What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:39 pm

went and meet with our trainer today to train and pick belle up. and ran pattern blinds between wingers (no marks) and a couple of water blinds and to my surprise she ran a really good seasoned water blind and got to the land and the first blind was good (they were pretty tight and longer on each one) second she just about lined a couple of cast and she was there the third land blind got pretty nasty and then had to help her cause she got confused so shortened it up and ran it agin from the line. the last was a pretty nasty finished blind through decoys and aquatic vegitation and even some low hanging trees and it was nasty and someone couldnt do do it. i wasnt disappointed and should have just put her up after the land blind but i think if it had been more swimming water and less of everything else she would have done it.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Bronco, sounds like Belle is doing great!
When i got to the races today i found out they were 300 yard marks or longer. :eek: No way we could play, were just not good enough yet. So i went to another part of the training grounds and behold my two buddys were there setting up so we joined them.
The setup was the last tune up for them before a master test next weekend. 4 wingers,goose decoys, duck decoys, and a crate full of live pigeons inline to a mark. The dogs had to cross a cattail infested canal for two of the marks and one of the blinds. We didn't
look to pretty today. We got it done but not like the veteran dog and handlers, But were rookies to the test game and it's alot different than hunting.
One that really gave us problems was one thrown towards us about 125 yards away into the cattail quagmire across the canal. She scented the pigeons on her way out and had to check them out. Then left them for the mark a bit confussed so she had to work it out, which she did without help just took a bit. Another problem was she broke again on one bird :fingerhead:
A positve was on the way in on the second mark a winger shot a bird right at her and she didn't take the bait and continued in with the retrieve. One of the guys is a judge and he scored us. Besides the obvious brake failure. Other than that said we would get called back, but not by much. Her perserverance10 and style 8 saved us her marking was marginal 5 and trainability 6.
But for a junior dog were happy how we pulled through this setup.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Spry looks like u had a nice challenging day and now just time to build some confidence during the week for next weekend.

Also meant to add if we are looking good on some longer water blinds (100yards or so) we will be running trying for a seasoned title this spring but all depends on the the water blind cause everything else is in place for a seasoned test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:58 pm

today just a few land blinds like yesterday but no wingers out short to long all pretty tight but not super tight to confuse the dog when lining and today went really well only a 2 cast refusals and they were minor could have maybe gotten away with them but wanted the exact cast. also used some of the advise i got from the trainer cause according to him im the opposite of everyone else i handle slow. what he means is i let the dog way to long before giving a cast. also i was moving at the line alot so as to correct i stood still and as soon as her butt hit the ground and looked at me i gave the cast and it seemed to work pretty well will see if it works tomorrow.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:14 pm

No training for us today. The Pearl woke up with a slight limp so we took the day off.

Bronco I got repremanded for the same thing, being to slow on the whistle and letting her get to deep before stopping.
I also got told I was casting to quickly. She sometime has a preconseived notion where shes going and not taking my cast as givin.
Blowing me off so to say. By letting her sit there a few seems to clear that out of her mind and she takes the proper cast much better. I'm off tomorrow hope shes ready to run. Me watching training videos and reading all day i'm bored in the house.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:27 pm

went to train by myself and ran into anouther pro i train with so trained with him and ran just one long blind around 200yards and she ran it like a pro through briars and tight to a road and with a small side hill angeling down toward anouther road.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:11 pm

today a land triple not super hard more of a seasoned/senior double with a breaking/whipout bird and a blind just off the edge of area of the fall of the second mark. Belle slammed the triple and 2 whistled the blind. only thing i really need to work on is the happy feet at the line but normally happens when it has been at least a week since she has seen some marks.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Finished my homemade wingers. Ran a few singles to see how they worked. Hope to get a setup in tomorrow with a double.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:01 pm

cn44 wrote:Finished my homemade wingers. Ran a few singles to see how they worked. Hope to get a setup in tomorrow with a double.

need pics of them
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Here's a sneak peak. Will get more detailed pictures when I get home. I'll make a post in the homemade equipment thread as not to get this off track too much. Can also post dimensions I used.
cn44
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 am

Sweet...I will watch for your post, so I can ask some questions about it! Looks awesome. Remote wingers are a must have for the guy that is training alone!
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:26 am

Got pictures and some info posted up on the wingers.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:21 am

Today wanted to get in some water since it was almost 65 degrees at 9 this morning so two singles one angled in and splashing in the water and the second mark was angled back and landing on land about 20 yards off the edge of the water. The first was not to hard the second was not easy with the wind pushing the dog away from the mark so she had to fight the wind and get up on shore. She did ok caved to the wind but corrected herself with about a quarter of the retrieve to go if not she would have been 20 yards wide of the bird when she came out of the water.

Then ran a seasoned water blind cause we have been having a lot of issues with every aspect of a water blind but she did really good. She started off with poor initial line but stopped her gave her a left angled back cast and she took it but started to scallop and stopped and the same cast took it swam a little bit then started to scallop and again so stopped her gave her the same cast and she took it and exited about a yard short of blind. All in all a good day

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:21 pm

today was a couple of water blinds first was around 30-35 yards and the second one was around 65-70 yards. the first blind she was dry and jumped in the water and right back out and after that did just fine. the second blind i backed up on land so she had about 10 yards to run before getting in the water and she took a horrible line but brought her back and she went on the right line but started to cave to the shore line and after a couple of scallops or a cast refusal (hard to tell what it was) she took a nice long angled back cast. put her up for a bit and then threw some simple water marks with a few that were really cheaty and then came and ran the long water blind again and again started to cave to the shore line but this time gave her the angled back cast and she carried it all the way. not saying we are ready for a seasoned water blind but if the weather stays like it has been i will be ramping up the difficulty of her water blinds.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:21 pm

This is what we worked on today...likely tomorrow too with 10-16" of snow coming down right now...SMH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Labs
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:30 pm

[quote=
This is what we worked on today...likely tomorrow too with 10-16" of snow coming down right now...SMH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote]

You're over towards central mn right? We're lucky out where I'm at. Not getting much snow at all. Just a lot of wind.
Picture is from two days ago after we ran a few marks.
cn44
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:27 am

Yeah...I haven't seen bare ground since early December...

Labs
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:56 am

Cn44 I love that pic

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 am

krazybronco2 wrote:Cn44 I love that pic

That's a wicked looking sky!
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby cn44 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks. Sky wasn't bad, photo was taken with an iPhone and touched up using an editor.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Today is belles birthday and she is a whole two years old! But after watching way to many SRS videos on YouTube at work I decided to try a poison bird with belle but only cause she has been handling really well and wanted to try and start working on some more advanced things. So winger about 30yards from the blind and the blind being on the back side of the gun. So ran the blind, throw the mark no her off the mark run the blind. She did really pretty good but u could tell she was thinking cause she wasn't running hard and keep looking at the mark but running pretty straight. Then pick up the mark and I burned her memory pretty good cause I needed up having to handle.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 pm

Mine is a little past 11 weeks, and with the snow outside training is going to be rough. Any recommendations for starting a pup when there's 18"+ on the ground. Only consolation might be she's not minding the snow thus far (just slows her down and distracts her), and seems pretty big for her age. Almost 23 lbs at 11wks.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1393034245322.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Went and trained with my pro today ran a true seasoned set up both land and water. She smoked the land test. On the water set up we did the walk up and got a little work to do on that she wanted to creep and the water blind was not good Danny said with the the water blind it would have been marginal if I would have passed but the water marks and diversion she smoked. Got work to do in the next month cause I plan on running her at our test at the end of March and then try and finish her seasoned title not to long after that!

Also most of her problems are not cause she can't do the work it is cause she has a retarded handler!

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:02 pm

sunday ran a seasoned double with a blind right inbetween the marks. stepped on the marks and only one big cast refusal on the blind but other than that not bad. also got to watch some upland training and i cant wait to start training for that cause all the dogs that ran it were just jacked up and loved it.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Krazy arent you a member of Midlands HRC and if so have you guys determined a location for the test yet????? I am trying to find some test location that are somewhat near me.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum