headed, stubborn and not listening to people or my body put me at the top of the list for surgery. Most wait times are 10 to 12 months mine has been fast tracked to what we are hoping a month. Seen my orthopedic surgeon on Jan14th and see him again on Feb5th to go over everything and hope to be booked in some time in Feb.

I know keeping the "She's Here Dakota Cheek's Gauge" thread going has been a commitment and learning experience about dogs and training but I feel the people that read it from time to time or follow it know the story. This is just another part of the story of Gauge and myself. I hope to be recovered fully recovered by April, May at the latest so training can start again. Maybe I will have to trade in that Beretta SV10 Perennia 12ga for a nice little 20 ga lol. for hunting season so Gauge can get back out and enjoy what she loves doing best.

Thanks for the support and following
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:51 am

Ahh not much new in the North, got out last week to throw a few doubles but the snow as so deep the dokens were going out of sight and poor Gauge had to tunnel after hunting for a while to find the fall location. We got to play a little ball as well but -43C was a tad cold

Ice build up from her breathing lol

Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Well had the surgery today and I am writing this from my hospital bed. Looks like if everything goes well I will be cleared 100% by mid to late August just in time for duck season.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:18 pm

Speedy Recovery!!!
Hope it takes care of the pain!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:31 am

tenfingergrip wrote:Speedy Recovery!!!
Hope it takes care of the pain!

X2 :thumbsup:
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:31 am

Well it will be 4 weeks down on Monday since the surgery, been off pain meds for the last 3 weeks and I am almost off all of the nerve medication and no pain has came back. I still have some numbness in my legs but they are hoping that will go away. Poor Gauge this past month has just got out for a few walks and is getting cabin fever, I feel her pain, 24/7 in a neck collar sucks. Two weeks to go and maybe the snow will be gone and I can getbhervout training again. The only new new Gauge news to report is I now own one hell of a slipper fetcher lol.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu May 29, 2014 5:38 pm

Well I am just after 10 weeks post opp and Gauge and I are back training, we are just about 2 months behind where I would like to be but we have started the Transition stage of Lardy's TRT videos. Gauge was taking hand signals and casts to retrieve blind birds but I thought I would take it from the top and do it properly.

Here she is on a walk up to leg one at 100 yards and leg two at 125 yards. She was taught leg one on Monday and reviewed Tuesday with the addition of leg two. I then skipped a day due to other activities and did this walk up. For some reason leg one was a bit loopy but leg two was a nice straight line.

We're Back :thumbsup:
Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu May 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Good girl Gauge!!

:thumbsup:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Rutin » Thu May 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Good to see her back at it!!! :thumbsup:
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:47 am

Labber wrote:Phil,
For my first post here I'm simply going to ay that this diary you have created is excellent!
I'm sure many others have benefited from it, or just enjoyed it.
I hope you keep going with it.
Here's a pic of Guages Daddy!

Labber, that is one good looking dog! I will have to get a pup from this bloodline someday!
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:48 pm

And here's her momma!

Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:39 am

I will say I could not have found a better dog. She can run tests, hunt, play with the kids, just bum around if you have little time, hunt upland. I would not trade her for the world Gauge is just like one of the kids now.
Phild
hunter

Postby drhawkins » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Phild,

I am new to training and am getting my pup next week. I just want to say thank you! This is amazing. I am starting with Bill Hillmann's puppy program and have a family friend who is a pro to help me along the way. Gauge is amazing. I've been through the thread twice. Keep it up.
drhawkins
Newb

Postby Phild » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks for your kind words, when I first started with zero knowledge I came here and searched and read. I was looking for something like "my thread" to save asking questions and starting new threads and searching trying to remember where I see things I decided I would just do a life chronological history of our adventuers. I will be more acitve and keep posting now that we are back on track.

We just started pattern blinds and have run a 3 leg 100, 130 and a180 yarders, we went a week and Gauge had them all down great one line was a bit loopy but good none the less. Then we were out pissing around after training having some fun and she got a cut between her toes so we took a week off but we should be good to go on Saturday again. I have a vid I will put up.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:15 pm

Phil,

I just got your message. Thanks! I wanted to ask you, how was Gauge with her litter mates? I get pick of the litter on this next brood stock and wanted to see if you had anything that you noticed when you made your pick that stood out.

Thanks!

RR4L
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Maybe Dakota Creek will chime in I know she was one of the smaller ones and probably still it to the day, she is 60 lbs. Dakota Creek was the breeder. I didn't make a pick with Gauge she was the last one of two and the owner of the Sire wanted a male so I got a female...Gauge. I took my breeders word and had her flowen 1/2 way across Canada, sight unseen. Just some pics and lots of updates from Sue. She was really awesome and still is to this day! Thanks Sue and Chris.

If I knew then what I know now, even with her being the runt I would have hand picked her. With a good breeding, good back ground of dogs in the gene pool with titles, helth checks and temperment I am not sure if you could go wrong with a "great litter." All the pups form this litter have done exceptionally well from what I know and have heard.

I guess it depends on if you want male/female, super high energy vs laid back a bit (you can pick the high energy one but that is not a gaurentee). I know my female can hunt and hold her own at 60 lbs with the best of them all day long. Does she get tired on the big Canada's sure maybe but she finds a way to bring them in, it's all in their confidance level.

Have a look at the link.

http://www.northernflight.com/pup-sel.htm

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:19 pm

Thanks!!!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:05 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:And here's her momma!

:eek: she is soooo pretty!
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Labber » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:44 am

Some very sad news to report.
Last weekend, Phil passed away, unexpectedly, while fishing in Northern British Columbia.
I only knew him through a few phone calls and his posts here & on FB.
He was very passionate about his family, and life in general.
I'll miss his presence.
Scott Adams
Labber
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:41 am

Labber,

Damned. Thank you for letting the board know. This is terrible news and God Bless Phil's family and loved ones. He was very young. Phil did exude passion for his dog and family. Always enjoyed the upbeat perspective and appreciated him for getting after training the best hunting partner he could.

Sad, sad news. May Phil Rest in Peace. He'll be missed here as I'm sure many places.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:12 am

Wow. I enjoyed this thread so much. Thoughts go out to Phil's family, you can see the dedication that he had just by this thread. RIP
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:07 pm

I was absolutely stunned when Labber informed me of this yesterday.

Phil was so very passionate about the things he loved .... his family, the outdoors and hunting & fishing. His newest love was dog training and you could tell by the time and effort he put into working with Gauge. Phil shared many photos and videos of Gauge and their training sessions, but I think one of our favorites was this one -

With all the time he and Gauge spent training, they entered their first ever hunt test, both for Gauge and Phil on the July 1st weekend 2013. Gauge was 16 months old and they went 3 for 3 tests that weekend to earn Gauge's CKC Junior Hunter title.

Both Phil's kids were involved not only in helping to train Gauge, but also were very keen to go out with them hunting. I have heard that Phil's buddies are going to ensure that the kids continue to get out hunting with Gauge.

We are going to miss his calls and e-mail updates. Rest in peace my friend ......
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:09 am

WOW!! No!

This is like losing a member of your family! I am shocked and saddened.

You could tell from the very beginning, his first post, that Phil was the type of guy you would love to have as a neighbor and a friend. It was obvious, by his thoroughness, that his first foray into retriever training was going to be a success. And it was. I did not know Phil personally. I wish I had. He will be missed. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

RIP, Phil!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:31 pm

It's very hard to believe... but life is so precious. This man took the time to really help inform me on what to expect with my pup Tessa and how to get the best head start. I am deeply saddened to see a brother in fowl pass at such an incredible time in his life. Prayers go out to Phil's wife and kids. Why do the good one's always go so young?

RIP Phil... I hope the blind is warm and the birds are plenty up there.
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum