What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby CatSquirrel » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:12 am

We worked the corner of a huge hay field this morning with an in-line triple. Long right hand bird thrown down the treeline at 300, middle bird thrown down the treeline at 175, then a go bird thrown around the corner at maybe 150. While the dog was picking up the go, the middle retired...long gun left out for a long draw. Dogs were expected to come back from the go and check into the retired middle. After they picked up the middle, the long gun retired for a long punch.
We used a duck on the short go and pheasants on the two right hand retireds.
The big dogs handled it well....we broke it down for the young dogs by having the long gun hidden and running a double with the middle retired. Then the long punch as a single with the middle visible. Going back into the middle was the lesson for the young dogs. We did not penalize the young ones for caving into the middle bird, just simple handled with a pump from the long gun as they turned to remind them to drive long.

After that, we set up a triple blind with two poison birds thrown individually.
The first poison was thrown up wind very tight to the line to the first blind and the dog was expected to clip about 8 feet past the poison to drive another 125 yards to the bird. All of the old dogs sucked into the poison and had to be handled off, with some corrections.
The second poison was thrown down a treeline with the dogs expected to pick up a short blind in front of the poison gun and then a second blind past the poison.
We did not put the young dogs in this set up. Way too advanced for them.

These were brutal set-ups even by an Open standard. But, this is the way we train. Train hard...test easy.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:06 pm

started the double t today got both extra overs identified ran to the back pile a few times then one right over cast one more send to the back pile then we were done. would have run her more but the humidity was really starting to get to her after a few runs.

also took off a few days becuase i was running her to hard in the heat and humidity and she just wasnt getting alot out of the drills and her attitude was pretty down when running the drills but today was a pretty good day. tomorrow we might get the left over and a back cast.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:53 pm

This....

Out of order flyer water marks.

Order was left Flyer #1 down, long middle retired #2, right hand bird #3 go bird thrown angled back just short of an island (water bird).

The right hand go was about 180 with a triple re-entry. Dog had to hunt up the bird in the water. Kinda a trick bird, but we train for that....next, go in and get the visible left-hand flyer. This was straight forward. Just hit the water and drive through some watery weeds and up and out (200). Last was the long middle retired thrown down the treeline at about 340. Very difficult bird requiring 5 re-entries.

I wish I could say we smacked it, but had to handle on the long middle bird to keep him wet. Still....I'm not displeased, this is one of the toughest set-ups I've run with this dog.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:38 pm

went and meet with a local pro like we try to do every sat and got 3 singles and she does great on the shorter birds but if 2 wingers are almost on line with each other she can not get past the old fall/winger to get to the bird. this is the is the second time in the last 2 training sessions with the same pro that she has done this and each time she has had to get help for the long bird. also both times the short bird has been around 50 yards and the long bird around 125 yards. not sure if it is inexperience or if it is her depth perception but I do next sat the pro said we will be using shackled birds to train with so hoping it will be fun for her and me.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Krazy,
Are you breaking the double down? Teaching tight stations and falls takes some finesse.

We keep puppies in wide visible gun set ups running singles and then gradually tighten up the stations. As I said, use visible guns.
When it comes time to run the tight double, you can run it as singles first, put her up and run some other dogs and then come back to it later in the session and run it as a double.

Another way to break it down would be to throw both birds (long bird is almost always first) and when she comes back from the short go bird, lock her down on the long gun and have them throw another bird. Just throw...no shot or hey-hey...it's a memory jog and will teach her to drive past an old fall by pulling her out.

Don't rely on throwing a second bird too much though. It's simply a memory jogger for young puppies.

And remember to keep balance in your marking sets and go back to wider guns, because you don't want to keep pushing the lesson of the perils of an old fall too much with a puppy. Better to slowly teach the concept of pushing past old falls rather than setting them up to fail and then correcting (as a young pup).
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby dysco » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 pm

First puppy walk today up the side of a mountain valley at about 9,500'. First time for everything she saw: tall grass, a log jump, sagebrush, steep uphill and downhill, and finished off with intro to mountain stream. She aced it. :biggrin:

A bit underfoot, but did great. She's now in coma phase.

Eddy- 8 week old yellow pointing lab. She came home yesterday.
dysco
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:53 pm

dysco wrote:First puppy walk today up the side of a mountain valley at about 9,500'. First time for everything she saw: tall grass, a log jump, sagebrush, steep uphill and downhill, and finished off with intro to mountain stream. She aced it. :biggrin:

A bit underfoot, but did great. She's now in coma phase.

Eddy- 8 week old yellow pointing lab. She came home yesterday.

Glad to hear things went well, but you can't talk about puppies without adding pics.:mrgreen:

Sent from my new unbroken fully functional phone
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:21 pm

yesterday mostly helped some guys with some younger dogs with intro to live birds and taught them a few things about how to recall and then took the live ducks (very young that couldn't fly) and did some longer marks to simulate a crippled bird. and she loved it so much but might have to revisit some force fetch because on each bird she would get half way back and try and readjust the bird and it would get away and she would have to chase it a little before making back to me.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:32 pm

today worked on some disciplined casting and went about as good as I could as for the first time running it. took a couple of small corrections to get her to sit on the way back in. and she had some problems with doing the overs that were about 70 yards out but didn't have any problems with doing short ones (about 30yds from the line) so I just shortened her up and worked her from a remote sit ran the overs then remote sat again and casted back then on the way back started to handle on the overs. she did them perfectly then, but had to call it a day after that because she getting pretty hot running all over the place.

tomorrow hoping to get her to take the long overs on the way back and run it a few more times to get all the overs and back all solid.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:09 pm

Water retrieves at the lake heavy thick cover ending with a successful 70yrd cold water blind.Then moved to a pond for some short successful. short blinds and marks with one 100yrd. cold as the short blinds were he got just a little off line one whistle blast turned treading water and faceing the handler an over blast treading 3handed back cast right hand turning away from the suction the bank and we are there not that he needs it .It could have been a left he's shore broke.We are there and he's on his straight line back.Maintaining.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby dysco » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Puppy walk #2: Yucca, pinion pine, prickly pear, and hot rocks. She stayed right on my heels and we kept it short because of the heat.

Tomorrow we'll go to the other side of town and hopefully find some really tall grass and a stream.
dysco
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:17 am

Nice looking pup.Water training on hot days works for us. Next to the pond we are training at there is a brook with clean cold water that we also use.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:28 am

yesterday didnt get alot of training in for field work but did get some socialization. being a operator in training for a nuc plant sometimes doesnt offer the time to train her like i would like but had some coworkers over to study and had her working on down and to only appoach people after i told her i was ok.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:22 am

The pond is as I call it the neighborhood dog park.After being picked up by a loose mastiff he has made a complete turn around in socialization skills.This is the part of the reason for being there.Although yesterday's maintenance didn't go as well as Tuesday's.Am finding most people love to see him train and are full of questiions and compliments.Wednesdays was he's smart.Although his lining that day was poor for him.More maintenance there.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:26 am

On the up side my Droid kept punctuation in the correct spots for the seccond two posts.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:29 am

UK Springer wrote:Nice looking pup.Water training on hot days works for us. Next to the pond we are training at there is a brook with clean cold water that we also use.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 am

Took dog to the lake were we will spend most of next season for some training/scouting.I live a short distance from one of the top 5 lakes along the Atlantic flyways.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:55 am

yesterday worked some more on the disiplined casting and trying to drive past the back and over piles. took a tip from a local trainer to put and orange bumper at the orginial pile and then a big white bumper past the orange bumper. took a little bit but i worked close to her and kinda followed her so if she started to pop or look at me i could give her cast. did it on both the short and long over piles and i think it is starting to click in that brain of hers to take a cast only reason i say that it is starting to click i can get her to cast with out any verbal up to the orange bumper but takes a little verbal to get her to drive past that point. but we are slowly getting there and im guessing anouther week of disiplined casting and we will be ready to go to water t and swim by and keep mixing in some lining drills here and there and hopefully be ready for our first seasoned test in the middle of Sept.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Went to the trainers today. Ran three marks from 175 yards to 60 yards in cover. Then ran two blinds at 175 yards and a shorter one at 125 yards. Got to watch him run 9 other dogs at various training levels. It was a good day.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:39 pm

ran a double today the memory bird was 104yrds and the go bird was a hand thrown bird about 90degrees from the memory bird and only 30yards long but really I wanted her to start using her memory more and she did pretty good.

then I ran a short blind that was just over 60yards and only took 2 whistles to get there the first time then the second time took 4 whistles to get her to there took the initial line fine but about 30 yards out she started to curve a little right and she kept wanting to go that way for some reason would have run it again but needed to stop because it is well into the 90s when we were training.

the blind

the memory mark
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Threw a few dummies in the back yard with roscoe on his dog stand for the first time. Taking him to the park down the road before work tomorrow to work on it some more. After he gets this down its time for introduction to the dog blind.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:59 am

Just a double last night....blind right off the back of the memory gun station with a road and sidewalk involved....

"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:32 pm

almost done with disciplined casting she is really starting to understand what im trying to communicate. had to force on back cast a couple of times when I stopped her close to me (wanted to pop after about 20 yards) also getting her to take most of the cast with out a verbal over or back. she and I are slowly getting there.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:29 pm

Me and Hoyt did a few minutes of come sit work and a couple minutes of heal. He still isn't getting heal but is great with come sit. I can walk a good 20 foot away and he will stay till called. Also getting more excited for hup hup's. he was kinda sluggish looking today so we didn't work long but yesterday he was running and hopping when I threw the bumper. Not bad for 11.5 weeks I think. He still spends most of his time sleeping and didn't really get started with come and sit but for the last week.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Ment to add a pic as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375313405.950304.jpg
Bigpuddin43
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum