What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby Phild » Sun May 26, 2013 10:16 am

krazy we are so close in training I would love to have the chance to bring Gauge to meet Bella. One of these vacations I am dedicating to traveling South and taking a month off to do the things I want to do.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun May 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Lol...I just want to come north right now. The heat is out of hand.

We worked on checks and drives today. Go get a medium length bird off to the side, then check into a short bird, then punch tight past it.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Ran 6 singles with a double at the end. Kirby is very steady for his age and I'm very happy with his progress thus far, don't have to use a lead to hold him and only keep a hand on his collar tab for a just incase he decides to break moment. Today was the first time I had someone else throw the marks and he only ran towards the thrower on the first mark then was right back to me every time. We're on day 15-16 of Hillmann's with the obedience part. I introduced the bird boy a little sooner than in the video but feel the pup was ready for that.
cn44
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Mon May 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Arrived at our grounds and were pleasantly surprised to see one of our favorite gently rolling fields had been cut and hay bales scattered across the field.

We have been emphasizing marking lately, so we decided to rebalance a little and work on double blinds with a gun station out in the middle, between the blinds. Dogs had to clip close past the gun station and negotiate the gun, terrain roll, light cross wind and hay bales. Short blind was 200. Long blind was 360.

We then flip flopped the field and ran a second set that was nearly identical.

We also worked with a young Q dog who has begun to pop in mark/blind situations, so we set up a very loose mark off to the side and then an easy blind combo. No pops.

Then....the Louisiana heat set in and we withdrew to a shady oak grove for a cold coke and bs'ing while the dogs cooled.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby daddyhuck » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

First intro to water. She is 5.5 months. She lept right in and that was it. it was a pond with a steep bank so wading in was not really an option. I'll be taking her to the lake this weekend where the water level is much more gradual and I can wade in with her.
daddyhuck
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue May 28, 2013 9:56 am

With me standing at home plate, and her at the pitcher mound, she has 1st and 3 rd base down. Any tips on the 2nd base hand command? When i give it i step foward pointing over her head, and she pretty much takes a guess and goes to either 1st or 3rd
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Tue May 28, 2013 10:22 am

stealfeathers wrote:With me standing at home plate, and her at the pitcher mound, she has 1st and 3 rd base down. Any tips on the 2nd base hand command? When i give it i step foward pointing over her head, and she pretty much takes a guess and goes to either 1st or 3rd

Are you talking about "over" and "back"? :huh:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue May 28, 2013 10:25 am

Yes, sorry for not making that clear. Im trying to be able to send her "back" to second base from the pitchers mound, using a hand signal
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:04 pm

stealfeathers wrote:Yes, sorry for not making that clear. Im trying to be able to send her "back" to second base from the pitchers mound, using a hand signal

if you have a few bumpers in the back pile have the pup in a remote sit toss a bumper over the pups head into the back pile as soon as the bumper hits the ground blow the sit whistle and send with the back pile. im guessing the pup is confused about what direction to go. and also blow the sit whistle if the pup takes the wrong cast and correct (helps if you shorten everything up so around 15 yards or so from the line you are standing at to the back pile and about 7-8 yards from the center line) and if the pup is confused put a check cord on the pup and do not tell the pup get a bumper until they take the correct cast.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 pm

i know i said i wouldnt do it (because belle is in heat) but i did anyways Belle and I ran our first full single t today with only a few mistakes but started off identifying the piles from the remote sit and got 3 retrieves to the back pile before we hit 100 yards. she did great except toward the end of the she wanted to flair a little bit to the left over pile but stopped her and brought back in lined to the back pile uniteruppted 2 more times before calling it a day. also her other mistake was she didnt want to take the right over cast but after moving over a little bit she took it. after she comes out of heat which should be soon i will force to the back pile and get her going faster again and make sure she knows all her cast before we move to the double t
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Bronco, thanks for your time replying. I will let you know how itvworks. Im sure she will understand now that i do...
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:49 pm

So I'm a little behind on introducing my pup to live birds. Living in California and in a pretty large city has made it a little difficult to get a hold of pigeons. Fortunately, I found someone in town that can supply me with pigeons whenever I want.

I'm very pleased with her reaction to her first live bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqdTZYjHCpU

Video quality is a little bad, but oh well.
rinkor16
hunter

Postby Rutin » Thu May 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Were on week one of FF. Sarge is picking it up nicely but there's still a long way to go. He's got hold down but likes to move his head a lot so I'm constantly correcting him. I need to find a place where I can tie a rope tree to tree and hook his collar so he doesn't have that freedom. Got a feeling this is going to be a month long project on this topic. :hammer:
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Me and all 4 dogs have watched it rain for about the last week straight!! Lucky to get a little yard work in between storms! :mad:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm

After about a 1 and a half inch rain in half hour we had some big puddles outside so we got some water intro/work in.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:46 pm

after noticing my pup was getting bord of running drills we took a few days off of drills and did some marks with walk up and diversions. and today we did a hand thrown double about 60 yards out memory and 50 yards for the go bird both landing in heavy cover and having to break 3 differnt sets of cover to get to the birds. had a diversion and a walk up. put her up and put out a blind pole about 40yds out and completely away the marks. put 2 bumpers out and the first one she had 7 whistles and then the 2nd bumper to the same place took 4 whistles and she took every cast correctly just was a little timied on each cast. but that will be fixed after we start running the double t and running the reverse t. i was pretty happy with how she did today but i know we still have alot or work left before she runs her first seasoned test in the fall.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:33 am

We ran some shorter marks today and with 100 yard cold blind across the pond. Line to the blind was good, only had to handle twice. He would have most likely got it in one but, I gave him to much angle on the left over and had to pull him back right. Its starting to get pretty hot during the day so we took a break and worked my buddies dog on walking fetch and started some short marks with her. Then back out for pattern blinds with Gunner. First three patterns were good with no trouble so decided to add a forth which was really tight with the third. This proved to be pretty confusing to my boy and he wanted to pull to the number 3 blind. Had to check him back in a couple times and apply alittle pressure. He was starting to loose focus from the heat and he is very soft when it comes to pressure so gave him a little help into the pile on the first one and then let him line it out 2 more times. A few bumpers later we kicked back in the shade.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Been working on Remote Sit and Delivery to Hand at Heel with my buddy's young pup for last two days. She picked it up quite well, so we'll be well on our way to handling in the next few weeks. One of the short videos I took this morning with barn swallows flying all around

Last edited by tenfingergrip on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:48 pm

didnt have to go to work today (love working 4 10hour days) and got a buddy of mine to throw marks for here. did 3 singles in some pretty heavy cover and about 60-70 yards each and the last bird she got a division and did great had some trouble on the second bird and needed some help but i blame that on my choice of ducks (indian black runners) and the back ground on that mark being very dark. the other 2 marks she stepped on.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I want to say something here regarding marking.

A lot of trainers like to throw birds consistently in heavy cover, which is fine to a point. But, also be aware that if you get out of balance the dog will often simply seek cover on their hunts and not actually mark the bird.

This was brought home to me about a year ago when our sub-group met for a quick session at a local abandoned baseball complex. It was hot, so we decided to make the second bird to be picked up a medium long retired "gimme"memory and so we tossed it onto a skinned infield with a few patches of weeds growing up. But, there was cover about 20 yards behind the bird.

EVERY dog bypassed that bird and drove into the cover and had to be handled.
These are good marking dogs....including a Finalist at the Nat. Am this year.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:29 am

yesterday went and met with Belles trainer to get her on some marks. first we did a walk up with 3 singles then put her up then after all the dogs had run she got brought out and did a taught triple with a diversion. put her up again and then ran a short blind that was 40-50 yds away from the area of the fall and run from the exact line that we ran the marks to teach her the mechanics of the blind a little better because she has been doing alot of drills (single t and just started double t) with 2.5 months before hunt test season comes around we working hard to get her to where she could pass maybe pass a finished test but know she could pass a seasoned test.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Went to the lake with the pup. I finally got her to do a water retrieve. You can't see it, but I had a huge grin on my face.

rinkor16
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Rinkor, it's always great when things start to click. Great job.

Taz and I did our first sessions workibg on steady to flush and shot. Went better than expected, 3rd attempt was rock solid til release for retrieve.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:24 pm

wanted to change it up with belle today so found a cove that is about 30 yards bank to bank with water that barely moves and worked on the water t. did pretty good but took a few runs to get her to ignore the goose smell that was all over the place (had to scare 22 geese out of the cove (dont worry it is in a neighborhood so cant shoot them) also was raining which was different than normal.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:45 am

We worked on cleaning his crate some more. I'm learning and soon he'll be able to have me do it on command.
Duck Diver
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum