What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:02 am

yesterday did alot of the same thing as the day before but add a right over in the mix. pretty sure she is about to come into heat cause she was acting very funny wanted to play alot but one big no here and she was back to do what she needed to do. almost might be bord of going to the same spot so will try a couple of shorter cold blinds tonight and see what she knows and how bad they are but she might surpise me.

to be honest i am tired of yard work so i can only imagine she is to.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:27 pm

today was the last day of training for belle before the season opener went to a new spot and since we were in water I sat belle to where she could not see me place 3 bumpers in the water all in different spots nothing long maybe 40 yards. she lined 2 of them and the 3rd she took a wrong line and when she got in the water gave her a whistle and to my surprise took almost a 20yard over and started to dig back with in 5 yards of the bumper saw it and picked it up (yes horrible initial line) but cant say it was a bad day training even though it was short but I think I may have a dog that can pick up some birds that she forgot where they are. nothing amazing but hoping that if we do have to run any easy blinds it will get her to really enjoy water blinds and farther our training.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Now that our duck and goose season is pretty much over we're starting to hit the pheasant fields a lot. That's where Kirby is getting most of his marks. In the yard we are still trying to get that sit coming in from a pile down. I need to move the pile in close so I can control him better on his way in.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:59 am

sat when hunting so not much training there. yesterday didnt have alot of time but starting to move land marks and blinds closer together (have done some diversion marks on the pattern blind field) had about 60 yards of seperation between the mark and the blind. ran the blind then the mark then the blind again. the second time we ran the blind her inital line was horrible (wanted to pick up the mark) so a big "no here" and back on track. going to try and start mixing i water work one day and land work the next and try and get the water work buttoned up.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:35 am

Unfortunately we lost her first duck of Pearls retrieving career.
Wing tipped bird went down in a distant pond and I saw it swim into the phragmite.
We hiked over and waded to the waters edge, lined up the pearl and sent her back on a 100 yard swim. took it beautifully.
She searched the edge and into the phrag for few minutes then looked back at me. I whistled to come in. She refused and went back in. I whistled and nicked this time and she came swimming back.
We then hiked around the pond and sent her in from the other side of the phrag. As shes searching I see the duck come out the other side swimming to where we just came from. The Pearl hot on it's ass. Never seen her so determined and swimming so fast.
5 feet from the weed line it dived under. Never to be seen again. She worked the area land and water for 5 minutes and I had to call her in. This time she came right in. She didn't want to stop. I had to give it up and shoot another to get her mind off of it. Didn't matter she kept raising her nose to the breeze trying to catch scent. Sad to lose one but learned a lot in this.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:03 pm

New puppy we got on Friday. She is a Weim Lab mix. A friend had an oops litter and give me first pick. So I took the silver female and she has a nice coat with silver down and darker guard hairs.

We have been working on sit and come. We also went out to the trap range on Saturday and she was pretty good about the gunfire. Right now at almost 8 weeks old she is resting quite a bit and has been nice to have. We will see what my opinion is in a few weeks. A few days before I picked her up I took a duck wing and let her play with it. I was pleased when she picked it up and came back in my direction. :biggrin:

Anyways, back and the starting block. I hope this goes well.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:58 pm

today didn't have a lot of day light when I got home but set up a shorter water blind as a pattern blind and again as usual I figured a way to screw it up. the out to the blind was fine had to work alittle on the casting cause she wanted to cheat a little. but where I placed the blind was hard to keep her from not cheating on the way back because I couldn't stop her can cast her back into the water cause I couldn't see her. only ran the blind a couple of times cause after thinking about it I didn't want to encourage cheating on the way back when we are trying to teach the straight line out and back.

tomorrow is rain all day so not sure what I will do for training but going to get something in cause we to work on running in the rain if we are hunting or at a test cause I don't want weather to be a factor to deal with.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Working on simple casting and still working on that sit coming in from a pile.
cn44
hunter

Postby williamp » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:53 pm

labtrainer wrote:Client dog #1 Desiel, Great Dane...working on general OB, emphsizeing Heeling with "0" pulling (dog belongs to older woman)
Client dog #2 Koda, Chlt. Lab....Formal OB, with some early marking drills.
Client dog #3 Maggie, BLab.... FF
Client dog #4 Toby, B Lab.....Force to pile, Ladder drills
My own dogs:
Gunner SH, BLab.....Triples, Blinds, and polishing walk ups, preparing for Master HT
Woody JH, BLab.....Doubles, Steadiness, Blinds , introducing walk ups for SR Tests
Dawn, BLab.....Marking, Delivery to hand (might try a JH Test if she does not come into heat)
Timber, BLab (puppy) no biting, no chewing, no pee/poop in the house, no barking, no whinning, other than that............... exploring, intro to gunfire, birds, playing along the waters edge (a little cold still) chaseing fallen leaves, taking naps on the front seat of the truck, play retrieves, walking on leash, learning to Sit and wait for meals, learning her name and to come when called , etc. etc. most importantly learning that "dad" is the greatest thing going!!!!!!
Oh yeah, Tucker YLb (the goofball) trying to still teach him not to clear the coffee table with his Tail of steel! :lol3:
All in all not too bad, still have 2 empty runs to fill, We'll do it all again tommorrow. :thumbsup:

What is your method of training delivery to hand? I have a 1.3 yr old choc that is slowly dropping the retrieve farther away, (3-6 ft. )
williamp
Newb

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Today meet up with mine/belles trainer started with some mini t went ok worked on a few things. Next some honoring/steadying drills 3 dogs 3 marks from the same place belle was perfect didn't hardly move a muscle. And last ran some pattern blinds and that is when the retard handler came out. After the second blind I turned to Danny and told him I have no earthy idea what one doing and as the nice trainer will say you got to start somewhere. Nice day of training and feel like belle and I both learned a lot today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:43 pm

went and meet with our trainer started with some single marks the first was square to a ditch the second was an angled entry to the ditch and the third was landing just behind the crest of a hill. every dog slammed the marks. then we moved around and set up a pattern blind the whistle sits have become even better than I thought they would ever get to (a lot of collar corrections have helped) and casts are getting better her blind attitude has improved as well starts slow but about 10 yards out she is moving quickly.

after we finished with the pro went to the fish ponds and did a little pile work in the water 6 bumpers let her swim to most of them but did stop and get a left and right back. so it was a nice day of training and I have a worn out pup after that.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Very glad to hear this Benjamin! Keep up the good work.

We just ran marks this morning. Nothing over the top. Just two double retired triples...land, then a water series. Happy with the land...he smoked that. Water was just okay, with a picky handle on the long retired due to a square. He did check nicely into the short retired.

We're going to back off this coming week and do therapy marks. Just easy singles with minimal factors while upholding our standards.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:50 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:Very glad to hear this Benjamin! Keep up the good work.

We just ran marks this morning. Nothing over the top. Just two double retired triples...land, then a water series. Happy with the land...he smoked that. Water was just okay, with a picky handle on the long retired due to a square. He did check nicely into the short retired.

We're going to back off this coming week and do therapy marks. Just easy singles with minimal factors while upholding our standards.

guessing you will be running a trial this weekend?

and thanks thought we were on the right track and we are somewhat on the right track but my standards are going to have to be higher than i thought but i think she and can handle it.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Before I headed out today journey and I played in the snow that was falling and worked on distance commands. Also worked on his counting and parlor tricks haha

Minneguy
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:01 am

see how well belle was handleing yesterday decieded to do a diversion blind in a new spot it went pretty good the blind was around 100 yards long and the mark was around 60 yards thrown right to left. it went ok ran the blind first got her confident about it then threw the mark let her pick it up. next the blind took a little work to get her lined up but as soon as i did she would line it. i was watching her really hard for any deviation of the line to stop her and get a cast in. she did really well but learning i need to work on some lining drills some more and start some more advanced casting drills.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:24 pm

lining drills today I hate the stupid time change took 3 mins to set up and got maybe 15mins of work in before it was getting almost to dark to see. wanted to do a little walking baseball but.

also someone is coming into heat so thinking im going to work on lining drills, walking baseball, advanced casting and marks until she is out of heat.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:42 pm

It's dark here to when I get home and with snow on the ground all we can work on is short lines to buried bumpers.
But she is learning her hunt it up command and using her nose to it's fullest upon the command. I do see improving nose work and understanding of the new concept.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:00 pm

today worked on some advanced casting she did really well we just had two piles out the left angled back and right angled back. next time I will make it a little more complicated but not much with 2 piles one for a straight back and one for a right or left angled back. also wont give her a right angled back and then a right straight back or vice versa.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Had a fun day on a miserable weather forcast by picking up pheasants for a Tower Pheasant Shoot. The sponsors of the shoot asked our retriever club to do the dog work and we had 8 of the guys bring their dogs. They shot 300 pheasants in the morning and 300 in the afternoon, so the dawgs got some great work.....50 pheasants each, plus or minus. The cool weather made it as easy on the dogs as possible. Everybody had a good time!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby GurrCentral » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 pm

I got my pup on saturday, so this morning we had some fun, worked on going outside to wiz, and some here/sit. yesterday he had a ball chasing a pair of rolled up socks, even got a retrieve! Going to give it a couple days, introduce throwing a toy again, work into the retrieving very slow, and have fun!!
GurrCentral
Newb

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:29 pm

GurrCentral wrote:I got my pup on saturday, so this morning we had some fun, worked on going outside to wiz, and some here/sit. yesterday he had a ball chasing a pair of rolled up socks, even got a retrieve! Going to give it a couple days, introduce throwing a toy again, work into the retrieving very slow, and have fun!!

Sent you a pm
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:26 am

tenfingergrip wrote:Had a fun day on a miserable weather forcast by picking up pheasants for a Tower Pheasant Shoot. The sponsors of the shoot asked our retriever club to do the dog work and we had 8 of the guys bring their dogs. They shot 300 pheasants in the morning and 300 in the afternoon, so the dawgs got some great work.....50 pheasants each, plus or minus. The cool weather made it as easy on the dogs as possible. Everybody had a good time!

Sounds like a blast ! Any pictures???

Minneguy
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:24 am

yesterday did a little bit of walking baseball before it got to dark to see.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:02 am

yesterday did some more advacned casting 3 piles 10 yards between each pile with belle about 20 yards from the piles. she is slowing starting to get the advanced casting in combonation with the straight backs. had to make a couple of corrections for wanting to go straight back instead of the angled back or vice versa but a hard no here and reset and at the end of the lesson was really starting to understand what i was asking her.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:15 am

this weekend was pretty good for belle

friday meet with our trainer and ran some marks started with some singles. then ran the single marks as a triple she and i both messed up. she was headed to the go bird but then swung over and picked up the second bird. and after that had to handle to the other 2 marks. then moved to a different location and some more singles and run them as a triple later and she did fine.

sat when hunting and she is starting to see birds long before they even get to the decoys. had alot of birds working but not many commiting but a couple of small groups did and she got to pick up 2 more wood ducks bringing her total to 7 for the season and she had one of the longest hunting retrieves to date of around 60yards. she is starting to steady herself up more and more watch the guns and where they are pointing sitting for long periods of time think by the end of the season she will have figured the game out.
krazybronco2
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum