What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:38 pm

Bigpuddin43 wrote:Ment to add a pic as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21375313405.950304.jpg

must be hard being a puppy!!!
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:00 am

Been a while since I posted on here but we have been working on a lot of gunner thrown land marks. Still slowly brining the gun into play. He likes to try to break for the bird on the shot. Land marks are stretched out to about 100-150 yards in short grass and about 50-75 in knee high grass. Water is a different story, most all the marks he sees there are from my side or off to the side since the bodies of water we have to train on are really large. Short water marks he smashes into the water with a lot of enthusiasm, long water marks he slowly gets in the water. Not sure how to "fix" this other than keep building that confidence and give him a lot of fun short marks. We will be starting FF in a couple weeks after his last baby teeth come out.
cn44
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 am

Pump as he's entering the water on your long marks.

But he's a baby....take your time.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:57 am

Started using real ducks and he couldn't get enough. Worked the gun in close and now able to shoot right beside him and have him mark off the gun.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:51 pm

May we join this thread with you gentlemen. Seems many of you are working your dogs at the same point I am.
Pearl is my girl and today we did more lineing drills to start, running them to about 75 yards and shes making me proud.
Shes had her blind now for 2 days and accepts it great! entering it on a place/kennel command from 20 yards away. A friend challenged us to get her into it from 100 yards away....We failed...But we used a whistle sit and got her sitting at the door.
Then for todays big test was a Blind 30 yards into a pond behind a large phragmite stand,100 yard land run to the pond. While starting in her dog blind 20 yards from me. She nailed it,..Heal from blind to my side..BACK...
ran a straight line 100 yards and was out of site. 30 seconds later crashed out of the phrag duck in mouth and coming in hot and fast.
swung to heal, dropped the darn duck shook off refetched it and raised it to me...Drop....ARRRRR....Next command was Place/Kennel and she did it. It was perfect all but the drop and shake but I will take it for I can work on that. Shes going to be 2 in a couple of months.
Pearl 8-3-13 013.jpg

Her run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoeO7bw1 ... e=youtu.be
Tell me any suggestions
Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:59 pm

Worked on steadying for water marks tonight. More of just an exercise session since I didn't have a bird boy that knew what was going on. Ran a couple with a bumper then brought out the duck and he goes absolutely nuts for it. Can't swim out to it fast enough. After water work we ran some long land marks. 100+ yards and worked on "holding" the bumper while the new mark is thrown then dropping it before being sent for mark. He was having issues of wanting to break on marks and I have found this keeps his butt on the ground and at heel before being sent when I want him to. I haven't begun FF or CC so I can't really put any pressure on him for compliance other than with a check cord.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:01 am

yesterday was a pretty easy day a short 10min force to water session so we can start working on swim by im thinking one more session and she will be ready to start taking cast.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:36 pm

We have been running lining drills and cold blinds mostly and mixing in a half dozen marks at the end of each session. I run him on multiples about once a week and he always comes back and nails the memory bird. Walk ups and diversions are good the only issue I am having is lining him up on blinds. You have to really watch his head if he looks off at the last second when you send him you can get in a little trouble. Thats why I have tried to really focus on blinds lately but, its coming together and he is getting better everyday.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:44 pm

We worked on long multiple water marks with current and angled entry marks last night. I hunt a tidal river a lot so stationary water marks are not effective live training
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:28 pm

today Belle got some marks ran this first as a 2 singles then came back and ran what I am calling an interrupted triple. so it went watch G1 was the memory bird G2 was the go bird then after picking up G2 she came back and I hand threw a bird to the right of G2 about 30yards from the line had her pick that bird up then go and pick up G1. this is what it looked like. well the pic isn't doing right but G2 was just outside of what you can see in the pic and about 130 yards from the line. also this was the best place I could find that didn't have grass everywhere that was knee high.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:15 am

Set up from last night....

Breaking bird triple with a blind through bird scented cover...

In line with a long down the shore blind with an out of order breaking bird....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Well, it was hot as hell today and me nor the dog was looking forward to any activity out in the sunshine. Decided to get her conditioned to taking her "place" in a dog blind I just ordered and received at a nominal price ($25). Threw a little raffia on it, staked it out under the big pecan tree at the clubhouse and did a little "kennel/place" commands with her. She picked it up after about 3 'in & outs' so got my stool and three bumpers and the video and conditioned her "in the shade". Next session, hopefully cooler, will be with live pigeons getting a load of # 6's and we'll make sure Abby's steady and ready for her blind up in Canada on our Sept-Oct trip for ducks and geese.
http://youtu.be/wJDqlIyDHdo

Can this youtube video be embedded? My computer doesn't let it happen!
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Nice set ups guys. We could run the 100 yard blind in a beautiful straight line but the scented cover probably would have ate us up. :help: I see thats something for us to work on.
Tomorrow is a water work day. Theres a beautiful training area 1 hour away. Has perfect swimby ponds and angled water, land, water to run some extended lines. I'm sure it will have some ugly moments but thats why we train now not in season.
Wow 10finger your dog picked up the blind quick. There cool blinds for the price and size folded up and easy setup.
I started using Kennel instead of place and she got it alot better. Seems Kennel means get inside to her and place means go there.
Makes sence, she jumps on her ruff stand when i tell her place and goes in her kennel when I say kennel...That was a trainers mistake mixing words.
Enjoy the weekend and hope it cools down. I have to start at 5:30 am to beat the heat.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:29 pm

first labs that first set up looks pretty darn nasty but I like it. so question was the blind 100% water with a lot of stuff to get through or was there any land involved?

well today went to a public fishing area today and got permission to use all the ponds except for the hatchery ponds. so rode around and found a lot of set ups that will cover everything from stick ponds, cheaty marks, long pure water marks, even a few ponds with points. well today ran a 2 singles on the stick pond, Belle had to drive through 2 sets of cover to get to both marks then came back home and did a short force to water session with about 30 poison birds (the stupid geese thought we were feeding them)
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:26 am

the pro trainer that lives in the neighborhood picked me up this morning and we ran a few dogs down in a swamp nothing big short marks at about 40 yards but the cover, underwater stuff, and channels could get a dog off line in no time. then with the younger dogs were put up after the marks and after a all the dogs were run the younger dogs were run on a short blind of about 50yards through cover and channels but helped them out with a big white cone.

may go and start identifying some pattern blinds this afternoon. just depends on the temps this afternoon.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:08 pm

pond training.jpg

The blue one she missed the line coming off the point after the land portion of this blind. I didnt catch it since she was in a hole I couldnt see her untill she was atop the hill. Whistle sat her and right over and she ran down the trail on the ridgetop. Another whistle stop right above the bird and hunted it up. Bad line but good whistle stops and overs at 100 yards. Gotta find the good right?
The red one was great swim straight up the water portion hit land and kept it straight right up the hill to the bird. But she used the land all the way back. Girls taking the easy way out.....
Swim by and water treading excersises went well also.
Some geese flew over us and I told her kennel, she was in her blind in a flash and watched em fly over. Then a Ruddy duck landed in the pond 20 feet in front of her. She didnt move a muscle.....Untill commanded to :biggrin:

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:03 am

Spry YD,
Did you build that technical pond for your dog training? Nice!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:42 am

No I didn't build it. It's one of the state owned dog training areas. Maintained buy the local dog clubs.
There free to use and we are all alone this time of year.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:00 am

That's pretty sweet. Thought we were lucky to have a couple of square public ponds designated for training just outside the last city I lived in.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote:No I didn't build it. It's one of the state owned dog training areas. Maintained buy the local dog clubs.
There free to use and we are all alone this time of year.

Spry

that would be awesome wish we had some tech ponds that were free or even for a small fee to use in our area.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:00 pm

today I didn't get up with the alarm clock like I should have and ran some marks. but after church and lunch it was way to hot to do anything. so waited till it got cooler and started swim by. she did well most of the time was just to the pile and back but did get a left over with the bumper in her mouth and a right back. tomorrow I will try to get a right over and left back with the bumper in her mouth then move to a true swim by on wend. but her attitude is a lot better in the water than it was on land. and I may have gotten lucky after getting to the left over she doesn't cheat to the bank just back to me but she has never really been a bank runner.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:24 am

krazybronco2 wrote:first labs that first set up looks pretty darn nasty but I like it. so question was the blind 100% water with a lot of stuff to get through or was there any land involved?

The aerial photo was from last fall. The line to the blind is through lunging/running water with lots of marsh grass to get through...never lost sight of the dog all the way to the blind, but plenty of "distractions" on the way to the blind. Ducks and coot use this pond A LOT and feed in the area we ran the blind...no land involved...
Labs
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 am

I was shooting bumpers out in my back pasture and the little girl took a june grass shoot up the nose.
The sneezing has subsided but watching closely. May be a vet trip today......Darn!

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Labs » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:48 am

Spry,

When you mentioned about your dog getting the grass up the nose, it prompted me to also mention this. A couple of weeks ago, there was a dog that was running as test dog for a Master test. He was a hard charging dog, and was sent on the flyer. He got tripped up in the longer grass and fell awkwardly and broke his neck...the dog died at the test. I don't know about the rest of you guys that train a lot, but I have had this happen to my dog plenty of times and never really thought much of it....bad things can happen, so be careful out there...also a good idea to walk the ground you are training on for sharp sticks, holes, fence posts, barbed wire, etc....
Labs
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:58 pm

We are working on extending distance on retrieves. We have been working a single line up to 200 yards. I added distractions last night and she blew right past them.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum