What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:59 pm

yesterday not a lot of time but did some mini t. mostly to get some work on some overs. mostly a right over that is her weakest cast.

this morning ran some marks and did a mama papa set up ran it as singles first then ran a short blind well outside of the marks then ran the marks again as a double and the blind again (the second time the blind was run on a very tight line). this afternoon just some 8 bumper wagon wheel (lining drill) and got more work to do with the lining drills and get her going for the first 25 yards nice and straight.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Did some pile work today. Still working on the sit while coming in from the pile. Sit going out he is good on. Have been working him on sitting away from me and he does fine. Its just when he is coming in from a pile he doesn't want to stop. Haven't been able to train daily as I would like with the weather we have been having, negative degree days with 30 plus MPH winds are hell to be out in, and snow drifting.
cn44
hunter

What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:09 am

This morning did a little teaching set up. With marks and blinds cause she is really starting to handle well. The marks are around 70-75 yards and 20 yards off the line of the blind. The blind was around 125yards. Ran the blind first. Then throw the marks and pick it up. Run the blind. Then the mark again pick it up and run the blind again.

She did really good the initial blind I think she did in 4 whistles. The second blind was ok I should have given her an over instead of and angled back cast but she got there. The third time we ran the blind she took a horrible initial line so brought her back then she lined it.

Think we got a lot accomplished with this little set up and her blind attitude is getting a lot better charging hard off the line like it was a mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Started getting a good consistent sit going out and coming in. Moved on to T work. Started with back pile about 20 yards and overs 10 yards off the line. Went really well. So next session I stretched it out and ran a 50 yard back pile and 20 yard overs. Went well until some confusion set in so we moved up about 20 yards so back pile was 30 yards and it tightened up quite a bit. Went pheasant hunting this morning so he'll get the day off from training and we'll be back at it tomorrow.
cn44
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Strong crosswind watermarks. Order: r to l. Short (1R) and middle (2R) bird retired at handlers option. Distances....1R 140, 2R 310, 3 280.

One dog did it clean. The rest learned to fight the wind better.

CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby GurrCentral » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:59 am

Pup is ten weeks old tomorrow morning. Today we worked on a little longer throws of the bumper. Trying to get his eyes in tune with following marks. Also, basic obedience, like everyday! Sessions around 15 minutes.
GurrCentral
Newb

Postby cn44 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:15 am

Today's plan. Run a long FTP session (100 yards) where we do our T for our first session of the day then we'll come out and run T in that spot later.
cn44
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:53 am

Been lining to a pile on our T and TT field. Too much snow right now to clear an area for T and TT but our straight back pile is do-able. Definitely ready to move on to full T but weather is hampering that. Able to run some mini T so we do that once in a while too. I'm ready for some nice weather to get rid of all this white stuff.
cn44
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Sit stay in the spear house. And retrieving a frozen northern from the next house over lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:36 pm

We have been hunting every chance we get. But the freezing cold weather has pushed most our ducks out so retrieves are few and far between. So this weekend I decided to set up a diversion course in my pasture out of snow. Only thing I could think of to do with the stuff. Using the tractor I cleared a trail 40 yards and heaped the snow at the end with the loader. She has to go over a 6 foot mound to get to the pile. I then cut two trails at 45 degrees off the center of the main trail out another 20 yards with mounds at the ends. Kinda a big Y in the field. Practicing whistle stops and angle backs, left and right rotation backs from hand signals. In the white snow we can do it later into the dark as long as I wear black gloves and don't freeze to death. Also helping regain some of the lost OB we have incountered hunting so much.
Lame I know but it keeps us moving.
On christmas day I took her for a walk in the marsh and knocked down a greenwing. Landed in water right on the edge of the ice.
Sent the Pearl she swam right to it and about a foot away it took off and flew right at me. I got it on video and that look she gave me as it flew...WTH dad!!! She learned something new. I saw it land so I whistled her in lined her up and sent. Had my christmas gift in hand a few minutes later.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby kburg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Just picked my 8 week old chocolate up yesterday afternoon. Pretty much just getting him used to the new place. Tried to get him used to me throwing his new toys and him going after them but that didnt last long. He was too interested in all the new sounds and smells. Might work on that agian tonite but mainly just letting him get adusted for a few days.
kburg
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:39 pm

With -10 temps today we ran a session of lining to the pile just to get some exercise and keep the focus and standards up. Not using much force any more as we are ready to move on to TT but can't with the amount of snow around. As long as the pup keeps a good attitude we will probably do this a few times a week. Plan on running in the Hunter's Special of a clubs monthly trial this weekend. Hopefully it goes well, we haven't gotten much marking work done either.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:12 pm

cn44 wrote:With -10 temps today we ran a session of lining to the pile just to get some exercise and keep the focus and standards up. Not using much force any more as we are ready to move on to TT but can't with the amount of snow around. As long as the pup keeps a good attitude we will probably do this a few times a week. Plan on running in the Hunter's Special of a clubs monthly trial this weekend. Hopefully it goes well, we haven't gotten much marking work done either.

we should be fine got to just make sure the dog see the marks and let them do the rest I know mine knows where the marks are better than I do half the time.

but for Belle and I we have been working really hard on blinds did some work with our trainer and she was with him for a couple of days. did some really good marking stuff with him and some sight blinds to build some confidence on some blinds. tomorrow some sight blinds and some water marks since we have not see a lot of water marks lately.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:54 pm

today did some sight blinds and her momentum is building a lot more maybe a few more tomorrow afternoon and sunday but going to try and increase the difficulty with them maybe and angle entry on a road, a side hill, and maybe a ditch.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:33 pm

yesterday went hunting and belle did great for not picking up anything (didn't see hardly anything) sat quietly I did water swat a duck at shooting time but only crippled it and belle chased it for about 2-3 mins but it dove and latched on to something under the water. she didn't want to come back in cause she thought it was still there but she did handle the cold water quite well to my surprise. then we went scouting around looking for birds and she had a blast just running around in the woods smelling everything but did work on a little control with her when we got close to water so she wouldn't scare anything up when we were looking.

about to head out and see if I can find some birds and maybe do some dove hunting haven't exactly decieded.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Didn't do anything yesterday or today or tomorrow. -15 today and a high of -21 tomorrow. That's a little to cold for my liking. Ready to get some nice weather or head south.
cn44
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Two in-line triples (double retired) and a double land blind with angled ditch crossings clipping the backside of a gun station holding a bucket of birds.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:49 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:Two in-line triples (double retired) and a double land blind with angled ditch crossings clipping the backside of a gun station holding a bucket of birds.

that bucket of birds is just cruel and unusual punishment.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby GurrCentral » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:07 pm

Yesterday introduced my 11 wk old pup to real birds (dead). He retrieved a chukar and a pigeon. He is really birdy!! Had him do about 4-5 retrieves for two short sessions!! Today worked on obedience, then some more retrieving tomorrow!
GurrCentral
Newb

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:20 pm

meet with a local pro today and did some pattern blind work on a field that has some cut strips with some short cover (can tell the difference in the cut from the cover) and had to run each blind about 3 times before she would start taking a good inital line and not cheat the cover. and first time i ran her (really windy) had a camo jacket on the second time threw on a cheap white coat (got a white hoodie from walmart for $10) from the suggestion of someone and man it was almost like night and day in her taking a cast (could have been from running the same blinds before) but like someone suggested to me if you are teaching something wear a white coat dog can just plain see you better. even the trainer i was training with noticed his dogs took better cast when he threw on his white coat (put his on after he some me with mine on)
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:50 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
CatSquirrel wrote:Two in-line triples (double retired) and a double land blind with angled ditch crossings clipping the backside of a gun station holding a bucket of birds.

that bucket of birds is just cruel and unusual punishment.

Full flyer crates would have been better. ;-)
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:54 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:meet with a local pro today and did some pattern blind work on a field that has some cut strips with some short cover (can tell the difference in the cut from the cover) and had to run each blind about 3 times before she would start taking a good inital line and not cheat the cover. and first time i ran her (really windy) had a camo jacket on the second time threw on a cheap white coat (got a white hoodie from walmart for $10) from the suggestion of someone and man it was almost like night and day in her taking a cast (could have been from running the same blinds before) but like someone suggested to me if you are teaching something wear a white coat dog can just plain see you better. even the trainer i was training with noticed his dogs took better cast when he threw on his white coat (put his on after he some me with mine on)

Uh-huh. Lol. And it took you until now? Glad you had a good session. :)
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:11 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:meet with a local pro today and did some pattern blind work on a field that has some cut strips with some short cover (can tell the difference in the cut from the cover) and had to run each blind about 3 times before she would start taking a good inital line and not cheat the cover. and first time i ran her (really windy) had a camo jacket on the second time threw on a cheap white coat (got a white hoodie from walmart for $10) from the suggestion of someone and man it was almost like night and day in her taking a cast (could have been from running the same blinds before) but like someone suggested to me if you are teaching something wear a white coat dog can just plain see you better. even the trainer i was training with noticed his dogs took better cast when he threw on his white coat (put his on after he some me with mine on)

hey i bought the jacket friday afternoon but today was the first day back to training from the weekend of scouting and hunting. (should have stuck to training)

also it was a pretty good session had the wind dead in our face not something we have ever worked on before if i didnt have to leave the house at 12:30 today i think we would have tried a cross wind set up as well.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:17 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
CatSquirrel wrote:

hey i bought the jacket friday afternoon but today was the first day back to training from the weekend of scouting and hunting. (should have stuck to training)

also it was a pretty good session had the wind dead in our face not something we have ever worked on before if i didnt have to leave the house at 12:30 today i think we would have tried a cross wind set up as well.

Ha!!!!
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:20 pm

tuesday and wendsday were cold (really really cold) so didnt train but went scouting today and i know it isnt training but did introduce belle to some ice. didnt have a bumper or anything to try and get her to retrieve in ice but walked out as far as i could in my knee boots and she followed me around and got used to it but not something i think she will really enjoy till she gets to chase a duck across it.
krazybronco2
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum