What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:18 pm

went hunting this morning and not a lot of action but did take one redhead and belle made a nice 50yard retrieve. first time working off a boat and she went flying off the boat and had to chase the duck for about 30 secs (glad it never dove on her) but she came up with it.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Did a session of TT this morning. Was Kirby's birthday today. He's one today. My girlfriend made him take a picture with the hat and noise maker. I think it's funny so I'll share with all of you.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Nice bronco, bet that was fun to watch. :thumbsup:
:lol: cn44 nice pic of the party animal Happy Birthday to Kirby.

Yesterday was our last day duck hunting. We have a couple more weeks for geese.
The pearl only got 1 retrieve and it was my buddys duck. After his dog didn't mark the fall
and failed to find it he asked if I could try. Hell he didn't really know where it landed in the marshy brush.
I sent the Pearl back gave 2 whistle stops and casts then you could just see her nose catch scent. A few seconds later
she returned with a greenhead only to have my buddys dog try and steal it from her. Was a nice finish to our season.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:22 pm

tough set up today the first mark was into the open nice and easy but the second mark was into cover and using ATBs (not a lot of scent) made it hard for the dogs to set up a hunt unless they stepped on the bird. Belle had to run the mark 3 times before she figured out what was going on. she was marking them but couldn't wind it and her hunt got really big even handling her to the area and then helping her she was still having problems. but might have also been because we were trying something new and running out of a dog blind something she had never done. but she kenneled perfectly and was steady.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:36 am

this morning did an ABCD drill more at hunt test distances nothing super long and belle did great on it didn't get behind a gun and didn't even slow down going through an old fall.

then the trainer I have been working with is going to AR with 2 dogs so wanted to work on some hunting scenarios with the 2 dogs so belle got to participate. you need 3 people 4 bumpers 2 dogs and 2 handlers with guns and poppers. throw 3 bumpers at once the 2 handlers shoot twice at the 3 bumpers and then as soon as they are done shooting the 4th bumper comes flying and long (like a duck trying to get away) and both handlers shoot once at that bumper. send one dog and the other honors then the next dog goes. it was the most exciting thing I have done when training a dog almost like a duck hunt but works on steadiness honoring and remembering where birds are. and belle did this 4 times and by the end she was really getting some happy feet but never broke but bumpers where everywhere some even landing 5ft in front of her but didn't break so I was happy with that. also used duck calls and a lot of talking almost like a hunt. great little training setup for a hunting dog that has to hunt with other dogs.

wish I had the go pro on for that hunting set up.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:01 pm

today didnt have time to go train with anyone so just 15mins in the yard to work on sit so put a big pile of bumpers out maybe 30yards away. she has been doing good but not great so wanted to try and clean up the whistle sit in a nice controlled evironment. but will be doing it again tomorrow in a new place and make it solid so hopfully i wont be correcting as much in the field as i have been.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Been cold and blizzard conditions the last two days here. Haven't gotten much done other than working on some obedience in the house.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:12 pm

CN44 you need to move south!
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:53 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:CN44 you need to move south!

Trying to. Actually have something in the works right now.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:23 pm

today trained with a day trainer of one of the pros i train with alot. first set up was a pretty easy set up. one mark was from tree to tree with an open field behind it. the second mark was a down the tree line. she ran her golden on the marks first as singles then after belle ran them as a double. Belle ran them as a double. that took no time to do so set up a little marking drill but step up in a line so the dogs had to run through 2 fall areas by the time the gunner got to the last stake. Belle ran first and did well on the first 2 marks then got a little lost and came back and picked up a bumper left at the shorter stake so i handled her to the other bumper called her in then ran the last mark again. not the best way to handle the situation but i wasnt letting her come back in by being lazy. the other dog did well but needed help on the long bird and re ran the mark and picked it up fine.

to finish it off i ran a single T to get some whistle sit corrections and work on her right overs with some disiplined casting.

got alot done and all dogs did ok still have work to do and plan on running some blinds on friday with in some marks and see how she does with them.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:03 pm

no real dog work today since it is the last weekend of the season Belle and I went and did some scouting mostly a lot of walking and letting belle have some fun but did modify my invisilab dog stand (took the bars off that hold the blind) for this weekend and worked on getting her to place on to it in the house for about 10-15mins and she did fine but ready to see how the birds work in the morning and hope to finish the season with a bang and get belle on more that 2 birds in a hunt. also hoping that hunt training we did earlier in the week pays off.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Got up to about 40 today so we did some TT before the freezing rain came. Tossing around if I want to move right on to pattern blinds or take a break and just run a lot of marks and let the dog stretch back out and have fun.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:20 pm

went hunting this morning and belle added a new bird to her list of retrieves with some gadwalls. first group that came in we dropped 2 and thought she saw both go down but it was an inline double and a pretty hard double cause the second bird was just winged and by the time she got back with the first bird the second one was on an island so after the hunt we went to the island I let her off the boat and told her to hunt it up and it flapped a couple of times and she went crazy chasing the bird around but picked it up so we didn't loose the cripple. had a chance at a couple of hollywoods but missed and kinda glad because she broke on them. but one more day to hunt but she will be staying home only because we wont have room in the boat for 4 people and 2 dogs.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Well we have another 5 degree day with 40 mph winds and a blizzard. Watching Lardy's TRM again today and taking notes.
cn44
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Got my pup from a lady that posted on Facebook about free lab pups to give away. I'm sure she has no hunting bloodline and I didn't get a chance to look at her parents. This is my first time training. I try to read every post on here and rtf to further my knowledge, also many of youtube videos and any other things I can find online. With that said, she (Nelli) is doing great with training already. She has sit & come down, almost potty trained but still has a few accidents every now and then. She has a nose on her too, when I take her out she'll have that nose in the air and wind something then follow right to it, usually a bone or dead mole that the cats have killed. She goes nuts over a duck wing, and is doing great with retrieving. She is 10 weeks old btw.

Today were working on sit and come. She does it good but I'm trying to take things slow to make sure she understands fully. Probably do a little retrieving in the hallway of the house too. I'll be glad when it warms up, pretty hard to stay outside for long in these negative temps.

Sorry for the long post just trying to make an introduction before I start posting in this thread. Great looking dogs everybody.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:20 pm

Welcome chasin tail and nelli.
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. Hold on and Have Fun......

This weekend we went to a club training day kinda a test prep.
The Pearl did real good on her first two. a 100 yard memory and a 100 yard go bird, both in good cover.
Then our live flyer...wellllllll. The pheasant flew the wrong way took the gunners alot to
bring it down. Ended up being 160 yards across two ditches. We got it but it wasn't pretty.
The next series of 3 birds she nailed the 100 to 125 yard marks. Only flaw was she dropped the second one
at my feet. And wasn't going to pick it up. She hates half frozen, rotting, slobber ducks. Had her fetching
fish (slimy trout) to show her slime is good...LOL
Happy training.
Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:12 am

well here in GA it snowed and Belle wasn't sure what it was and wouldn't even go potty in it so did a couple of fun bumpers in the back yard and she found out it was fun so went out to a field and ran a couple of pattern blinds in the snow and a couple of hand thrown marks since no one would go train with me and I didn't want to set up the wingers.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 am

krazybronco2 wrote:well here in GA it snowed and Belle wasn't sure what it was and wouldn't even go potty in it so did a couple of fun bumpers in the back yard and she found out it was fun so went out to a field and ran a couple of pattern blinds in the snow and a couple of hand thrown marks since no one would go train with me and I didn't want to set up the wingers.

It's funny how a change in environment throws a dog for such a loop. Even here in Minnesnowta all the dogs give that first snowfall a double take like what the heck is this stuff.

Weather here has been so sporadic, 30 one day -15 the next. Consistent 20mph+ winds. Been difficult to train. Haven't really paid much attention the weather until this year and wanting to be able to train daily. Now realize it sucks ha. When we get a nice stretch of consistent temps we will be starting pattern blinds then going back to swim by and water work late spring when the weather permits.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:20 pm

nothing much today just a blind behind the gun to revisit it again only problem was belle got kinda lost on a mark (cause of the snow and the dokken landing belly up) and went and picked up the blind. tried to stop her but just wasnt quick enough with the whistle but got a good correction in and now really just need to start working on some more challenging marks with some blinds.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:39 am

krazybronco2 wrote:well here in GA it snowed and Belle wasn't sure what it was and wouldn't even go potty in it so did a couple of fun bumpers in the back yard and she found out it was fun so went out to a field and ran a couple of pattern blinds in the snow and a couple of hand thrown marks since no one would go train with me and I didn't want to set up the wingers.

I know exactly how you feel. We've had snow here in ky for the last couple weeks and it's really put a hurting on our potty training. Nelli would just sit there and eat the snow rather than peeing or pooping on it. Pretty frustrating when I'd take her out and stand there for 20 minutes then as soon as we'd get inside she would poop or pee in the house. I try to stay calm, I'm sure she'll get it when she gets a little older and understands I don't like when she pottys in the house.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:44 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:Welcome chasin tail and nelli.
Looking forward to hearing about your adventures. Hold on and Have Fun......

This weekend we went to a club training day kinda a test prep.
The Pearl did real good on her first two. a 100 yard memory and a 100 yard go bird, both in good cover.
Then our live flyer...wellllllll. The pheasant flew the wrong way took the gunners alot to
bring it down. Ended up being 160 yards across two ditches. We got it but it wasn't pretty.
The next series of 3 birds she nailed the 100 to 125 yard marks. Only flaw was she dropped the second one
at my feet. And wasn't going to pick it up. She hates half frozen, rotting, slobber ducks. Had her fetching
fish (slimy trout) to show her slime is good...LOL
Happy training.
Spry

Thanks. I haven't been able to get her out much in this weather and it seems like she's going kind of backwards. When I say SIT now she just looks at me, rather than sitting like she was before. But I keep pushing her butt down and praising when she does. Hopefully she'll pick it back up soon so we can move on.

We have been working on Sit & Down the last few days and a little retrieving in the house.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby frydaddy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:57 am

ChasinTail wrote:

I know exactly how you feel. We've had snow here in ky for the last couple weeks and it's really put a hurting on our potty training. Nelli would just sit there and eat the snow rather than peeing or pooping on it. Pretty frustrating when I'd take her out and stand there for 20 minutes then as soon as we'd get inside she would poop or pee in the house. I try to stay calm, I'm sure she'll get it when she gets a little older and understands I don't like when she pottys in the house.

do u have a kennel or crate? even puppies don't like to pee where they sleep. take her out of it in the morning and straight outside when she does her business lots of praise or a treat. and do the same when u take her out during the day. I have 2 dogs3and10 to this day my 10yr old thinks everytime he goes outside for even a minute he is supposed to get a treat. he comes in walks to kitchen area and sits facing the cabinet where they are. ive even watched him hike his leg do nothing and when we walk back in go repeat the facing the kitchen. ya he fakes it for a treat LOL

at her age reward for every good behavior either crazy praise or a treat. remember its in her blood to really want to please you, so she will learn that going out side makes you happy faster than she will learn that going in side makes u unhappy.
frydaddy
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:54 pm

today went up to the lake house and ran a couple of short setups cause I had a buddy that is trying to train his pup. but our set up was in the trees kind of like flooded timber with out the water two marks for both dogs and a blind with belle. on Friday belle wouldn't take a cast to save her life but the last two days she has taking casts like a pro and the blinds are not super easy for her being cold and some have been under the arc of the fall a couple of the other blinds being pinched between 2 marks. but both dogs did good on the second set up one mark in the trees but in landing in an open area and then one splashing about 10 yards into the water. the reason for the second mark hitting the water is because all the marks we saw today were on land and wanted to see the perseverance of both dogs to hit the water and not to stop short. the pup ran all singles and belle ran the second set up as a double with the mark hitting the water as the memory bird. with hunt test season just around the corner we need to start working on water set ups but hard to do that with the temps we have had lately.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:25 am

This weekend with nobody to train with and no open water we did alot of cold blind retrieves. I had to put the Pearl in her
crate and cover it with towels so she couldn't cheat. Shes pretty crafty when it comes to cheating and watching where you set up.
Had 3 thawed ducks and set them up between 100 and 200 yards with many suction factors involved. Helped me with seeing the factors and being ready to respond when they sucked her in. And they did, she took good whistles and casts for the most part and did everything asked of her. Just not as perfect as we would like. In 5 locations we did 15 set ups. Also some walk up and line manners. Shooting doubles from a retriever trainer. We did have some breaking issues when the second one was shot. We nipped that crap real quick. All in all it went pretty good, I think I may have learned more than she did on how to be her handler. Also good to see she has the confidence, and perseverance to go deep with no popping or loss of momentum in real crappy terrain.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:39 am

going to rain today so got out quickly today and did a NO-NO drill since we have never done one. and Belle did ok for her first time got about 30 yards from the small brush pile before we called it a day. but had to handle on almost every return to keep her coming back the way she came. plan on going back tomorrow and running it again and move to about 50 yards away and then switch sides for a different look. trying to get her set up for doing some water soon.
krazybronco2
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum