What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 pm

well today Belle and I didnt work on anything major but i did go play disc golf and let her off the leash so she could run around, and she loved it cause she just got to follow me around and we did have to do some major traversing up and down some hills and had to jump a few logs but she had fun sniffing everything.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby jerodN » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Today I ran a couple cold blinds that were about 75 yards out. Then did some long 200+ singles.
jerodN
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:10 pm

I walked my dog for two miles off leash at heel facing traffic going 45-50, with no sidewalk.

Bashtard had a choice. :lol3:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby UK Springer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:17 am

[urlhttp://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y346/abn1231/?action=view&current=013.jpg][/url]
UK Springer
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:24 am

UK Springer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:33 am

UK, look on the right of the page you linked, and you'll see a "links" box, at the bottom of which is one labled "IMG". If you click on it, it copies and can be pasted directly into most message board reply boxes. That same link box will, btw, also pop up if you simply move your cursor onto a photo in your album, without clicking on the photo, and can be copied and pasted in the same manner.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:35 am

UK Springer
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:36 am

Well I finally got it.We worked on place.
UK Springer
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:44 am

UK - what year is that boat? Looks like it's in good shape.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Phild » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:53 am

Well this morning I had to give myself a big ole fist pump. It was the first time Gauge (11 weeks) sat in front of her food the entire time and did not move until released. We have been working on this for two weeks and she finally got it so as a reward we went for a nice long walk and watched the geese on the ice. I opted out of the walking in traffic for today.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 am

Phild wrote:I opted out of the walking in traffic for today.
Later
Phil

Discretion is the better part of valor on the traffic deal. Just my personal thing about rarely if ever using a slip lead and we don't own a leash. Dog heels left so more chance he'll bump me into a car than get run over himself. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby go get the bird » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:02 am

Do you train them to heel at both sides, or just your left?

Do you use the same word for both sides? I know it's something small, but I've been trying to figure out if HEEL should only mean COME TO MY LEFT SIDE.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:14 am

go get the bird wrote:Do you train them to heel at both sides, or just your left?

Do you use the same word for both sides? I know it's something small, but I've been trying to figure out if HEEL should only mean COME TO MY LEFT SIDE.

I hard coded left only early on and later, when deciding two-sided might be nice,...found out how hard coded my work had been.

I opted to save my time for other battles.

Next dog I probably would go two sided because there is no downside and it's easy to teach young.

If teaching both sides I would opt for two different words and use non-verbal queues just to avoid any confusion.

Either way in the end the ongoing command ends up whittled down to grunts and gestures.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:25 am

HNTFSH wrote:
go get the bird wrote:Do you train them to heel at both sides, or just your left?

I hard coded left only early on and later, when deciding two-sided might be nice,...found out how hard coded my work had been.

I opted to save my time for other battles.

:lol3:
I decide to do the same thing HNTFSH, just for ther sake of trying it. It worked out ok with the yella' dog. As you mentioned subtle gestures cue the dog as to which side, and the dog eventually learns "if I'm approaching him from that side, HEEL on that side.

I don't really care, honestly, with the exception for the easier way for the dog to mark off of the gun, (depending if you're a lefty or a righty), as long as the dog HEELS from whatever direction he approaches from.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby christian.noel » Wed May 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Went out today with my 8 week old yellow lab female Dakota. Worked on a few retrieves and introduced duck wings to her today as well. Took her out on Monday and was retrieving excellent. Pulled out the wing and she was kind of timid. Tried amping her up and nothing could get her to fetch it. She just smelled it and carried on. Gave her a day off yesterday and when I took her out today started with the paint roller after about 4 or 5 retrieves, pulled out the duck win.g Amped her up by rubbing it in her nose, blew the duck call, threw the wing and there she went. Retrieving like a champ. So proud of her. :grooving:
christian.noel
hunter

Postby plumgold1 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Worked on Having fun.
Attachments
jj.jpg
You Beretta Believe it

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116606

"We May Be Young......But We'll Pull Your Birds" - Cupped Addiction
plumgold1
hunter

Postby NTXduckhunts » Wed May 16, 2012 3:00 pm

He took the day off and went looking for "Fun"
02-08-09_1609.jpg
NTXduckhunts
hunter

Postby labman63 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:58 pm

I would guess she worked on her sleeping. She's in the house in a crate and I'm at work. She'll do some fetching and retrieving in the house when I get home them have a WWE smakdown on the big golden retriever for a few hrs then back in the crate for a good nights sleep. I have one more day of day shift then i'm either off or on nights for the next 3 weeks. gonna hit the water for some water work and some short land marks. That's just the pup,the big dogs gonna get live flyers saturday and water blinds. The rest of the next week will be several HT setups getting ready for the last test of the spring.
labman63
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed May 16, 2012 7:30 pm

NTXduckhunts wrote:He took the day off and went looking for "Fun"
02-08-09_1609.jpg

This reminds me of a product called "Doggles" that I saw in a pet supply catalog I got a couple weeks ago, funniest things I've ever seen.

Waiting for my pup to get back from training with Labtrainer so I can start training myself to continue training. Still have a long ways to go but have all summer to get there before early goose!
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Thu May 17, 2012 6:13 am

Resistance and endourance training and then later cold blinds
UK Springer
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Sun May 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Great training day today with two great friends.
We set up a double T on land with the left side piles/casts were through a short grass/hedge row.
Ran the older dogs on this and then got the pups out for some marks in the stubble and un cut grass.
Then we moved to water and stayed with the double T theme, everyone of the dogs popped when they hit the water :huh: some were severe, others just a quick check back look, then moving out to deeper water where they were handled to the birds. One dog will run T's , ladder drills, etc on land all day long but when he hits water ......POP big time!!!!!! worked thru it and made some limited progress, ended with him finding a bumper that had drifted into the reeds. Success!
Then it was puppy time again!!!!! Both Timber and Reload made multiple swimming retrieves out as far as I could throw the puppy bumpers.....They are both doing great!!!! really happy with progress so far :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
(guess I've gotta break down and get a new digital camera, the old one bit the dust)
Last edited by labtrainer on Mon May 21, 2012 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sun May 20, 2012 11:26 pm

We took Sassy out in the boat for the first time yesterday. Wow! This pup is fearless. She has even learned how to get up on the pods and back into the boat. If Amy wasn't holding her I think she would have jumped out at 50 mph. We stopped on a little island to let her pee and it was in and out of the boat. She would jump off the side and swim to shore then swim back out and climb up on the pod then do it again. Gonna have a water entry just like momma.
labman63
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Mon May 21, 2012 7:50 am

We took a day off yesterday and went to the beach for my pups first time. He took straight to the ocean only to find a big ole wave waiting for him. Had a good time tho.
Attachments
IMAG0596.jpg
IMAG0595.jpg
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue May 22, 2012 9:22 am

Well it was May long weekend that just passed here and it is camping season so Gauge had just about the entire weekend off. There were 5 other dogs in the camping group all different breeds so she go to do alot of dog socialization and playing. We also had enough warm weather that everytime she went to the lake she could go for a swim. After the first couple of times I seen she was doing good I pulled out the bumper and off we went. I had fears that I might lose it in the lake because up to this point she had only swam on her own for a few short seconds and I did not really know where she stopped touching bottom.

Glad to say that she took to it like white on rice and had not problems swimming out to get the bumper and by the end of the weekend she was even hitting the water and swimming out in the deep on her own around in circles. As someone said "I have a hard time keeping my lab out of the water" I guess my fears are all behind me now.

I do think she may have picked up a few bad habbits while camping with so many kids around and playing with them, everyone wanted to throw something for her.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:14 am

Went to the lake and worked on some long marks and then moved into the duck search for his upcoming NAVHDA UT test. Got out to some 60-80 yard straight lines with no bumper and searched great. Now I just need to get this happening every time. Was a good day.
Jarbo03
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum