What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:14 pm

tonight had to wait for the thunder and lightening to stop but about a little less than halfway done with swim by. got belle to take a left back and a right over with a bumper in her mouth and on the right over got her to do a little bit of a swim by (left over cast) had to walk with her but cant complain since it was her first time really having to swim by.

tomorrow as long as the heat is down we will be running a few marks with a walk up and diversions.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Well it came a down pour here as soon as I got home from work so did some come heel sit work in the house. Followed with some fun bumpers. Seams every time me and him both have the energy to work the weather wants to mess it all up. If this thunder storm clears with some daylight left I will get out and work with him.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:29 pm

OMG :eek: labs that would be horrible to see. Just shows we never know. I carry my first aid kit when ever training/hunting
and unfortunately have had to use it before. Had to staple the skin closed after one of my older dogs tore open on some barbed wire. We had a 3 hour drive to the vet ahead of us.
Cool bronco. Isn't it great when smart students just seem to understand the lesson being taught. :thumbsup:
Talked to my Cousin today and he said since her sneezing is subsiding she probably swallowed anything left.
My Uncle and Cousin are her vets so we get special service and only pay cost for meds.
He told me if it happens in the field to squirt saline down her nose to push the debris into her throat and she will swallow it and stomach acids will do the rest. But caution..don't drown her...Duh...The barbs in grasses only allow it to go one way...in...
I hope it cools down and we get a few finishing training touches done .....Then the fowl fun begins. :thumbsup:

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Finishing up some formal OB work then starting FF. Probably work a lot of OB until Monday just to make sure he's solid and understands what I fully expect. Been working hold on the table and have him walking back and forth with bumper in mouth and sitting. Moving him to the ground to work hold while walking and heeling.
cn44
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:24 pm

We revisited double T we had some time off, started swim by last night and did force to water. Gauge took to it very well and we even did a couple of whistle sits half way to start teaching treading water. We aill continue with swim by for the next couple of weeks while we are in good weather and before duck season.

After getting her fun bumpers I some how mannaged to wing on about 50 yards up into so very very thick 8 to 9 ft tall cover. So I sent her across the pond and let her hunt the bank (it was 20 feet up in the bush) she came up with nothing in about 20 seconds. I though okay here we go i will go look for it, I blew it but Gauge came to the edge of the pond sat down lookign for direction so i gave her a back cast and off she shot and the bush was moving, I was laughing and I said to myself "if you find that bumper we are goign to have a good duck season" sure as crap out she came and hit the water coming back across the pond. I am sure I over praised her with the "good girls" but she deserved it.

Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Tonight is angled water entries with land / water / land marks. Then a bunch of controlled angle entry marks on big water and some fun bumpers at the end.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:24 pm

2 singles today also the first time using stickmen (undershirts on a wire hanger) would have liked to have had a little more separation between the marks but had to work kinda with what I had. G1 she stepped on, on G2 the handler go cute and started calling random dog names to see if she would be steady on different names (no such luck) well tried to get her lined up on the right bird well she went to the old fall so handled her to the correct bird and put her up to reload G2 again and the second time the handler wasn't cute and she barely cheated the cover and still stepped on the bird.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y49 ... 8cf09e.jpg
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Phild wrote:We revisited double T we had some time off, started swim by last night and did force to water. Gauge took to it very well and we even did a couple of whistle sits half way to start teaching treading water. We aill continue with swim by for the next couple of weeks while we are in good weather and before duck season.

After getting her fun bumpers I some how mannaged to wing on about 50 yards up into so very very thick 8 to 9 ft tall cover. So I sent her across the pond and let her hunt the bank (it was 20 feet up in the bush) she came up with nothing in about 20 seconds. I though okay here we go i will go look for it, I blew it but Gauge came to the edge of the pond sat down lookign for direction so i gave her a back cast and off she shot and the bush was moving, I was laughing and I said to myself "if you find that bumper we are goign to have a good duck season" sure as crap out she came and hit the water coming back across the pond. I am sure I over praised her with the "good girls" but she deserved it.

Phil

what happened I though you were about to start swim by back in July? because for a while there you and Gauge were ahead of Belle and I by about a month or so because of her heat cycle.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Bella and I ran a few land marks to warm her up. Then moved to water marks with angled entries. We moved to an area with a winding back channel. The channel was edged with waist high marsh grass and tall willows. The throw point was on top of a sand dune separating the channel from the river. We started there with short straight marks. Then moved to mid range marks with land / water/ land retrieves on the edges of the channel. She was doing great so I toughened it up and threw marks into tall grass. She ran straight to the fall points and found the bumpers quickly. We then ran marks with throws over willow clumps. She short cut the willow clumps a little and rapidly found the bumpers. We finished with long marks tossed into the willows. She took a little longer to find each of those but handled them all easily.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:54 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
Phild wrote:We revisited double T we had some time off, started swim by last night and did force to water. Gauge took to it very well and we even did a couple of whistle sits half way to start teaching treading water. We aill continue with swim by for the next couple of weeks while we are in good weather and before duck season.

Phil

what happened I though you were about to start swim by back in July? because for a while there you and Gauge were ahead of Belle and I by about a month or so because of her heat cycle.

LOL we were going to to start about three weeks ago but I got back to work and all hell broke loose with the drill rigs in our area, we are short 4 guys and are now covering a larger geographical area which means more work for me. I have been doubled up on shifts and that means I really need to work hard to get time. Just an example of what free time I have been getting for my family let alone Gauge one week on call I worked 107.5 hrs. That is almost 3 weeks work at 40 hrs lol so the spare time is cut back. I finally got a couple of days and decided to try to get a good solid week in on swim by.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Today I ran my dog hard. She followed my UTV until she spent all of her energy.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Today was Hot, The air was filled with smoke from wildfires.
So we rested.
DSC00410.JPG
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:21 am

Phild wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:

Phil

LOL we were going to to start about three weeks ago but I got back to work and all hell broke loose with the drill rigs in our area, we are short 4 guys and are now covering a larger geographical area which means more work for me. I have been doubled up on shifts and that means I really need to work hard to get time. Just an example of what free time I have been getting for my family let alone Gauge one week on call I worked 107.5 hrs. That is almost 3 weeks work at 40 hrs lol so the spare time is cut back. I finally got a couple of days and decided to try to get a good solid week in on swim by.

Later
Phil

wow 107hours a week is way to much work.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:17 am

Still working hard on cold blinds and lining. I am starting to stretch Gunner back out on the distance of his blinds. We ran few at 140 and a few more at 160 yesterday afternoon and then a few at about 80 yards just for confidence. Worked on diversions for a bit while we ran some short marks and over all did great with everything but, I still want to tighten up his lines a little more before test time.
Later in the afternoon we worked on not eating dad’s mac and cheese when he turns his back. Yep that received a rather harsh correction. I am not real sure what his malfunction was, that has never been a problem and he never gets table food. I guess it was just his day to be a dog but, I kinda doubt he will be making that mistake again for a while. I am still really proud of my 14 month old up to this point and learn something new from him just about every day and today it was just that he lacked table manners. :no:
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 am

Started with some hold work on the table as a quick refresher then moved to the ground and did a lot of obedience while holding the bumper. Had a little breakthrough as Kirby started opening his mouth willingly to accept the bumper. I haven't begun any force work yet as I'm just trying to move slowly and get "hold" down before we move on to applying pressure.
cn44
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 am

I spent my second day doing force to water and practicing her treading and then taking a back casts, all went well. I did however spend about an hr clearing cat tails, tall grass and bush away from the bank so I can run around the side when I need to. I think however I may just change locations to a slightly larger pond but I can only exit out of one side so I will have to change banks to teach her exiting both directions. It will be much easier to move around for me and it is all cleared on the sides.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby plhsurfer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 am

We worked on getting used to his new stand and blind.
Attachments
Kona_Blind_Stand.jpg
plhsurfer
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:11 am

tried to start a true swimby yesterday afternoon and man it didnt go well i thought it would be a good day Belle was super bouncy when i got home and full of energy. started with a simple send to the back pile and on the way back she took the right over perfectly and then needed a little help with the left over to swimby me. brought her in and sent her again to the back pile this was going to be a back cast with bumper in mouth and that is where it all went down hill. couldnt get her to sit straight wouldnt take the cast all the way to the back pile everything so after fighting that for a few mins i called it a day after a few more sends to the back pile just there and back.

wanted to throw some marks but i see that skipping a day while in swim by is not the best idea.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:32 am

After watching the SRS video bronco posted it gave me a good idea for training. So I'm taking the layout blind, shotgun, blanks,
duck calls, dog blind and mutt up to the training pond again for some live fire training. This should be entertaining. I will try to get some video to share the entertainment. :thumbsup:
Wish me luck.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Worked hold again today with the bumper and did obedience around the yard while holding. He's very comfortable with the bumper in his mouth so I'm going to introduce new items since I feel he understands what hold means. Will start with new items back up on the table next session then move to ground with each. Hoping to start ear pinch tomorrow morning.
cn44
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:21 pm

With a month to teal and a little cool breeze this morning, we finally broke out the bumpers and started tuning up in fresh flooded rice stubbles.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:39 pm

this afternoon started off not so well belle didn't want to go to the back pile after identifying the pile like I normally do. so simplified and got her going straight again. sent her on a left over with out a bumper then the next send gave her a left over with out a verbal or a toss. sent her again and with bumper in mouth gave her a back cast. a few more sends to the back pile with a force on the second to last send, so all in all everything got better and tomorrow going to meet with a trainer for some marks and then back to the house for some more swim by. I have to say it is fun training but can not wait to be done with yard work so we can start putting everything together.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:46 pm

well the plans of working with the trainer fell through because of rain but Belle and I went and did swimby again this morning and she is getting better everyday slowly but getting there. then after lunch since I had today off went and ran some marks in the rain nothing to long because of the visibility and on each mark she got a diversion and then set up a winger and did a walk up with me shooting a popper and when I pulled the trigger she was a few feet in front of me so re heeled her then sent.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:49 pm

I hear you on the rain we are having the same problem here. We have a break in the weather right now so getting ready to head off to the farm for about and hour and get in some training.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Bella and I worked on thrown marks then introduced the dummy launcher last night. I started with her set in place at 50 yards and shot the bumper. She stayed steady and launched on the release command. After the retrieve I put her in place and moved to 20 yards and fired the bumper. No flinch, and she was steady until released. Since the sound was not bothering her we worked medium distance marks on open water then on land. Tonight will be more of the same.

Steady to shot at my side is not going to be an issue, and it looks like steady to shot at a distance will go well. Tonight of course could be an entirely different story.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum