What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:41 pm

We are revisiting Pile Work then moving on to some small 3 handed casting like shown in TRT.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 pm

couple of marks and the last one she didn't see but cant blame her it was getting dark and there was a ton of road noise next to us. and finished with a couple of season level blinds which she nailed but have to get her looking at me instead of trying to wind the blind and be self employed.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:29 am

We have still been working on real life hunting situations. So far 22 retrieves and only 2 easy ones, splashed in water dead.
We have had swimmers, long gliders into cover across water. 3 blinds of other peoples ducks there house pet won't go for.
So far not a lost bird :thumbsup: Even some comments from others WOW, nice trained dog...who trained it? :biggrin:
Heres the But...I see she must be right pawed, her back casts are starting to get a hook to the right at about 40 yards out.
Her drive to the bird is so strong her whistle sits sometimes become a whistle rotate to me for the cast. I had to stop hunting
with a buddy because his dog breaks to the shot so bad and mine was picking up on that. We nipped that crap quick. Her blind manners make me happy. No noise, no movement just watching the sky quietly waiting for her time. So far pretty happy and taking
notes of what we need to work on in training.

Spry and my Muddy Pearl
11-20-12 047.JPG
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:16 pm

very nice spry!

been getting a lot of cast refusals lately so went back to modified single t where the overs were around 50 yards from the line and really starting to see she was confused for some reason but her left over is pretty good but the right over im having to give a strong verbal over to get her to take the cast but the right back left back and left over a pretty solid. ended belles day with some marks the first set up I did was a reverse hip pocket but run as singles and at hunt test distances (short gun was around 60 yards the long marks was around 115 yards) put her up and moved the wingers around and threw a double and one of the marks was a breaking/wipe out bird the handled the wipe out bird pretty good dropped her head like she was going to go but didn't had a little trouble with the long memory bird but whistle in and a short left over cast put her right on it.

tomorrow meeting up with a training group that is getting ready for a local AKC test next weekend but will be nice to get her into a test like environment where I can correct her and try and get the happy feet under control. tomorrow if she moves she is getting put up for a little bit.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Season opens tomorrow, and we've not done any training since before September teal, so we did some walking baseball and a few blinds to make sure steering and brakes were still up to snuff. Which seems the case.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Season opens tomorrow, and we've not done any training since before September teal, so we did some walking baseball and a few blinds to make sure steering and brakes were still up to snuff. Which seems the case.

from what I have seen the gas almost always work but sometimes the vacuum line on the break booster comes loose and doesn't want to work and you have to pump the breaks pretty hard.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:32 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:Season opens tomorrow, and we've not done any training since before September teal, so we did some walking baseball and a few blinds to make sure steering and brakes were still up to snuff. Which seems the case.

from what I have seen the gas almost always work but sometimes the vacuum line on the break booster comes loose and doesn't want to work and you have to pump the breaks pretty hard.

LOL so true
I have found electric brakes to be reliable......

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 pm

nice day of training with a bunch of people had two guys unload a guns while one mark was being thrown trying to get a breaking correction but she did really well and did the same on the second mark and again perfect. land blind had a little trouble but nothing horrible but still have work to do.

went to water ran our first cold water blind and need work but got there and stepped on the double. all in all a good day and hope to have a nice steady dog for the up coming season.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Today we did our first lessons in pheasant hunting. She learned 3 things, They smell good, They run fast, before and after being shot
sometimes, And crash land in the nastyiest places. Fun watching her scent them and go crazy tracking. Did ok for our first time.
3 flushes,2 retrieves. And yup I missed one :rolleyes:

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Pepper1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:31 am

Today we worked on Pepper staying in the dog box while I roam around, perhaps putting deeks out etc. He did well. He is so pshyco !!! He needs restraint !
Pepper1
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:55 pm

this morning worked on some diversion blinds on the pattern blind field and think it is time to start working on some new places cause she is lining the blind after she picks up a mark with the winger being on either side of the line of the blind but still have to work on some casting drills so next week going to work on some walking baseball and work on the right over cast and also some lining drills (would do some BB blinds but I don't have a lot of help right now so just me and the pup)

this afternoon worked on some force to water again in a new place and pretty sure she has the idea of going and hitting the water hard now it is on to working on casting again and making sure she fully understands how to take a cast in water. cause yesterday when we ran the water blind I got a lot of scalloping on the very short casts I was giving.

so now back to just short sessions in the afternoon but this weekend was a good weekend of training for both myself and Belle. and almost ready for duck season got a dog that will pick up and thing she sees good down and with the few birds we get here I don't think she will have a problem.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:41 pm

did a little walking baseball today she did really well with taking cast we worked on taking a right over cast more than anything also got my dad out a little (he had a stoke about 2 months ago so it was mostly to get him out of the house) but afterwards let him run belle and he had no idea what he was doing. I had to get her to heel next to him and I would walk out and throw the mark and he would release her (took a couple of times for her to understand that he wanted her to release on her name cause he was being quiet with her) but feel like at least one of the 3 living things that were there training had fun and learned something.

also my plan is to get my dad a little more involved with running belle cause I know he cant shoot a shotgun but some of the places we go and hunt he could run belle and still get to go duck hunting with us and be active in the hunt.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Hunted this morning. Can't get much better training than that. Two triples and a double for a ten month old pup. On the double the first bird was a cripple that coasted 200 yards before it landed. He chased it down and brought it back then nailed the 30 yard memory bird.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:59 am

Bronco sounds like belle is ready. A few more training days with dad and he will be to. You should have some awesome hunts watching those two work while you shoot. Good on you for getting dad involved :thumbsup:

44 isn't it great watching all the work pay off when the pup knows there job. Good for you two!

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:42 pm

today after about a week of working on casting I figured I would try and see if anything sank in so ran a 3 different cold blinds from 3 different lines and it wasn't bad but it was not good only collar pressure is whistle refusal. all her casts started well but then she wanted to scallop so as soon as I saw the scallop I would stop and give the same cast. she had a harder time with the backs than the overs cause she would run about 15 yards then start to scallop to where she thought the bird was. this is what It looked like in a very featureless field and the shortest blind was around 85yards I would guess

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Trying work on remote sits. Used one of those silver corkscrew tie out stakes and ran a rope through it so I can sit dog, whistle him in a little hit him with a SIT whistle SIT and give tension on the rope to stop him and sit.

If anyone else has any tips for doing this please share.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Todays lessons were in field goose hunting is a snow storm. Lessons included staying in your blind out of sight and to keep warm.
She did this very well being away from me a ways. #2 Staying in blind when geese crash down in front of her. #3 retrieve said goose
when her name was called. She brought the goose back but didn't lift it to my hand. Kinda dragged it and dropped it at my feet. I
figured close enough. Had one goose glide and land about 3 fields over and on our way driving home we checked the area we thought it was. Saw it sitting in the middle of a snow covered plowed field, head was up. So I sent the Pearl out to see if she could
recover it.She held a pretty good line to about 125 yards then started her hook to the right. Whistle stopped her corrected left then
back again. When she was about 40 yards from it, It stood up and started running and flapping. It caught air right as she got on it, she tryed a leaping sky recovery but missed it. Once it made it over the next fence line I had to whistle her in. it kept flying low but we lost the goose. We gave it our best shot and hate losing one but it happens sometimes. Over all very pleased with her performance today.
Out past 100 yards or so she has a hard time seeing my casts when i'm in camo. She just sits there waiting like OK dad which way?
I really have to exaggerate my cast motions. I'm not wearing a white hat to use. Any suggestions?
And I have to find a way to get this hooking on a line straightened out.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:06 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:Todays lessons were in field goose hunting is a snow storm. Lessons included staying in your blind out of sight and to keep warm.
She did this very well being away from me a ways. #2 Staying in blind when geese crash down in front of her. #3 retrieve said goose
when her name was called. She brought the goose back but didn't lift it to my hand. Kinda dragged it and dropped it at my feet. I
figured close enough. Had one goose glide and land about 3 fields over and on our way driving home we checked the area we thought it was. Saw it sitting in the middle of a snow covered plowed field, head was up. So I sent the Pearl out to see if she could
recover it.She held a pretty good line to about 125 yards then started her hook to the right. Whistle stopped her corrected left then
back again. When she was about 40 yards from it, It stood up and started running and flapping. It caught air right as she got on it, she tryed a leaping sky recovery but missed it. Once it made it over the next fence line I had to whistle her in. it kept flying low but we lost the goose. We gave it our best shot and hate losing one but it happens sometimes. Over all very pleased with her performance today.
Out past 100 yards or so she has a hard time seeing my casts when i'm in camo. She just sits there waiting like OK dad which way?
I really have to exaggerate my cast motions. I'm not wearing a white hat to use. Any suggestions?
And I have to find a way to get this hooking on a line straightened out.

Spry

have a suggestion not sure it would work in a snow storm but put socks on your hands they are quick and easy to put on and take up very little space when you don't need them.

today after a couple more days of running cold blinds belle has started to figure out each cast I gets her closer to bird and is really starting to take them a lot better. but today was a mark then a blind about 50 yards away from the area of the fall so it had a little influence on the initial line cause we wanted to go that away. but picked up the blind with only a few scallops put her up moved the winger and the blind and she had some issues on the blind (she doesn't like the thorny bushes in her feet) but one we got past that hurdle it was smooth sailing and to finish the day threw a mark and a diversion on the way back from the mark
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks bronco.
I may look like a goon out there but sure going to try it. :thumbsup:

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote:Thanks bronco.
I may look like a goon out there but sure going to try it. :thumbsup:

Spry

never hurts to try it big white mitts will help your pup see the cast and I would try it in training first so she knows what to look for or the pup may give you the why do you have socks on your hands when they should be on your feet look.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:08 pm

We went pheasant hunting today. Performed really well and Kirby is starting to catch on to the game.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:12 pm

with duck season less than 5 and a half days away I really need a dog that can run a water blind so I will be working hard this week to make sure we can do a decent water blind if needed but will bring rocks to help.

today worked on taking a back cast into water and a back cast in water she understands what I want but sometimes want to go retard on me play used very little collar pressure today using attrition and normally took one verbal correction to get what I wanted but I told myself if I had to go past 2 verbal corrections she would get nice correction but we never got that far so all in all a good day tomorrow will be the same but might add a couple of over casts in the mix.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:44 am

Bronco, duck season hasn't even started for you yet?! Where are you, we only have 2 weeks left of duck season in the southern zone of MN!
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:47 am

cn44 wrote:Bronco, duck season hasn't even started for you yet?! Where are you, we only have 2 weeks left of duck season in the southern zone of MN!

im in GA it starts sat the 23rd and runs till the last weekend of january
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:42 am

The Swans are here now. Should be fun seeing the Pearls reaction to a bird as big as she is.
Our season started 10/5 runs till Jan. 107 days long, still time for more retrieves.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum