What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:05 pm

Well I finally committed to it and started FF today. Kirby responded well after the first few ear pinches and seemed to get what I wanted. We did 3 15 minute sessions and he reacted pretty much the same until the last 5ish minutes of the 3rd session when he started to open his mouth when i grabbed his ear but before I pinched it.

Working hold he had a very calm mouth and didn't do any "mouthing" or chewing of the buck or bumper. Now that pressure was applied he has started to mouth/chew. I assume its just a little anxiety quirk that we will work through. I run a fun bumper after each session to get his spirits back up but only one as to not let him get sloppy with holds on his return.

Approximately how many ear pinches do those that have done FF do per session?. I have him hold for anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute or two after each pinch just so he doesn't expect to drop right away or hold for a long time. Give a little break after each pinch and hold.
cn44
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Well my brother was in town and got some chukars to work his gsp so I took one and weighted it down and let my 13 week old pup chase it. He did great and got real excited but just wanted to play with it and not bring it back but did ok. Thought well maybe he will get in the water for it as he hasn't really taken to the water real good yet. Took it down to the pond and tossed it about 15 feet in and Hoyt ran right in swam grabbed it and brought it back to the bank. Tossed it about 30 foot in and he ran right in and took off swimming. Gave him a break and let him have another chukar ended up doing 5 water retrieves.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21376702971.306011.jpg
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby The Green Mallard » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:44 am

My 5 month old pup and I have gone back to working on the basic "Here" command, since he is going through a stage where he pretends he doesn't know what it means. Knothead.

:no:
"If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one." -Andy Rooney
The Green Mallard
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:40 pm

worked on swim by today and it was a lot better today getting her to take casts both ways and then swim by me had to trick her a little by throwing a bumper for the right over then one to the back pile to get her looking straight then on the way out cast to the right bumper, then send to the back pile and give a right over cast with bumper in mouth and throw a bumper the right and when she gets to that bumper stop her and give her a left over and have her swim by me. remember hearing on a youtube video it is easier to trick a dog into doing what you want than forcing a dog to do what you want.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:10 pm

I didn't make it to the training pond this weekend. My bird boy backed out and without one I can't get the setups I was after.
So after finding out the wet way my Kayak didn't work for us. I bought us a small canoe and we went paddling around getting
use to it. She did great sat nice and still while we paddled into the tame ducks. One huge emperor goose I think was coming in for the attack! She told it where to go and it left but she never rocked the boat :thumbsup: Felt very comfortable and secure the whole time. Should work great for us in some of the puddle jumping we do. Went scouting for Elk too. This is going to be a fun year.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Worked OB and ran marks on land tonight. Decided to send the pup to the trainer for FF so it's done correctly and efficiently. After 3 days of it I felt I was just nagging the dog and not applying the correct amount if pressure at the right time. So in about two weeks he'll be headed to an experienced trainer. Good news is he's only half hour away so I'll be able to go train easily after he gets through FF and will be able to work with the trainer. Until then we'll be continuing OB work and running marks.
cn44
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:37 am

Off crutches and walking a little so back training. Introduced ground blind. She kenneled first command. Threw a a couple bumpers with her in it. Tonight going to put the layout blind beside her get in blow calls. Have my daughter throw ill shoot and let her retrieve through decoys. First time putting all the steps together for a simulated hunt. Stick with field setups a couple days and thenmove on to water retrieves in my pond. If all goes well shell be ready for her first retrieve Sept 1st with early goose season. Already told the wife she has to tag along with her fancy camera for some good shots on our first hunt.
Attachments
PicsArt_1376918699004.jpg
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Today was pretty good I would say just past the half way point with swimby. took the left over perfectly (with a bumper to identify where she was going) and then stopped her and gave her a right over and with a lot of attrition and a little indirect pressure she took the right over for almost 30yards out to sea (no land anywhere close so all she sees is a lot of water) but im hoping a few more sessions and we will be pretty much done with swim by. then the real training starts with water pattern blinds.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:24 am

Did some work on place and a few retrieves.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Bigpuddin43 wrote:Image

Did some work on place and a few retrieves.

"This is unfair!" "Why doesn't that flea bitten hound have to sit on a board like me?", she/he says!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Today we did some lineing drills and a few long run blinds.
Then paddled around in the boat for her to get use to it before it's loaded with waders,decoys and guns
Spry
Canoe Pearl 008.JPG
Last edited by Spry Yellowdog on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby mcclinj » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:09 am

Starting my GSP practicing duck searches for her NAVHDA Utility Test. I was pretty happy with her first one, she searched the whole pond, and stayed out there for about 15 minutes. A judge said he'd have given her a "4" for it (NAVHDA uses a 1-4 scale) She only quit when I called her in. I was getting a bit worried about her endurance as she'd been on the couch all summer with my wife while I was out of state.

-John
mcclinj
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 pm

I worked 5 month old Female lab pup(blossom) on water retrieves in the lake along with wave action to help her get use to not always having calm water to get ducks from, went good, had some 50 yard retrieves. I ended it on a happy note by getting in and swimming with her.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 pm

today got a little farther with the swim by really hard to get her to take a cast into open water but we are getting there. but right now she has the left over down but once we have the right over (out to open water) down we will run it a few times on the opposite bank to make sure the left and right overs are where they need to be. (can take a cast into open water) guessing it will be the beginning of next week before we are done.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Took Bella back to hold. She started cigarring every retrieve and mouthing the bumpers gently. A bit of a refresher and we should be back on track. I plan to take her out in the Aqua Pod and work her on water retrieves out of the pod this weekend.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Nothing here the past two days. Been sick and its all I can do to get to work and home can't east those valuable comp time hours on anything but hunting. Hoping to get some more work in before Sunday when early goose and dove season comes in. Might take him with me and just sit with me in the dove field. He is doing pretty good but don't want to rush him. He is only 4 months old and I haven't gotten to work him as much as I would have liked. Might see if he will do a retrieve if I drop one close.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:00 am

tuesday did the ABCD drill it was kind of a disaster but will work throught it from some advise that was given

but yesterday did swimby and wow the mechanics of it are really good left and right overs and swimming past me in either direction got a few back cast in really coming along going to run a couple more times from the other side of the cove and get make sure all the cast are correct (mostly out to open water on the left over) and then move to land and water pattern blinds and lining drills on the days we throw marks. hopefully everything is in place to run a few marks and a couple of cold blinds the week before our first test.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Working hard on steadying. She does perfect with no gun, but her drive is crazy with gunfire. Tryed rope and ecollar several days twice a day. Doesnt seem to phase her. She's launching upon shot fired. After 3 or 4 times each session shell sit there doing mini lunges. Hopefully it'll get better soon. Goose seasons almost here!!
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:35 pm

by passed swimby today to start a water pattern blind but mostly running water only a few places she had to swim but she is taking her cast really well just have to work on the whistle sit some more (kinda slow on the sit) but she did well started right next to the water and the first send she beached but took the cast and a couple more to get her to go in between the 2 small trees left of the little point and over a log and had to handle on each send but it was always a different spot but there where a few things she had to navigate also she never beached again but she did great.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Sounds like things are coming along great Bronco.
How old is your pup?
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:33 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:Sounds like things are coming along great Bronco.
How old is your pup?

just over 18months
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:07 am

Last Wed. evening we had a bit of a issue. I planted a bumper across a canel and back in the tall grasses about 10 feet.
Sent the mutt BACK,,,she swam the line, held the line onto land, sniffed the bumper and started following bird scent.
Whistled her back to the bumper. Fetched the bumper then spit it out and went sniffing again. Whistled her to me and resent her.
Same thing fetch the bumper then spit it out and went sniffing.....Ohhhhh we have a problem.
The next two evenings we revisited Force! Fetch and tight Obedience. No slack allowed!
This morning we got our bumper back, first try with no handling. Good to see the tools to fix the problem were in the tool box. :thumbsup:
Her attitude just needed a little adjustment. The rest of the morning was walking baseball and she was excellant.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:15 am

today did a mini ABCD drill today with just 3 stickmen the two long gunners were around 120yrds and the short gunner was around 75yrds only threw the long marks today to get used to running past and gunner and she acted like they were never there and carried great lines to each mark and with carrying great lines she stepped on each mark. I also did a 4 count in my head on each mark to make get her to focus on where each bird was landing so hoping that will help when we start to add the short gunner into the mix and she can focus and use her depth perception. also after running the 2 marks went to a different field and added a new pattern blind to the mix so we now have 2 blinds in one field and looking to add a couple more next week some are easy and some other will be close and others across a road and through some trees.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:18 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:Last Wed. evening we had a bit of a issue. I planted a bumper across a canel and back in the tall grasses about 10 feet.
Sent the mutt BACK,,,she swam the line, held the line onto land, sniffed the bumper and started following bird scent.
Whistled her back to the bumper. Fetched the bumper then spit it out and went sniffing again. Whistled her to me and resent her.
Same thing fetch the bumper then spit it out and went sniffing.....Ohhhhh we have a problem.
The next two evenings we revisited Force! Fetch and tight Obedience. No slack allowed!
This morning we got our bumper back, first try with no handling. Good to see the tools to fix the problem were in the tool box. :thumbsup:
Her attitude just needed a little adjustment. The rest of the morning was walking baseball and she was excellant.

Spry

always nice to have those tools I had to revisit hold and force fetch as well not to long ago Belle wanted to cigar and drop bumpers or dead fowl a lot. so just a little force and the last few days her mouth habits have really turned around.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:50 am

Did a few fetches and worked walking heal some. Had a problem with him not wanting to pick the bumper up so I got out a few old socks and made a soft bumper. I think he is loosing some teeth and his gums are a little sensitive. I tossed the socks and his excitement went thru the roof and raced out for it and brought it back. Not sure if its a gums issue or he just doesn't like the plastic bumper.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum